“Lovely site, BUT blue badge drivers READ!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Watchet
Doniford Bay Holiday Park - Haven
Okehampton, United Kingdom
“Lovely site, BUT blue badge drivers READ!”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I found EVERYONE to be friendly and helpful. The caravan was nice and clean, there were a few shortages in kitchen equipment, but once I told them this was rectified within the hour. The maintenance man came and sorted the problem with the cooker in a short space of time. The mattresses were very good, brand new I think, such a shame that the huge delivery lorries meant no lie-in after 7am - read on to hear about that! Everyone chats, smiles, says hello, and I found the site clean and tidy, and the groundsmen do a fabulous job! All the grass neat and tidy, all the shrubs trimmed into neat shapes, the rubbish skips emptied quickly, couldn't really fault it. The shop is a little higher priced but you expect that for the convenience, and its well stocked (shame they have so much holiday "tat" though, but I expect that's popular with the kids). And here comes the BUT.....

There isn't a service road for deliveries. Some parts of the park are nice and quiet, but where we were, Cheddar Way/Dunster Court road, the huge delivery lorries started really early in the day (7 or 7.30) and, boy!, there were a lot! The Spar lorry, the Huntly & Palmer Lorry, the Wisemans Dairy lorry, the bread lorry, the beer barrel lorry, the soft drinks lorry, various catering lorries for the cafe and takeaway, and because it was also the road to the maintenance yard, we had the Jewsons lorry, various contractors, and also the vehicles of the site maintenance staff - the maintenance man's van, and the various golf carts/buggies/mini tractors of the groundsmen, many with noisy rattly trailers on them and - just my luck - right outside our front door was the sleeping policeman speed hump!! At times it felt a little like having a picnic on the local bypass!! Our caravan was placed along the edge of the road, so sitting outside the door meant I was only a few short feet from this road and the speed hump. I paid extra to take my dog, and of course I kept her on a lead, but even so the closeness of the road was very much a worry for me. What about people with young kids? With all these huge HGV lorries toing and froing all day - not ideal!

As for being a Blue Badge Disabled driver, I had asked for a caravan with a close parking space to avoid walking. The caravans are two and three deep, and there are no hard standings to parking on, and there are signs asking for vehicles to be kept off the grass. Consequently this little road was a "free for all" with people parking on both sides, half off and half on the grass, so as well as sitting on the local bypass I was also sitting in the car park, with people coming and going all day, loading and unloading their cars with stuff and kids, and when I first got there to "park on the grass outside the caravan" as I was instructed, I couldn't even get to my caravan for parked cars! It was a case of waiting for somebody to move and then jumping in quickly before they came back! Some people took their cars onto the grass next to their caravans, but if other road users parked blocking their exit, they had to drive up through the pitches, past kids playing and people sitting out in the sun, where there were no official lanes to do so, looking for an exit to escape!

Much as I enjoyed this holiday, and can appreciate how good the staff were in all respects, frankly in this day and age there should be adequate parking for each caravan and properly marked out lanes for access. And on a family park, like this one, you shouldn't have such a large number of big lorries trundling up and down all day long where kids are present and people are trying to have some quiet time. Its all about site design, and on this front, I'm afraid Haven Doniford Park is a failure. It's a shame because their excellent staff do such a good job!

I would go again, but I would use my site map (saved from this holiday) to specify exactly where I wanted to be sited! And it would be away from 3-deep caravan pitches, delivery traffic and speed humps!

Room Tip: Blue Badge drivers and people with young kids or dogs, avoid the roads on the site where there are L...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Pam S
Doniford Bay H, Guest Relations Manager at Doniford Bay Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Thank you very much for your Trip advisor review of our park.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Doniford Bay and found the team to be friendly and helpful.

It’s great to read about your experiences with us and thank you for your feedback about the park, we are always looking to improve our park and guest’s comments sometimes highlight areas that need attention.

I am sorry to read that you were unhappy with the location of your caravan as it was next to the road, unfortunately as this was not reported to us during your stay we were unable to resolve this issue for you for which I sincerely apologise. I am pleased however that despite this issue you did have a good holiday.

Thank you again for your review and we do hope to see you again in the future. Please do contact me on the details below as I would be happy to take a personal interest in any future booking you make with us.

donifordbaytripadvisor@haven.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

First time to doniford bay, stopping 4 nights. when we arrived immediatley felt relaxed with friendly greatings from all staff also had a nice suprise of been upgraded to a prestige caravan. Overall lovely location, good amenties, good night time entertainment for all ages. Best haven by far!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Doniford Bay H, Guest Relations Manager at Doniford Bay Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Thank you for your trip advisor review.

It is very pleasing to hear that you enjoyed staying in our Prestige holiday home and found it to be clean and comfortable.

It’s great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. The team and I hope to see you again in the future.

Bognor Regis, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Thanks to everyone at Doniford Bay for a great break....when we arrived we were greeted warmly by Charle & Sarah and then upgraded to a Deluxe Van on Bayside overlooking the sea. The caravan was spotless and very well equipped. The whole site was very well maintained, all the staff polite & friendly. In particular the security guard on the gate was very jolly.
The weather was perfect so we did not use the facilities of the restaurant but it looked well equipped and the menu good. We had three caravans and were all sited near each other, as requested.

Thanks Haven for a great holiday AGAIN....We would never use any other caravan park!
Incidentally we complained last year about the position of the rubbish bins outside the restaurant and were pleased to note they had been moved...!!!!!! Amazing service!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for your trip advisor review.

The team try their hardest to make every guests holiday one to remember from the grounds to the entertainment teams. Your comments really are fantastic to read and do mean so much to the team!

Your feedback is very welcome and I thank you for taking the time to tell us of your family’s experience. It’s great to see that you made full use of the facilities on park and enjoyed doing so
Thank you again for all your wonderful comments, please do contact me if you would like to return to us again.

The team and I hope to see you again soon and thank you for choosing Doniford Bay.

Midlands
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We have stayed at several Haven sites over the years and found all of them to be extremely good. However, this was the first time we have stayed at Doniford Bay and we are all in agreement that this is probably the best Haven site we have stayed at and we would certainly recommend it.
We stayed for a long weekend and had a fantastic time and can't wait to go back, particularly all the grandchildren.
We particularly liked the way the site was set out, giving the impression of a much smaller site and so we didn't feel overcrowded or crammed in.
The staff were very friendly and helpful. Check-in was quick and easy. The caravan was clean and well stocked. The shop was well stocked and prices quite reasonable.The facilities and activities that were available were excellent, albeit we would have liked the swimming pool to have been open until 7.00pm.
Our only criticism was the restaurant meals were rather expensive.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your kind comments about our team and park.

I am very pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us, and had fun experiencing all the facilities our park has to offer.

I have passed your comments on to the team on park; they are delighted to hear your feedback.
It is also great to read that you have enjoyed visiting the surrounding area sampling the local food.

We hope to see you and your family again in the near future and thank you for choosing to stay with us here at Doniford Bay.

cambridge
Reviewed 2 July 2014

hi we arrived very tired roadworks but when we entered the holiday campus it felt happy and relaxed music plays outside near the reception the staff are very welcoming they had a surprise for us a free upgrade! too the best top of the range caravan it had seaview decking patio doors double glazed wide screen flat t v fully equipped kitchen two toilets large shower comfy bed and 2 mins too the beach and only 10 mins or a stroll to the main entertament areas .you can walk to the other side of the park in less than 30 mins our caravan was the last one so we only had one neighbour !the other side was farm land so you ve got the best of both views of sea and country! a fantastic time well done haven.

Room Tip: book a plaitum caravan its worth it!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. It’s great to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us here at Doniford Bay and were able to extend your holiday.

I am delighted that you loved your caravan and it exceeded all your expectations. The views around park are spectacular with the sea in one direction and the rolling hills in the other.

Please do come back and see us again soon, we would love to have you back!

Birmingham
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We booked this break as a last minute after having an awful experience at a leading over 50s holiday hotel group. We had previously been to Doniford Bay in 2013 and had a really good time. The break that we had this year in June was absolutely what we needed. Lovely clean and quiet park. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff that work there. I would highly recommend this park to anyone wanting a good time for old and young alike. Thank you again Charlotte and your team for everything you do. Wont hesitate in going back again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review; it’s a pleasure to read that you had a great time staying with us here at Doniford bay.

Thank you also for your kind comments about our, its very pleasing to read that you Enjoyed your holiday as this is what we strive to do.

I have passed your comments on to our team; they are delighted to hear your comments. The team do their best to ensure every guest has a fantastic experience!

Please do come back and see us again soon, we would love to have you back!
The team and I hope to see you again in the near future and thank you for choosing Doniford Bay.

Warmest Regards
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Just returned back from a long weekend away at doniford bay, it was actually our first time visiting any haven park, and it has set the standards pretty high.

Feeling welcomes from the moment we drove through the gates by the nice security man, and then the smooth and easy check in at reception, We arrived at our Deluxe plus caravan which was perfectly clean and modern. No bugs! No dirty plates! No faulty electricals! (Like in other sites I've been too) Worth the extra few pennies for the space! And the heating was simple to use and kept the caravan toasty in the evenings. We were situated at the top of wheatfields which was a short walk from the complex. I had asked for a caravan next to the entertainment and play park due to having two small children and was worried about having to walk too far, but we were situated in one of the furthest away I would say, this was fine as I know requests can't be guaranteed, but it turned out not to matter anyway with the park being quite a small one, nowhere was too far away from the main entertainment complex. Although next time I will be requesting a waterside, these all looked privately owned, but it doesn't hurt to ask, they really looked beautiful.

Pool was small but clean, nice viewing area if you didn't want to go in, indoor and outdoor slides were working and my 4 year old loved them, he said the outdoor slides were his favourite part of the whole holiday.

Bar was expensive but staff were friendly and they had a good choice of drinks and cocktails. The restaurant looked lovely, we only ate there once for breakfast on the day we left, but it was always busy, had loads of staff on hand, and the evening menu looked huge. They were always showing the football and had a lovely outdoor area with umbrellas which was perfect on a sunny day, It overlooked the park, sandpit and football area which was handy.

The entertainment area and fun starts themselves I really cannot fault. Always something going on, morning afternoon and evening, my children were both kept entertained by the sea side squad and I loved the cash bingo and rock and roll bingo. Baby sensory was great for my 1 year old, and my 4 year old loved the dance and music sessions, all of which were free! Special mention to fun stars AIDEN and SIMON, both had every one laughing, entertainers with a real cheeky charm about them which the kids loved. The live lounge was situated between the arcade and the restaurant, walking through the arcade every time meant we did have to spend some pennies keeping our 4yr old happy, but there were loads of 2p, 10p and 30p games so wasn't too expensive for us. Security on the door were always friendly and chatty.

Sports and leisure team were really good and had lots of energy. the learn the bike was fully booked and they ran other session straight after it just for my little boy so he didn't miss out. Trampolining, mini golf, football enclosure, park, sand pit, climbing wall, high wires, there's literally so much to do, we didn't leave the park all weekend, we were non stop with activities. Special thanks to. GARETH, who ran the learn to bike and little football session, again he was fab with the kids, lots of energy and looked like he wanted to be there.

The setting for the park was lovely, quite flat, good for bike riding, scootering etc, caravans spaced out, right on a stones beach which was great for looking for rock pools and exploring, a small farm right next door with lots of animals. We really can't wait to go again!

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank MummySofia
Thank you for your kind comments about our team and park.

donifordbaytripadvisor@haven.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Watchet
Travelodge Weston-super-Mare hotel
#5 of 14 in Watchet
Swain House
Swain House
#3 of 14 in Watchet

Been to Doniford Bay Holiday Park - Haven? Share your experiences!