“Why charge £10 for internet connection when it's free to land one's helicopter ?”

Ston Easton Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ston Easton
Roding Valley
Reviewed 7 August 2011

A lovely place to stay and a lovely garden to walk around.
No Spa or Swimming pool, but at the moment the place is under administration.

Breakfast was ok, but basic

We had a lovely dinner at the hotel and the chef is very creative and used produce from the wonderful kitchen garden, the avocado ice cream was fabulous. The service was excellent.

There is a friendly little dog, we don't normally stay anywhere with a dog, but this little fella was fine, and had a ball in his mouth the whole time, so doesn't bite.

There are no tea and coffee making facilities in the room but they will bring a kettle to your room on request, my husband always carries his Roobush Tea bags, so bring your own.

Nice Culpepper toiletries in the bathroom, face flannel and heated towel rail, but no shower caps, don't book the room called Kent, because it's noisy from some sort of generator at night, like an extractor fan sound, and you can bee seen using the bathroom , by the staff, who were milling around below.

We ordered the International Herald Tribune for the morning, but were given the Murdock rag called The Times, which we took back to Reception. I was told you have to give 2 days notice to get the IHT, so be warned if that's your paper of preference.

No lift, and our room was on the 3rd floor, no problem for us, but be warned if you have difficulties on the stairs.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank RodingValley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We stayed in this hotel for the first time in March picking the hotel mainly as it was close to the venue of a friends wedding. We loved the hotel so much we decided to come back and stay for my partners birthday.

For our second visit we booked the Master Suite and im very glad that we did, the room is simply beautiful. The room is large and tastefully decorated with a large four poster bed with a good size sitting area. It has four large sash windows which offer fantastic views out on to the gardens and river. The bed is very comfortable and the room has a relaxing feel about it, the bathroom is large and very clean.

We had coffee and papers delivered each morning and it was nice to wake up slowly whilst sitting on the comfortable seating area reading the paper and sipping on my coffee. The breakfast was delicious and with a great selection, I simply wanted poached eggs on brown toast which was not on the menu but they made it for me anyway, there was a good selection of juices, fruit, cereal etc.

We ate both times at the hotel restaurant, the service was efficient and friendly but not quick, but the setting was so calm and relaxing and the staff so friendly we didn't mind. The food was delicious and cooked to perfection, I simply cannot fault it.

The staff although small in number were simply fantastic, they really could not have done more to make our stay better. However they are small in number and when the hotel was busy waiting times increased.

Ston Easton has a resident dog, a Springer Spaniel named Oscar. I believe he is makes the hotel, he is friendly and fun! He even took me and my partner for a walk around the grounds on both of our visits to the hotel! He is definitely part of the charm and really makes the stay at the hotel that little bit more special.

This hotel has a special place in my heart and I really mean it! We have stayed at many 5 star hotels but none of them quite have the same effect on me. I think I love it so much due to the relatively small amount of rooms making it feel special and private. The staff are great and the hotel is simply beautiful in a fantastic setting. Oscar of course is the icing on the cake.

WE have stayed twice now and we will be back! I only hope the issues with the Von Eason group does not ruin this beautiful hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Stayed as part of a group, with drinks in the library and dinner in a private dining room. Friendly, unobtrusive staff ensured that everything went smoothly. Enjoyed the food, the wine, the room and the overall quality of the hotel. Lovely plasterwork!

Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Essex, Uk
Reviewed 30 July 2011

This is the second time we have stayed here. This time we took friends for a special celebration and were nervious that it would not be as good the second time, we needn't have been concerned. The staff were so friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble, this extended to contact with the hotel prior to staying there as we were able to book specific rooms by phoning even though we had booked iniially via the internet.
The restaurant is fantasic and the food and service could not be faulted in any way. The hotel is not cheap but you certainly get great value, I would have no hesitation in recommending it and this is based on a couple of visits spread 4 years apart. Even Oscar, the hotel pet dog has impeccable manners!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Shropshire
Reviewed 7 July 2011

My husband and I have recently returned from a 2 night break at this hotel. I recommend it wholeheartedly.

My main reason for choosing to stay at the Ston Easton was the building itself. I can't resist a beautiful old house. I was not disappointed. From outside the building is grand, but not huge, inside the rooms are stately home perfection; glorious plasterwork, lovely proportions, and antique furniture.

On arriving at the hotel we discovered we had been upgraded. Our room was called 'Repton' and beautifully furnished with a vast bed, settee, chairs and an antique wardrobe and writing table. It was large, with lovely views over Repton's water cascade (stream). The bathroom was very large, complete with a slipper bath and double shower. Definately a very, very nice bathroom. Everything was spotlessly clean.

The staff were all charming and very professional. Altogether they produced a really friendly, relaxing atmosphere which is pretty clever considering the grandier of the building. The staff includes an energetic and super friendly dog which meets cars on arrival and takes guests for walks.

My husband and I chose to eat from the lounge menu both evenings that we were at the hotel. We didn't want the expense or the calories of the main restaurant. The food was very good; salmon and new potatoes, risotto, warm chicken and bacon salad etc. It was rather like what you'd eat at home if you had the time and skill. The price was very reasonable indeed, as was the price for coffee/tea.

The hotel has a large and charming garden. There are plently of flowers and shrubs to admire, but it's the vegetable garden, green houses and orchards which supply the house which I enjoyed. It's fun knowing the peas in your salad came from the garden outside.

The hotel is perfectly located for visiting sights such as the SS Great Britain in Bristol and Tyntesfield near Bristol. It was only 40 minutes to Montecute and 15 minutes to Wells town.

I will come back to this hotel as soon as I can find an excuse. It is beautiful and charming. In fact, I like this hotel so much, I'd move in given half a chance.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chocolategoddess
West Sussex UK
Reviewed 28 June 2011

My third stay at this lovely hotel. The staff are well motivated, helpful and friendly, the quality of rooms excellent

Despite the change from the von Easson group the standards are as high as ever.

One tip; if you like radio bring your own...........other than that, perfect!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 27 May 2011

A truly impeccable hotel!

This is one of the mostcharming hotels I have stayed in, anywhere...

While not cheap, it represents value for money, given the elegant country-house setting, the bed-room with four-poster bed, bathroom and so on. We found the food almost one-star Michelin, although the wine was a little on the expensive side.

The service was quite in order and low-key, thankfully.

Slept like a proverbial log - in the total silence of the night!

Likely to stay again if passing through onto the West country!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
The Royal Crescent Hotel & Spa
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
Bailbrook House Hotel
Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel

Been to Ston Easton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!