“A Wonderful, Welcoming, Immaculately Clean Guest House”

The Mariner Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Watchet
The Mariner Guest House
Ranked #11 of 14 Watchet B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 June 2014

What an absolute gem of a find! We were fortunate enough to stumble upon this lovely guest house and received an amazing welcome from Gail the manageress who made us feel so very welcome - absolutely nothing was too much trouble. The breakfast (that was served exactly at the time we requested) was fabulous ... really beautifully cooked and presented. I can not praise this establishment enough - the rooms were immaculate, and the service second to none and the welcome warm. We wouldnt dream of staying anywhere else when we next visit. Thank you Gail you made our stay in Watchet extra special!

Room Tip: nothing is to much trouble which ever room you select
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 0504sharon

Reviewed 29 May 2014

It's close to the sea, but separated from it by a massive concrete sea wall that must be wonderfully effective in stormy weather but unfortunately blocks out most of the sea view. You can see a thin strip of sea above the concrete if you are an average sized adult but kids would be severely disappointed.
The house is right on the side of the main road through town, serving some popular pubs which can be pretty noisy at closing time. We were there at the week end and maybe they are quieter during the week; lets hope so.
The bed was as hard as any we've slept on. We both woke stiff all over and the manageress (the owner lives elsewhere . . .) very kindly transferred us to the other room where the bed was less hard.
Oh, yes the decorations have changed since the web site was made, the heavy wall paper and ornate imitation carved timber bed head in plastic reminded us of Hotel Dracula.
We parked at the back as directed, but were told that the space by the B&B space was the wrong place.
The rooms are billed as having free wifi. No wifi; not even a weak signal, just no signal at all. You have to go into the manageresses rooms, through the kitchen (locked door) to use her wifi.

Fortunately my wife and I are very partial to Indian cooking so the smells of the garlic and curry from the curry house next door were a great attraction. They do an excellent Indian too.

The breakfast was indifferent. Usual small plates to make the breakfast look bigger. Interesting to be served sliced bread toasted, I hadn't had any for years and was glad to be reminded how ghastly I found it.
In its favour the whole place was scrupulously clean and the rooms were good sized; but for £75pn, no thanks, no way. I must check to see if its lack of wifi and minimal sea views contravene the Trades Descriptions Act.

Room Tip: I'd try another B&B.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nigellc
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Myself and my partner recently had a lovely three night stay at the Mariner's Guest House..Its was meant to be a treat to make-up for a terrible music festival we went too earlier in Aug..Which was ruined by hundreds of drunk teenagers causing chaos on the campsite. I promised no camping this time and a nice family friendly festival free from idiots ..We stayed over the Bank holiday weekend arriving late due to terrible traffic..We were put in the Commanders Suit..No sea-view but was able to keep an eye on my crew van which was good as its my pride and joy.. I'd got us tickets for Watchet Live..And we just had the best time ever!..Janet our host was lovely and always at hand to help,us she even found a safety pin to secure my partners tail onto her costume..So as good as my word I writing a review..Our room was clean comfy and well presented..Also loved the books and games and all the interesting background information on the local area and all its history..Also there were lots of leaflets on things to do.. I was only expecting a continental breakfast as I'd looked at the previous land lady's web site only.. So was a fab surprise being offered a full English each day and cooked to perfection.. Was Yum...I would highly recommend a stay here if you like the personal touch always felt welcome and at home....Well done and thanks again for a lovely stay and a even better festival guys..

Johnny & Anna

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We have just spent three lovely nights at The Mariner and cannot praise it highly enough! It's quite the best b & b we've stayed in. The decor and size of our room (we stayed in the Captains Quarters) were excellent. And the en-suite itself was bigger than some rooms we've stayed in in the past! We cannot fault the attention to detail and the friendliness of the staff. The website states only continental breakfast was available, but we were offered a full English breakfast too. There was plenty of fresh fruit salad and yoghurts to go with the cereals, toast, croissants and pan au chocolat, not to mention the endless possibilities of how you want your eggs cooked! Tea or coffee and fruit juice completed the breakfast menu. What more could anyone ask for? The sea wall opposite the b & b was the only down side but you could see over it to the Welsh coast, and the binoculars provided were very useful. Watchet itself is charming and not over commercialised. There is a local steam railway that runs from Minehead to Bishops Lydeard, stopping at Watchet to pick up passengers. This is a trip worth going on for those who are in a nostalgic frame of mind or for others to experience travel as it used to be, and is a great way to view the countryside.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We have just returned from a lovely weekend at The Mariner Guest House. Our room, The Master's Cabin was nicely decorated and very clean. The staff are very friendly and make you feel welcome and comfortable. Free parking at the rear of the property makes this a great little place to stay. Watchet Harbour has everything you need with plenty of places to eat and drink. We will definitely be re-booking this gem of a place.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2013

We stayed in the Admirals Room at the front of the B&B, a lovely room with ensuite shower room. The whole place is very clean and staff were very friendly and helpful. We had a great breakfast with cereals, fruit salad,yoghurt as well as full English available. I can't fault the guest house at all... Except, the room is advertised as having stunning sea views. I suppose you can actually see the sea but is spoilt by building work on a huge sea wall. See photo
So I'd recommend the Mariner , just don't expect "stunning sea views"

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank GRAHAM S
Reviewed 16 September 2012

This was our first time at The Mariner B&B and we were very happy with it. The Admirals suite was very comfortable and spacious as was the bathroom with two sinks and large shower.
The continental breakfast was really good, trying Gena's homemade jams, yogurt's and mini rolls were delicious.
Gena and Chris have made a warm, cosy and inviting B&B, we will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Admirals Suite has a telescope and binoculars, very useful for looking over toward Wales
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple