“Excellent stay let down by a breakfast policy”
Review of The White House

The White House
Ranked #2 of 6 Williton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Most of our stay here was excellent - decent sized room, a recently refurbished bathroom, quality welcome tray and a friendly welcome aswell. The beds were comfortable and the management was flexible with us changing the bed layout nearer the time of our arrival. So far, so good. What let it down unfortunately, was the bizarre policy towards breakfast.

I have stayed at countless hotels and B&B's and have a fairly rounded view of what seems to work and also what seems fair service to offer your guests. I asked for my cooked breakfast to be over cooked if possible; I.e. crispy bacon and non runny egg etc. I was told all the cooked breakfasts were pre-cooked and so I could only have what had already been made. I appreciate the venue had a lot of guests to service, but would it really have been that much to ask to fry the bacon a little longer? I have never met that sort of response before, even from places that said they pre-cooked everything (which I personally don't like anyway, as I'd rather everything was cooked to order - I don't mind waiting the extra period this requires.)

So, an excellent rating is not forthcoming, but it's still very good. Please do reconsider your attitude towards giving people a tiny bit of flexibility over the food they have paid for - it would be much appreciated

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank James L

Reviewed 11 February 2014 via mobile

We decided to stay for two nights to see more of the area and as a Valentine's weekend, as soon as we got through the door we were made to feel very welcome, made to feel special and that nothing was too much trouble, has a cosy and homely feel, already cant wait to visit again and stay, the beds are sooooooooo comfortable, the rooms are incredibly tidy and well decorated and the breakfast is amazing, thank you for making us feel welcome and making our weekend wonderful.
Hope you had a good birthday, Julie & Brad

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We booked 4 rooms as part of a 'fishing' weekend away. The rooms were excellent and nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were very well presented, comfortable and clean. This venue represents excellent value for money and could be recommended for any type of booking, whether social, pleasure or business.
This is a family run Bed & Breakfast and nothing is too much trouble - this was a return visit for our party of 6 and we would not look for anywhere else to stay in this part of the country.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front do get some road noise but the general ambiance of the building more than compens...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I stayed in the main house, in a lovely, cosy, clean room. Plenty of pillows on the bed, thick carpets, lots of tea, coffee, hot chocolate and delicious (proper!) biscuits. Shelley was great - welcoming, helpful and kind. Easy to find and easy to park (sometimes finding parking can be a bit hit and miss with b+b's in villages but in this case it was very straightforward, great after a 5 hour drive :) ) Breakfast was delicious, served in a spotlessly clean dining room. There is also a lovely farm shop / deli literally just a minute's walk away. I could go on, but will just say that The White House has a really comfortable and home-away-from-home atmosphere and can honestly say that I left feeling really relaxed.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

The room was lovely we had the four poster bed and it was incredibly comfortable, the whole feel of the b&b was warm, cosy and friendly.
Couldn't have asked for nicer staff, nothing was to much trouble, helped us with whatever we needed.
Would definitely stay again and will recommend to everyone.
Thank you Shelly for a great stay.
Kind regards Julie & Brad

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I stayed at The White House last Saturday night with 5 friends after organising our annual fishing trip and we were all so impressed with the way in which this Guest House presents itself. We were greeted at Reception by the owner (Shelly) who was one of the most hospitable people I have met, nothing was too much trouble and we were all treated with professionalism and warmth.
I have travelled extensively around the world over the past 30 years and I have to say that in terms of value for money, this Guest House has no equal. From the contemporary decor, the cosy bar to the full English breakfast in the morning, the price you pay belies the quality of the experience.
We are regular visitors to the Somerset and North Devon coast and we have all decided that if we can't stay in The White House in future, the trip will just have to be re-arranged for a time when we can be accommodated.
Well done Shelly & Charlie, you have a very special place, please keep up the great work.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 15 in the Annex, however I did get to look at some of the rooms in the Main House a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We have stayed here before some years ago, but visited again as we were in the area.
The standard is still good , and your needs are catered for in every way.
We stayed in the main house this time with a lovely spacious room, and were made to feel very welcome.
The bed was really comfortable, and there were the same little touches as we had last time. The new owners have carried on in the same way which has so much to recommend it.
My only comment was the coffee for breakfast seemed very weak, but that is a personal thing. I like my caffeine in the morning, and this didn't have any taste, and seemed to be a cheap brand.
Apart from this, I would still recommend the Whit House for anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Been to The White House? Share your experiences!