“Lovely Sunday lunch, worth a visit...”
Review of The Old Inn

The Old Inn
Ranked #15 of 24 Restaurants in Wincanton
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
UK - South West
“Lovely Sunday lunch, worth a visit...”
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We visitied the Old Inn for Sunday lunch and very much enjoyed it. The staff were welcoming and friendly. Had the choice to eat in the pub or the restaurant and opted for the restaurant. The restaurant (and pub) are not as big as some other places, however, the service is excellent, everyone was friendly and our lunch was great, freshly cooked and plenty of it. We will definitely go back if in the area...

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank happy_fairy

“Good, honest food, especially en-route”
Reviewed 11 June 2012 via mobile

I recommend this pub as an ideal stop-off on the way to the South West. On the weekend of our visit, the normal menu had been replaced by one in celebration of H.M.'s Jubilee.

It seems to be a repetitve theme, but a coincidence I assure you. It was miserable outside, but, the warmth of the dining hall as you walked in was a good precursor of what was to come. The food was well cooked, but, I have to say the portions were a little on the small side (just over ten chips). The service was a little slow and a little inattentive at times (I had to go and ask for spoons to eat our deserts) but, despite these failings, I would be prepared to return here. It's definitely on my 'saved' list, and will be a very welcome stop-over the next time we venture South West.

1 Thank MikeFz
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Must check this lovely little pub out!”
Reviewed 18 May 2012

My family and I went here for my grandmothers birthday mid march, the food was limited we were told as it was a Monday - nevertheless we had a huge range of food to choose from ( we were expecting very little, but it was only fish and I think the pie which were off).
All 8 of us had steak, which is the speciality. Mine- sirloin medium rare was cooked a little on the rare side but I didn't mind and I'm sure if I'd said something the would have fixed it. And the chocolate fondants with caramel salted mousse ....oh my goodness... It was fantastic. I could have eaten it five times over. Wowweeeee.... My fiancé had the apple and blackberry crumble which was also very very good.

The service was a little slow but again we were warned about this on the phone as it was a Monday night. And it did not alter the quality of the meal at all. We sat in the bar area, which is lovely and rustic, the bar looks brand new and we have since been back and eaten in their restaurant which is beautifully decorated and furnished. Although when we ate in there a champagne bottle fell off the rack which the whole restaurant turned around thinking the poor waitress had fainted or something!!!!

All in all, lovely restaurant, lots of attention to detail... Even the loos impressed me!

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Carly_s326
Wincanton, United Kingdom
“Definitely Fresh Fish 'n Chips”
Reviewed 11 May 2012

It was a wet, windy, cold miserable midweek May day until we walked into the Old Inn at Holton.
Firstly, someone actually said "good morning" and "hello" and, yes, it was a member of staff, probably the manager. This is good so far and they have the woodburner going as well! A pint of the local "Gorge Best" from Cheddar and a glass of French white wine for my wife set things off on the right course as far as we were concerned. We hadn't been here for quite a while, not for any ulterior reason, it had just slipped out of mind. The place had been acquired by a wealthy local farmer a couple of years ago and loads of cash had been poured into the pub which was always characterful even though it was in a time warp. It took a while to settle down and for people to become used to the contemporary design and refurbishment of what is as it sounds - an old inn! Anyway, this day we plumped for the fresh fish, cod we think, in a crispy batter with chunky chips and homemade tartare sauce. It was great and just right for our lunchtime appetites. We had come for a sandwich really but the sight of the fish being served around the room was hard to resist. Followed by a lemon meringue pie which was also homemade and a cup of bean-to-cup coffee made for the best lunch we have had for a while in the Wincanton area at least! We recommend the place if you are passing as it's only just off the A303 close to Wincanton and ideal for a mid-trip break or to visit before or after the races at Wincanton OR FOR NO REASON AT ALL!
Great value, friendly service, immaculately clean and nice and busy! Good to see.

• Visited May 2012
East Sussex, UK
“Well worth the 5 minute diversion”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Stopped off en route to Cornwall. It's ideally places if you're coming from the South East as its about half way.

Warm welcome, unpretentious and tasty food, 3 real ales to pIck from.

A hidden gem!