“Beautiful and relaxing!”

Ston Easton Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ston Easton
Reviewed 7 September 2011

We invited my husband's parents to this gorgeous place and stayed for three nights (I had managed to get a 3 for 2 nights offer through my airmiles account). Everything there is done to perfection. The interior is stunning as are the gardens and park. The service is faultless, friendly and down to earth. Breakfasts were good and dinner was amazing. We felt like royalty, pampered from morning to evening. Oscar, the house dog added to the family atmosphere. We can only recommend this wonderful place, where everything is done to a very high standard indeed.

Reviewed 3 September 2011

This place is really quite special. It's not perfect but somehow that doesn't matter at all. It has an informal atmosphere which perfectly complements the grand surroundings and allows you to feel as though you are staying with friends instead of in a hotel. We stayed for 4 nights in August and it was thoroughly relaxing. I got a great 4 nights for 3 deal through Superbreak and we had a classic room, 'Kent', which was spacious enough and had a lovely big bathroom. It was up three flights of stairs which was a bit of a trek but you have to expect that in a mansion of this type with lots of staircases and corridors and no lift. Our luggage was brought to and from our room by a hotel porter so no issues there. The staff make the hotel, they are efficient but very friendly and take the time to get to know their guests. Housekeeping was the only area that wasn't perfectly efficient, turnaround of our room seemed hurried and incomplete and turndown on the last night was forgotten altogether. No matter, we did it ourselves.

Oscar the dog loves everyone and makes friends with the guests who want to get to know him. We watched him enjoy a game of croquet on the lawn with a German family who were staying. He didn't quite get the concept though and was much keener to play run and fetch with the croquet balls! The grounds are lovely, particularly the walk down to Gardener's Cottage. The range of Du Barry boots available for loan by hotel guests was also a lovely touch. I imagine they are well used in the winter months when it gets muddy outside.

Dining was mixed, we ordered a late lunch on arrival and it came with inedible chips. We were also seated in the salon which was slightly awkward, eating at a coffee table. However, breakfast was consistently excellent with a small but high quality buffet and excellent hot dishes cooked to order. We only dined in the fine dining restaurant on our last night, slightly nervously following the lunch experience. At £50 per head for 3 courses, we were hoping for something better. We certainly got it and needn't have worried! Dinner was phenomenal, truly excellent, and one of the best meals I've had in a long time. The dining room is also pretty special, small but intimate with light grey and white panelling. Beautiful.

On our other three nights we went out into the local area. Dinner at Charlton House was also exceptional (see separate review). We spent one fabulous evening at a little known place called 'At The Chapel' in Bruton, don't miss it! Finally, we ate at the Manor House pub in Ditcheat, also very good.

Back at Ston Easton, the house itself has many public rooms, including a library and a smaller salon in which to retire to with a good book or a magazine. Outside you can sit and look out on the lawn with a drink in hand. There is also, apparently, a house ghost but we didn't see her thankfully!

I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and would love to return in the future. I found it particularly impressive that the hotel continued to run as it did given the news that the Von Essen chain had gone into administration. The staff were clearly concerned about their futures. I only hope the new owners, when it is eventually sold, build on the winning formula, rather than destroy the special charm it has. It would be a tragedy to turn this wonderful house into a corporate residence and lose its individuality.

Room Tip: A classic room was plenty enough space, with double or twin beds
Reviewed 14 August 2011

My husband surprised me with the best treat of all. He told me to pack for two nights. Got in the car and ended up at Ston Easton Park. We were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary . A superb room, we had the east tower suite which was one of the cheaper choices but was very luxurious, fantastic views from the bathroom and the bedroom. I was greeted with flowers ( supplied by the hotel). The evening meal was to die for. I can honestly say it was the tastiest meal I have ever had. The chef is a creative genius. Everything on the plates was perfect. Breakfast was also superb. So much choice. The hotel was very clean and flawless. Very quiet and the staff were always very helpful and very efficient . The location was also good as we were close to the cities of Bath and Wells. Both beautiful places to visit. A perfect weekend break.

Room Tip: East tower suite. Excellent but there is a pump noise, very faint.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hampshireromantics
Reviewed 7 August 2011

A lovely place to stay and a lovely garden to walk around.
No Spa or Swimming pool, but at the moment the place is under administration.

Breakfast was ok, but basic

We had a lovely dinner at the hotel and the chef is very creative and used produce from the wonderful kitchen garden, the avocado ice cream was fabulous. The service was excellent.

There is a friendly little dog, we don't normally stay anywhere with a dog, but this little fella was fine, and had a ball in his mouth the whole time, so doesn't bite.

There are no tea and coffee making facilities in the room but they will bring a kettle to your room on request, my husband always carries his Roobush Tea bags, so bring your own.

Nice Culpepper toiletries in the bathroom, face flannel and heated towel rail, but no shower caps, don't book the room called Kent, because it's noisy from some sort of generator at night, like an extractor fan sound, and you can bee seen using the bathroom , by the staff, who were milling around below.

We ordered the International Herald Tribune for the morning, but were given the Murdock rag called The Times, which we took back to Reception. I was told you have to give 2 days notice to get the IHT, so be warned if that's your paper of preference.

No lift, and our room was on the 3rd floor, no problem for us, but be warned if you have difficulties on the stairs.

1  Thank RodingValley
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We stayed in this hotel for the first time in March picking the hotel mainly as it was close to the venue of a friends wedding. We loved the hotel so much we decided to come back and stay for my partners birthday.

For our second visit we booked the Master Suite and im very glad that we did, the room is simply beautiful. The room is large and tastefully decorated with a large four poster bed with a good size sitting area. It has four large sash windows which offer fantastic views out on to the gardens and river. The bed is very comfortable and the room has a relaxing feel about it, the bathroom is large and very clean.

We had coffee and papers delivered each morning and it was nice to wake up slowly whilst sitting on the comfortable seating area reading the paper and sipping on my coffee. The breakfast was delicious and with a great selection, I simply wanted poached eggs on brown toast which was not on the menu but they made it for me anyway, there was a good selection of juices, fruit, cereal etc.

We ate both times at the hotel restaurant, the service was efficient and friendly but not quick, but the setting was so calm and relaxing and the staff so friendly we didn't mind. The food was delicious and cooked to perfection, I simply cannot fault it.

The staff although small in number were simply fantastic, they really could not have done more to make our stay better. However they are small in number and when the hotel was busy waiting times increased.

Ston Easton has a resident dog, a Springer Spaniel named Oscar. I believe he is makes the hotel, he is friendly and fun! He even took me and my partner for a walk around the grounds on both of our visits to the hotel! He is definitely part of the charm and really makes the stay at the hotel that little bit more special.

This hotel has a special place in my heart and I really mean it! We have stayed at many 5 star hotels but none of them quite have the same effect on me. I think I love it so much due to the relatively small amount of rooms making it feel special and private. The staff are great and the hotel is simply beautiful in a fantastic setting. Oscar of course is the icing on the cake.

WE have stayed twice now and we will be back! I only hope the issues with the Von Eason group does not ruin this beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Stayed as part of a group, with drinks in the library and dinner in a private dining room. Friendly, unobtrusive staff ensured that everything went smoothly. Enjoyed the food, the wine, the room and the overall quality of the hotel. Lovely plasterwork!

Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 July 2011

This is the second time we have stayed here. This time we took friends for a special celebration and were nervious that it would not be as good the second time, we needn't have been concerned. The staff were so friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble, this extended to contact with the hotel prior to staying there as we were able to book specific rooms by phoning even though we had booked iniially via the internet.
The restaurant is fantasic and the food and service could not be faulted in any way. The hotel is not cheap but you certainly get great value, I would have no hesitation in recommending it and this is based on a couple of visits spread 4 years apart. Even Oscar, the hotel pet dog has impeccable manners!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
The Bath Priory
#12 of 34 in Bath
The Royal Crescent Hotel & Spa
Bailbrook House Hotel

Been to Ston Easton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!