“Excellent mini break! (Platinum caravan)”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Watchet
Doniford Bay Holiday Park - Haven
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Booked a last minute family mini-break in a Platinum caravan. We were really pleased with the quality of the caravan - clean & spacious. Our caravan was in Rookery Ridge.

Doniford Bay is a great base. We visited Dunster via the steam train (from Doniford Halt) & we popped into Watchet. Also Doniford Farm (near the entrance to the site) is really lovely....and its free!

Although there isn't a sandy beach...we loved walking along the pebbles when the sun went down - absolutely beautiful! Also my 11 year-old son enjoyed paddling in the little tributaries!

My son loved the indoor & outdoor pools & loved the slides - he would have stayed there all day if he could! We enjoyed the crazy golf - but this does need updating as the location is fab for crazy-golf (overlooking the sea).

Would definitely visit this site again. Although it was a short break - we came back with some lovely memories!

1  Thank Glawster_gal
Doniford Bay H, Guest Relations Manager at Doniford Bay Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Thank you very much for your trip advisor review. It’s fantastic to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

I am pleased that you took full advantage of attractions we have to offer in the local area.

Thank you for your comment about our team, they all work hard to do the best they can for all our guests and have a smile on their faces at all times.

Thank you again for your review. The team and I hope to see you in the near future for another 5 star stay.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Haven is a wonderful holiday place for families all children are entertained lots to explore, safe and entertainment is ok The only thing I would say is more interaction with characters and more gameshows Bingo is fun but more fun can be had!!
Our chalet was ready when we arrived 15:20 so I was glad to unpack the car
Happy times were had will go again

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Leanne O

Thank you for your kind comments about our park.

I am pleased that you found Doniford Bay to be a wonderful place to stay with lots to do and explore.

Thank you also for your feedback regarding the characters and entertainment, I shall be passing these comments on to our Entertainments Manager to address.

We hope to see you again soon and thank you for choosing Doniford Bay.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Yet another fantastic holiday with my niece at Doniford, we had a different holiday this time and spent a lot of time outside during the day as the weather was so great. We ended up spending most of our time with the recreation staff, Gareth and Mason particularly stood out. They were amazing with the kids and managed to get my niece to do the climbing wall, which she has refused to do before and she succeeded. By the time we managed to drag them away from there there were much to tired to go out, also the fact we were under orders from them to be back out at 9am so they could do other activities. Great Holiday, great value, awesome time.... thanks to all at Doniford Bay, highly recommended

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind comments about our team and park.

I am very pleased that you and your niece enjoyed your stay with us, and had fun experiencing all the facilities our park has to offer.

I have passed your comments on to the team on park; they are delighted to hear your feedback.

We hope to see you both again in the near future and thank you for choosing to stay with us here at Doniford Bay.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Having just returned from a 7 night stay yesterday, we were very surprised with this Haven Park, it wasn't the normal Haven Park that we expected it be. I guess that was mainly due to the fact that a large proportion of the caravans are owned so we were told. It was well maintained and very clean and tidy around the whole park. There are a few areas that let it down but it does look like money has been spent of this park over the years in certain areas. Check-in was smooth and easy and the staff were friendly and helpful.

We had booked a good few months ago for our family of 7 in a 6-8 birth Prestige Caravan, we got Ocean View 3 caravan. It was far enough away from the hustle without being too far away from the centre of the park. We went for this particular caravan due to the extra width space we would have. I can honestly say I was really surprised at how nice the caravan was. It was very clean and had everything the kitchen needed, apart form a pair of kitchen scissors! We booked bed linen which I am glad about as the car space was very limited. I personally found the bed a little hard and the mattress being a bit too thin I felt the springs through it. But once I got used to it it was ok and a bed after all is a personal thing. Just had a minor issue with 1 pillow case missing for the spare bed but housekeeping sorted this out very swiftly once we mentioned it to them. A down side to this caravan was, it had a stale smell of smoke. Once we aired it, it did subside a little but as the sun came round at the end of the day, if the windows and door had been closed, the smell returned. We were under the impression that our 'van' would be a none smoking caravan.

Our children are aged 11 - 20 years old so we had booked here as we thought there would be plenty to do for all of them after looking at the website, high ropes, bungee trampoline etc. We booked an activity pass of 12 passes. To be honest we found it quite limiting for the older ones and I personally feel the park is very much aimed at children no more than 12 years of age even possibly 10. However our older children made the most of it and enjoyed some of the older activities, even returning to being young kids and enjoying being silly again! The boys loved the karts as did the girls and the girls loved the high ropes and bungee trampoline. Crazy Gold needs ripping out and a new course putting back in and it'd be fantastic.....who doesn't like crazy golf?!

We found the club house/bar ok and the evening entertainment as you would expect. The bar prices were very high compared to other places we have stayed previously, but again I suppose that goes with he territory.

We were very lucky as the weather was fantastic, hitting 24-26 degrees all week with virtually no cloud. That made the holiday if I'm honest, as there wouldn't have been much to do there otherwise unless you fancy spending all your time in the Amusement Arcade, small additional mortgage would be required! We spent a good deal of time around the pool due to the weather so again this made the holiday. It's not a great pool area and having only 9 sun loungers and a dozen or so deck chairs, you need to make sure you take something to lie on or get up very early and put out your towel! The pool, I found to be dirty looking but it's around grass so I guess its hard to keep it clean. It's also tired looking and needs a little bit of a revamp in my opinion, as does the patio area around it. Slides were great fun and the kids really enjoyed these. If the pool area was tidied up and made to look a little more pleasing to the eye which I doubt would cost much, a few plants and greenery would do it, it could make this very tired looking area look really quite nice and more pleasant to sit around.

Downsides to the holiday. The beach was a big let down. If you want a beach then you need to look elsewhere. It's pebbly and very rocky and not very pleasant if I'm honest. Also the area around the park didn't seem to have much in the way of things to do either unless we just didn't find anything on our travels. We had a ride to Minehead, it's basically a small version of Blackpool but looked like a ghost town. And Watchet whilst it's very quaint in parts, there isn't a great deal to do there. Brean Sands was lovely but the sea is a very long way out, but if you want sand you have it there. Another niceish beach was Blue Anchor but the tide seems to come in very quickly here, so take care.

All in all we had a great time and the staff at the park were great. They were friendly, helpful and fantastic with the kids, even the big kids.

Well stocked Spar shop on site and the prices were fairly reasonable. But if you want basic essentials like bread, go when they've just stocked up or you are limited to what you will get.

We didn't eat at the cafe but it looked nice and the menu again is as you would expect. The food looked nice though when we saw it coming out onto the decking outdoor eating area. We ate at the Fish and Chip Shop and again it was ok. Not the best we've tasted but not the worst.

Would we go back here - hard to answer to be honest yes and no, as the park was quite nice, well maintained and looked after in the areas around the caravans but the area outside of the park and the beach was a let down. Our children are too old now but it would be great for younger families though. An overall good holiday was had by all.

Room Tip: Caravans on Ocean View had a nice situ, not too far away form the centre but far enough to be away f...
1  Thank FIFILEW

Thank you for your Trip advisor Review of our park, it’s great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Doniford Bay.

It is very pleasing to read that you loved your Prestige caravan and found it to be spacious and situated in a nice area. I would like to apologise that there was an unpleasant smell in your holiday home. All of our caravans are advertised as non-smoking however if a guest decides to smoke this can be difficult to monitor.

Thank you also for taking the time to offer us your feedback with regards to the facilities on park, we are always looking to improve on Park and guests comments & feedback sometimes highlight areas that need attention. I have passed your comments on to the Management team.

I was delighted to read your comments about the team being friendly and helpful. We strive to provide a friendly and welcoming environment for all our guests.

Thank you again for all your feedback and we hope to see you and your family again soon.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

We have stayed at a number of Haven sites and this one is head and shoulders above any of the of the others we have stayed at.

This isnt to say everything was perfect as it never is but what makes this park the best Haven we have been to is that it was so well kept (except the crazy golf which is tired and dated) and the colleagues who work there for Haven.

Everyone we encountered was polite and friendly, and remembered our childrens names, always took time out to speak to the children and make them feel special. This for me is priceless.

I would like to single out a few who have made memories that will last a lifetime with our children.

Gareth, Harriet and Austin - part of the leisure team are just simply awesome - whatever Haven pay them isn't enough. Ran some fab courses and sessions and it didnt matter if it was a free session or a paid one the effort and enthusiasm never changed.

My lad really wanted to do the climbing wall but was nervous. They between them put him at ease and he had such a fab time he wanted to do it again and again. He managed to get to the top each time with some help.

He also braved the high wires and it was a true tribute to Gareth and co as he trusted them so much he was willing to give it a go. Not only did he enjoy it - he is 4 days on still on a high from it and the zip wire. They really have made a lasting impression. So much so he wanted to write his own thank you before we left.

Rounders and football was well run and great for both the kids and adults alike.

The second set of Haven colleagues who need a special mention would be part of the pool team. Aaron (Double A Ron) and Charlie who ran the pool parties made sure everyone was involved equally, that they had a fab time and that it was a real party event. With sole use of the slide and pool for this party it gave the children a real chance to try different things in a safe environment. On top of this Amy did a top job at mini inflatables. And wasnt rushed or hurried just because another group was due until all had tried and done their best.

It probably also wouldnt be right not to mention the characters and go live team - dont know how they do it in the heat in the go live bar as it was a very warm week.

Well done all.

Now onto the accommodation. We booked a 3 bed prestige. Got in early, it was absolutely spotless and the cleaners had shampoo'd all the carpets. Couldnt fault it. I bet they don't get long but a quality job was done.

The site itself has a security hut, and the person on there everytime always waved whether coming or going and was always so polite. That sets you up well before the easy check in.

If there was a small downside it was the on site resturant. We only ate in there once on arrival day - we were all tired and just wanted something quick so we could meet the characters and get back to settle in. Food took over 45 minutes and wasn't well presented. However I didnt complain as just wanted to get on. To be fair to the resturant the other nights the quality and service looked to be really good.

Would I visit again?

Without a doubt.

What would I change?

Nothing! Will even be requesting the same van! Well - if you could get wi-fi in the caravans that would be awesome!

See you soon Doni Bay - You really do stand out as a fab site with the Bourne Group.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Wattsy1972

Thank you for your review; it’s a pleasure to read that you had a great time staying with us here at Doniford bay.

Thank you also for your kind comments about our park and your holiday home, it’s very pleasing to read that you felt comfortable as this is what we strive to do.

I have passed your comments on to our team; they are delighted to hear your comments. The team do their best to ensure every guest has a fantastic experience! It’s also nice to read that you travelled around the local area too sampling what Somerset has to offer.

The team and I hope to see you again in the near future and thank you for choosing Doniford Bay.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Visted the weekend starting 25 Jul. Upon arrival found out that we had been given to free upgrade to a prestige caravan which was a nice bonus.
The caravan itself was immaculate not a speck of dust anywhere with everything you could need inside except maybe an iron and ironing board.
The park is very clean, I didn't spot a bit of litter all weekend, there are go cart buggys available for hire which are a great way of going around the park although they do require a bit of effort when going uphill!
The pool is clean and tidy with water slides for big and little kids.
The shop has everything you could need and while a little on the expensive side not extortionate, the same could be said for the bar with drinks about 4 quid a pint.
Entertainment in the evenings offers lots for adults and children and was very enjoyable.
On site activities such as rope climbing, bungee trampoline, archery and mini golf all come with a small surcharge off about 5 pound but the kids loved it.
The on site fish and chip shop was very good as was the cafe/restaurant both offering good value for money. food while not out of this world was good.
All in all i'd recommend the park and thank the staff for a lovely holiday .

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank John K

Thank you for your kind comments about our park and team, they are lovely to read.

It’s great to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and found the caravan and park to be clean and presentable.

It is fantastic to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us here at Doniford Bay and taken part in all the activities we have to offer. I am also pleased that your caravan met all your expectations.

I will be passing your kind comments on to the teams on park; they will be delighted to hear them.

The team and I look forward to seeing you and your family again in the near future and thank you for choosing Doniford Bay.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

just come back from a 4 night holiday in a 3 bed superior caravan. we arrived just before check in and it was all ready for us and we got a free upgrade. the caravan was amazing and very very clean. and really happy as we got the holiday at discount price of £299 for 2 adults and 2 kids in a 3 bed deluxe
the park had everything on it that we needed and the facility's were good.
the pool water wasn't very clean but I think that was more to do with the grass outside and people bringing into the pool. I've got two girls aged 9 and 5 and they loved everymin. there was more things to do at curtain times, rather than the age clubs at times and you had to pay extra for all the activity's.
the weather made it a fantastic holiday and all the staff were friendly,especially Gareth the activity staff member that seemed to remember all the kids names! my daughter thought he was fab with all the help on the climbing wall.
the spa shop there was really well priced but the restaurant was extremely over priced as it was the same as eating at a weatherspoons. Food was nice but not worth the money,and the bar as we expected was really over priced too.
cant tell you enough that the caravan was brilliant!

Room Tip: Glastonbury way was brill location
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for feedback about your stay with us here at Doniford Bay it’s fantastic to read that you enjoyed your holiday with us.

It’s great to read that you loved the location of Doniford Bay and were able do plenty of different things on and off park.

Thank you again for your review, we hope to see you all again in the near future and thank you for choosing Doniford Bay.

donifordbaytripadvisor@haven.com

Also consider these accommodations in or near Watchet
Northfield Hotel
#1 of 2 in West Quantoxhead
Sandy Glade Holiday Park
Sandy Glade Holiday Park
#5 of 15 in Burnham-On-Sea

Been to Doniford Bay Holiday Park - Haven? Share your experiences!