“Biggest let down!”

Ranked #14 of 26 Restaurants in Wincanton
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We were looking forward to a lovely relaxing meal out, and we had been recommended this pub by a friend who claimed to have had 'the best steak ever'. And as me and my partner are both great fans of a good steak we thought we'd give it a go. However we were very disappointed.
Bearing in mind the steak was costing us £15.95 each!!!

The pub itself is lovely, and when the food was brought out it looked delicious, however as I began to eat my steak, firstly I asked for it to be cooked medium, yet it was well done. It was chewy, grisly, had no taste to it and very over cooked. I did complain, and yes I was brought another steak, which appeared to be a completely different cut of meat, and was pretty much perfect.

By this time though my partner had finished his meal, and he was also very disappointed with his steak, however he did not like to complain again, although it was well over cooked and he asked for it rare!

The waitress had also asked us if we would like another drink, and we both accepted however when the other waitress brought them over, she took our current glasses which still had a couple of mouthfuls left without asking whether we had finished.

The staff were very nice to begin with about the situation and when my partner asked if it was possible to have free desserts they happily agreed, however when I went to pay the bill I was gob smacked to find they had only given me one dessert free after saying we could have both. Now I was paying the bill it came across that the waitress did not care about our experience and was now not apologetic.

It had ruined our evening not only having awful meals but at different times and to have to pay £50, I will not be returning and I will be advising our friends to stay away too. We have had a better steak at weather spoons!!

Reviewed 12 September 2013

It was our wedding anniversary on Sunday the 8th Sept 13. We though we'd treat ourselves to a lovely Sunday lunch. Wrong! Although the pub its self is nice, the food was terrible. Both my husband and I ordered beef, I should have asked what cut of beef. The meal arrived about 3mins after we ordered it, alarm bells started ringing. We expected the meat to come plated up, but did not expect our plates to be piled high with vegtables and smothered in gloopy gravy. They apparently pride themselves on fine dinning? The beef had obviously been sliced earlier and kept warm, it was hard on the edges, tough the rest of the way through and over cooked. The cabbage was translucent, I could just about make out that there was yorkshire pudding somewhere in the depths beneath it all, they also put sage and onion stuffing on the plate! Why? stuffing goes with chicken or pork! I chewed on one piece of meat for so long it was ridiculous, we called the waitress and sent the food back, I had had two pieces of meat my husband one. Never again.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

The "old" Old Inn was a favourite - no muzak, quirky ancient bar and great atnosphere (albeit freezing loos in winter) and we rather dreaded the rebuild which created the restaurant. Actually the unique bar seems intact and we decided to treat ourselves to the restaurant for some "Fine Dining" - their description.
As the building is new it did not occur to me to ask whether there was flat access for my wheelchair- using husband so the steps were a shock. After some manhandling we got him in - but it takes the edge of the experience - and really not on these days. The menu was simple - far from "Fine Dining" - but the ingredients excellent and portions large and well prepared. It was far from busy and the atmosphere a bit dull.
Looking around I saw that the fire exit would actually provide perfect flat access - just needs a sign and a bell so it can be opened when needed- which I suggested to the waitress. It will be interesting to see if they have put one in.
We will go back - but not for a treat.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

I Have eaten at this pub a few times in the last few months and have been extremely impressed on each occasion firstly by the excellent food secondly by the professional friendly service and last but not least the charming building, the first time my wife and I went we had a lovely meal in the bar the food was to a very high standard and the service excellent, our last visit was with friends and we booked the 'Chef's Table' 7 delicious courses accompanied with a different bottle of wine to match each course and a mini bar with several spirits a half bottle of champagne and bottled water, probably one of the best meals I've ever had and most reasonably priced, if you're ever in the area this is a must try.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

We live in a village near Wincanton and having a genuine love of good food have eaten at most of the restaurants in the local area.

Looking on Tripadvisor I could not believe the previous review - and I don't like the fact that it contains no real specifics regarding the food or service. Sounds to me like some bitter middle aged bloke who thought he was mates with the previous owner having a whinge. The annoying thing is that if I had read that review, I might not have eaten there myself which would have been a real shame.

We've eaten there twice in the past 3 months. Once eating in the restaurant (which is a beautiful old farmbuilding, opened up to the eaves with large oak timbers providing a lovely setting for a meal) and once in the bar (more relaxed environment and very cosy). For the record I preferred eating in the restaurant.

The Seabass I ate on my first visit was the best fish dish I have ever eaten. Cooked to perfection with a delicious hazelnut sauce, I could not find fault - and I even asked for the recipe (the only time I've ever done this). The starter of mussels in a white wine sauce was simple and delicious - and the portion was massive (luckily we'd decided to share a starter). Yummy apple crumble desert and with 4 large glasses of wine the meal cost around £55.

I have to say that the pork belly I ate on my second visit, though lovely, did not compete with the seabass (how could it), but that meal again was excellent.

The service on both occasions was excellent! Very warm and friendly. Table was beautifully presented and really I just couldn't find any genuine fault.

I've eaten at the Stag at Yarlington (good value), the Montegue Arms in Shepton Montegue (lovely but not as intimate) and the Kings Arms in Charlton Hawthorne (special treat with a corresponding pricetag) and this place is easily my favourite - although I have to say all are decent places to eat.

I didn't experience the Old Inn under the previous owners, but just because you'd prefer things to remain as they once were is no basis for criticism. Obviously the previous owners had their reasons for moving on but the new owners deserve to be judged against the competition (not some rose-tinted vision you have in your head).

I'm not saying this is the best restuarent in the area (I'm still working my way through them) but it is defintely worth trying out, so try it and if it's not to your tastes then be specific about why.