“Third visit and won't be the last”

Ston Easton Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ston Easton
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Third visit and won't be the last”
Reviewed 10 November 2011

This was our third visit to the hotel and for the second time we treated my parents to a little break as well. My partner and I booked the Master Suite as we found the room so delightful on our last visit and we booked my parents in to the Green Room.

I booked the two night stay by phone as I prefer to speak to an actual person than use the internet, plus whenever I use the internet things tend to go wrong! The details of the bookings were arranged by email. I asked for flowers be placed in my parents room as a surprise for my mother and chocolates I'm my room as a treat for my partner. The process was easy and everything went smoothly and the flowers delivered to my parents room were beautiful.

Arriving at the hotel we were once again welcomed by friendly and helpful staff, we checked in to room and changed for dinner.

We met my parents for pre-dinner drinks and canapés in the salon and sat by a lovely wood burning fire which was perfect as the weather outside was less than ideal, once again the service was attentive and the food was fantastic.

The hotel is dog friendly and this time we brought or two dogs with us taking advantage of the extensive grounds to walk them. Oscar the hotel spaniel was incredibly friendly and well behaved towards the new arrivals and I often found myself walking three dogs instead of two, Oscar really is the star of this hotel.

On our second night I asked for a tour of the house, this was conducted by one of the hotel managers Tom Baxter. Tom was very friendly and informative and spoke with passion about buildings past and the hotels future, he even seemed happy to answer our endless questions! Tom arranged for us to eat in the private dining room so that our dogs could be there with us.

Hidden in the basement is the billiard room which my partner and father seemed to enjoy but I found it a little dull, I had a glass of wine in the lovely library instead.

I cannot recommend this hotel enough, I feel suddenly relaxed the moment I walk through the door and I feel simply happy and content for my entire stay. A feeling that seems to be echoed by my parents and my partner.

The house and grounds are beautiful, the rooms are well appointed and tastefully decorated, the staff are simply wonderful and of course there is Oscar. All of this combined creates a wonderful hotel and our third visit won't be our last.

Room Tip: If you have dogs take them with you. If you want the best room book the Master Suite.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rileyspike

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Cookham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2011

We spent a night in Ston Easton on a romantic escape and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had the cheapest room but it was beautiful and really nicely designed. Breakfast was very yummy with continental choices and hot meals - We can particularly recommend the salmon and their poached eggs were delicious.

Oscar the hotel dog is also very friendly and you can take him for walks if you like!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Had our wedding here and at the last minute, we were charged £2 "cake corkage" per guest. The charge does not appear anywhere on the pricing material and really smacked of gouging, as we had already paid more than half of the deposit.

I complained to the manager Dennis Verrier and said that I would have to downgrade the menu to fund their "cake corkage". His reply was, "There's no way I'm getting that extra money off you is there?". Unbelievable. Sheer greed just put such a negative feeling in the lead up to what should be a wonderful celebration. It's a shame as the staff and facilities were excellent otherwise. My amazement at "cake corkage" is reflected in the value score.

Given the arrogance, greed and dishonesty of the manager, I can't recommend anyone to use this place for an event.

Room Tip: Ask for a room description list and floor plans.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
10 Thank ICYW
SKayR, Marketing at Ston Easton Park Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2011
We very much appreciate being able to address comments which are made about our hotel. The wedding went very well on the day and the team were delighted when they received appreciation for their hard work and commitment. We didn't charge for the substitution of the dessert with the wedding cake but if you are getting married it will be best for you to check how this might impact on the charges if you want to do the same. It's rather like bringing your own wine, check first, because there'll be a 'corkage' charge. The Bride and Groom found our staff and hotel “excellent”, we wish them a long and happy life together.
West Sussex UK
Reviewed 29 September 2011

The true quality of a Hotel shines through when you visit for the third time and and just do not want to leave.Service,food and facilities excellent, save the issue with room internet......I am assured this will be replaced in November. I found I had left my cuff links at home......mentioned it at reception and in a few moments was handed a pair......that's good service!. Looking forward to returning in the next few months......a great venue for business or leisure where nothing is too much trouble.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2011

We invited my husband's parents to this gorgeous place and stayed for three nights (I had managed to get a 3 for 2 nights offer through my airmiles account). Everything there is done to perfection. The interior is stunning as are the gardens and park. The service is faultless, friendly and down to earth. Breakfasts were good and dinner was amazing. We felt like royalty, pampered from morning to evening. Oscar, the house dog added to the family atmosphere. We can only recommend this wonderful place, where everything is done to a very high standard indeed.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Wiltshire, UK
Reviewed 3 September 2011

This place is really quite special. It's not perfect but somehow that doesn't matter at all. It has an informal atmosphere which perfectly complements the grand surroundings and allows you to feel as though you are staying with friends instead of in a hotel. We stayed for 4 nights in August and it was thoroughly relaxing. I got a great 4 nights for 3 deal through Superbreak and we had a classic room, 'Kent', which was spacious enough and had a lovely big bathroom. It was up three flights of stairs which was a bit of a trek but you have to expect that in a mansion of this type with lots of staircases and corridors and no lift. Our luggage was brought to and from our room by a hotel porter so no issues there. The staff make the hotel, they are efficient but very friendly and take the time to get to know their guests. Housekeeping was the only area that wasn't perfectly efficient, turnaround of our room seemed hurried and incomplete and turndown on the last night was forgotten altogether. No matter, we did it ourselves.

Oscar the dog loves everyone and makes friends with the guests who want to get to know him. We watched him enjoy a game of croquet on the lawn with a German family who were staying. He didn't quite get the concept though and was much keener to play run and fetch with the croquet balls! The grounds are lovely, particularly the walk down to Gardener's Cottage. The range of Du Barry boots available for loan by hotel guests was also a lovely touch. I imagine they are well used in the winter months when it gets muddy outside.

Dining was mixed, we ordered a late lunch on arrival and it came with inedible chips. We were also seated in the salon which was slightly awkward, eating at a coffee table. However, breakfast was consistently excellent with a small but high quality buffet and excellent hot dishes cooked to order. We only dined in the fine dining restaurant on our last night, slightly nervously following the lunch experience. At £50 per head for 3 courses, we were hoping for something better. We certainly got it and needn't have worried! Dinner was phenomenal, truly excellent, and one of the best meals I've had in a long time. The dining room is also pretty special, small but intimate with light grey and white panelling. Beautiful.

On our other three nights we went out into the local area. Dinner at Charlton House was also exceptional (see separate review). We spent one fabulous evening at a little known place called 'At The Chapel' in Bruton, don't miss it! Finally, we ate at the Manor House pub in Ditcheat, also very good.

Back at Ston Easton, the house itself has many public rooms, including a library and a smaller salon in which to retire to with a good book or a magazine. Outside you can sit and look out on the lawn with a drink in hand. There is also, apparently, a house ghost but we didn't see her thankfully!

I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and would love to return in the future. I found it particularly impressive that the hotel continued to run as it did given the news that the Von Essen chain had gone into administration. The staff were clearly concerned about their futures. I only hope the new owners, when it is eventually sold, build on the winning formula, rather than destroy the special charm it has. It would be a tragedy to turn this wonderful house into a corporate residence and lose its individuality.

Room Tip: A classic room was plenty enough space, with double or twin beds
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Gosport
Reviewed 14 August 2011

My husband surprised me with the best treat of all. He told me to pack for two nights. Got in the car and ended up at Ston Easton Park. We were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary . A superb room, we had the east tower suite which was one of the cheaper choices but was very luxurious, fantastic views from the bathroom and the bedroom. I was greeted with flowers ( supplied by the hotel). The evening meal was to die for. I can honestly say it was the tastiest meal I have ever had. The chef is a creative genius. Everything on the plates was perfect. Breakfast was also superb. So much choice. The hotel was very clean and flawless. Very quiet and the staff were always very helpful and very efficient . The location was also good as we were close to the cities of Bath and Wells. Both beautiful places to visit. A perfect weekend break.

Room Tip: East tower suite. Excellent but there is a pump noise, very faint.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
The Bath Priory
The Bath Priory
#11 of 31 in Bath
The Royal Crescent Hotel & Spa

Been to Ston Easton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!