“Felt like someone's home”

Ston Easton Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ston Easton
Hertfordshire
“Felt like someone's home”
Reviewed 27 July 2009

We went to Ston Easton a couple of week's back for a wedding and were really surprised that an hotel, which was part of a large group could feel so personable and welcoming. To the point that it is probably the only place (apart from home) I would ever consider having Christmas.
Although all departments did a good job, it's not that any stand out from the crowd. I've had better food and service etc elsewhere, but it was more that the whole package ticked all the boxes. The walled garden was delightful and we were lucky with the bedroom (Chinese) which I think might be my favourite having snooped around the next morning after breakfast. This was all capped off with a guided tour of the old kitchen and a history lesson from (I think) one of the managers.
All the staff were very sweet even though (as always in hotels) service was a bit slow. I would definitely like to go back and try eating a la carte rather than function food, though breakfast was good.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
London
Reviewed 11 July 2009

Stayed here for one night on a special deal including dinner and breakfast.. Lovely, large refurbished room on top floor (Vine) with new flat screen TV. However, it was very hot as it was under the roof, not helped by heavy winter weight duvet. Request room on lower floors in summer. Evening meal excellent as was the service. Breakfast was outstanding particularly the home made croissants. Will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Pryor, Oklahoma
Reviewed 24 June 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Ston Easton June the 14th for two nights, the only mistake we made was to not staying here longer. Upon arrival down the long drive you turn the corner and to see a beautiful estate that looked like it was right out of movie. They were having a classic car rally(car club), which I found out later from the photos on the walls down by the kitchen, have been held there since they started making cars. It was lovely to see the cars and the folks having a picnic among the hedges near the front of the house. We where greeted right away and checked in and shown our room. We had booked a classic room and they upgraded us to a state room, The Ludlow. This room had just been redone and it was perfect. Four poster bed , wonderful bedding, antiques I wanted to take home with me. Fabrics,colors and bath all well done, someone did a great job with this room, as well with the rest of the house. Fresh flowers all through the house. Of course I did not get to see the rest of the bedrooms rooms but I got a feeling you can't go wrong with any of them.
You really get the sense that you are stepping back in time when you enter the gates. It is the perfect place to stay if you want to get the English county side experience. The food was great and you do not want to miss the pleasure of walking through the garden, I could not wait to get home and get to work on my own garden, it will inspire you. Great spot for a honeymoon, and romance. Close to Wells and a short drive to Bath, both wonderful places to spend the day or just set in the window seat and read a Jane Austin novel. We will be back.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 8 June 2009

We stayed here to celebrate our first wedding anniversary this weekend. Everything was stunning. The location of the hotel is out of a Bronte novel. Its understated elegance and the staff our happy to help. We walked around the grounds in the afternoon including the large kitchen garden, you can even borrow the puppy Oscar for a walk and Dubarry Boots (if you have no suitable footwear), Guttingly the weather was not nice enough to take advance of the croquet set and the picnics they can supply. We had pre dinner drinks in the stunning drawing room (which has a turner painting) and then an exquisite meal with a good wine list. There is a new chef apparently and words cant describe the Butterscotch Mille-Feuille and the new Maître de is very attentive but not intrusive. On the Sunday we managed to visit the charming city of Wells before returning back to London. My only negative point would be that our bedroom (the Chinese room) was rather hot at night as we had to keep the windows closed due to the heavy rain.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Uk
Reviewed 23 March 2009

We had an overnight stay in December for our Wedding Anniversary and had a thoroughly enjoyable and relaxing time. On arrival we were upgraded to one of the State Rooms and it was heavenly with a four-poster bed. The room was at the front of the house and overlooked the lawns. It was beautiful.

We took pre-dinner drinks next to the fire whilst deciding on what to eat - our Waiter was very attentive and knowledgeable. The food was faultless and the presentation - imaginative and excellent.

In the morning, we had tea brought to our room which was a lovely touch.

It was a truly memorable experience and the staff were very friendly, I would definitely go again.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
Berkshire
Reviewed 7 March 2009

Rooms which are small and dated, dining which is slow and food which is both small and poor (I can cope with small if good - avoid the cooked breakfast). The signs were there from the start that you were to be ripped off as published drink prices, other than wines and spirits was nowhere to be found - £7 for less than a pint of beer, £8 for a single measure of spirit, and a bill which had 3 drinks added!! which when challenged was agreed as an error on their part!!! And a stroll in the gardens ended when slipping on dogs mess - pets should stay at home, I don't expect to stay at a hotel to find cats and dogs wandering around. Also £10 for broadband!!!!!!!!!!!!!! these people need to get real

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Henryq
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2009

Just got back from 3 nights with my girlfriend at Ston Easton Park and I only have praise for what was a lovely few days. We wanted to stay somewhere outside of Bath rather than in a city centre hotel. It is about a 30 minute drive but that didn’t bother us, plus it put us a little closer to places like Wells and Cheddar where we also wanted to visit.

We had the pink room which was one of their deluxe rooms. No sooner had we entered the front door that we were told to leave our luggage for one of the staff and were shown into our room. The room was extremely spacious and well decorated. I think the hotel has recently undergone a refurb and we were very pleased with our room. During our stay we also poked our head into the room opposite (the blue room) which was also lovely.

The one thing i always think can make or break a hotel like this is the staff and I have to say everyone we came into contact with was charming and couldn’t do enough to help us with whatever we needed. The communal areas such as the lounge and study are all comfortable and well kept and the fireplaces are gorgeous to sit near whilst having afternoon tea or just a quiet drink. The house dog Oscar is a lively little thing. Guests are allowed to take him for walks around the beautiful grounds which we did, although it seemed it was him taking us for a walk most of the time!

We didn’t have dinner at the hotel although the breakfast every morning was delicious (as was the sneaky chocolate brownie from room service). There was a great choice of cereal, fruit etc and the pastries were yummy! I also had the cooked option on a couple of the mornings and again it was excellent. We both had massages on one of the afternoons. The hotel gets someone in to do these as there is no one on site as such. It made little difference as the experience was still excellent and in fact maybe even better as we were able to have it in our own room

I really don’t have a bad word to say about this hotel. We were umming and ahhing about whether to go here or to Homewood Park (another Von Essen property) but i think we made the right choice. I think a lot of the reviews currently on TripAdvisor don’t take into account the recent refurb so be aware of that.

I will definitely be on the lookout for some other Von Essen hotels and I hope the group keeps up the high standards that Ston Easton has set. In other recommendations we went to The Old Spot restaurant in Wells which was a charming little restaurant with good food. It wasn’t such a great experience at the Olive Tree restaurant in Bath (in the Queensberry hotel) which we thought was expensive and average. In Cheddar we had a nice lunch at a small restaurant called Edelweiss

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
The Royal Crescent Hotel & Spa
Francis Hotel Bath - MGallery by Sofitel
Bailbrook House Hotel
Macdonald Bath Spa Hotel

Been to Ston Easton Park Hotel? Share your experiences!