“Very good value” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wincanton
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Very good value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Booked through travelzoo, dinner, bed and breakfast, very good value for money, room on the top floor was very large and comfy, food was good and breakfast very good, would recommend, and go again, very relaxing.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
darrenmcginley, General Manager at Holbrook House Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Tina G,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us booked through Travelzoo and look forward to seeing you again.

Darren McGinley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Driving into its grounds on a clear spring day and seeing Holbrook House was such a delight my car almost collided with a member of the hotels staff. Such a gracious lady and one never to bear a grudge I’m told, smiled at me later and reminded me of that first and almost theatrical brief encounter that led to many apologies. The room I had particularly requested, Pensellwood, was ready and as I walked in, it was as though I’d returned only minutes after leaving some two years before. Staff were also, and as before, accommodating and generous and suggested I should tour the grounds, if I wished, before dinner. The grounds, as is the hotel, are as spacious as they are colourful, a veritable garden of Eden. My exercise over, I returned to my room and gazed out its many windows over the most succulent green I can ever remember. Later drinks and canapés were served in the Morning Room and I so much enjoyed being there that I had little inclination to leave for the dining room. Dinner was superb and beautifully served and marred only by one of my wretched, and hapless, friends telephoning to remind me of some appointment or other. This impertinence only emboldened me to ordering more wine. My only regret is that I had not discovered this oasis years before. Thank each and all of you at Holbrook House. Next time I intend to indulge myself in their spa and other health things that the hotel so famously offers; much like a 21st Century Colonel Blimp..

Room Tip: Try Pensellwod if available...You will love it.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Michael S,

Thank you so much for your kind comments after your stay with us. We look forward to enjoying your company next time you are visiting Wincanton from Australia.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

Booked 1 night for our 29th Wedding Anniversary through Travelzoo. Very impressed on arrival with the look of the Hotel. Had a Garden Room which had a nice sunny patio which we were looking forward to sitting in the sun and enjoying a celebratory drink. Unfortunately our room was awful very dirty, a bed that looked like somebody had just got out of, stained and pubic hairs,a dirty knife and spoon in the sink, filthy doormat and a dirty mouldy bathroom. Rang reception to be told the Hotel was full so my husband and I decided we would leave, to which we were then offered an alternative room in the main house, which we accepted simply because it was getting late in the day and we knew we had a two hour drive home and didn't really want to celebrate our anniversary back at home. The room in the main house was cleaner but still had issues. The duty manager dealt with the situation really well but unfortunately the damage was done. The meal in the evening was ok, breakfast in the morning was ok. There was a different set of staff when we checked out and we were not even asked by the receptionist about our stay. It's does make you think that if you have a Travelzoo voucher you are not offered the same level of accommodation as a full paying guest, but then every guest is a possible returning customer.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lindablower
Dear lindablower,

I am so sorry that your stay to celebrate your Wedding Anniversary was not enjoyable. I have spoken to all the staff concerned and can assure you that guests booked through any company such as Travelzoo are treated the same as any other hotel guest.

Regards
Normandy, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Ex senior contributor returns.We have just had a Secret escapes break at Holbrook House.From the moment of arrival we were made to feel at home.If you are looking for a character,homely hotel, this is the One.The General Manager & his staff, (Apart from Two) are brilliant & attentive.Health club & spa excellent.Cannot Wait To Return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Churchfield2014
Dear Churchfield 2014,

I am delighted you enjoyed your recent stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to Holbrook in the near future.

Stoke-on-Trent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed at Holbrook House Hotel for three nights at the end of last month and we will have no hesitation in recommending it to our friends.
The hotel, I suspect was a country residence and the present owners have kept a lot of the original features. The Hotel is full of character and the fact that there may be a carpet which could do with replacing or a little piece of wall paper lifting at the corner, just adds to the considerable charm of the place.
All the public areas and our room, which was called Poppy, were well presented, clean and tidy.
The food was really good, although the menu didn't change while we were there and had we stayed for a fourth night, we may have struggled to find something different to eat.
Although we didn't use the facilities at the spa, we did go to have a look and the Gym was quite impressive. There is also a small bar where you can have coffee and cake to supplement all the calories that you have just worked off.
The Hotel is situated in a good position to visit four or five National Trust properties, the Haynes Motor Museum and the Fleet Air Arm Museum. There is a small village nearby called Castle Carey which is very nice also Sidmouth and Lyme Regis are only about an hours drive.
What makes the Hotel especially nice is the staff. They are always friendly, polite, helpful and professional.
If you prefer a Hotel where every room has the same sanitised appearance no matter where in the world you are, then this is not the place for you. However, if you prefer a more relaxed hotel with plenty of character then look no further than Holbrook House.

Dear Joe C,

Thank you for your kind comments which I have passed on to the team here at Holbrook. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Attic room large but very tired decor and awful uncomfortable twin bed, bathroom paintwork flaky and peeling, ok cheap deal to fill the place so not expecting the Ritz but no excuse for basic decor standard.Staff very non-comital and hardly spoke. Evening meal really poor, I think they ran out of mozzarella as the starter had very little and the main salmon portion was cut in two as we had two inches each. The maitre d' did not utter a word of welcome throughout the whole meal and nobody asked until we had finished and walked out if everything was ok. Booked for 7.30pm eating main at 9pm not good. Breakfast was no better, smoked haddock in milk soup and we had to ask for our tea & coffee and toast after other guests who came in after us had theirs. Again little staff acknowledgement. When leaving and checking out I was not asked about my stay. Poor basic 101 stuff. This place is overhyped overpriced and needs some real core training. Very surprised considering the other reviews.

• Stayed June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank STEPHEN W
Dear Stephen W,

Thank you for your feedback after your stay with us. I am disappointed that you felt underwhelmed by your stay and am dealing with all the points you raised in your comments.

Gower, Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed here for one night on a deal. DB&B. Excellent value, food very good, staff nice and friendly and very welcoming.
Our bedroom and bathroom was looking very tired and needs updating.
We stayed in one of the buildings outside and not in the main hotel itself. Big rooms with patio doors leading to a sitting area outside which we really liked. Nice big bed and comfortable too.
Our original room which we were given in the main hotel was up in the loft area and had a 4'6" bed. Sorry, but can't cope in sleeping in such a small bed these days. Suggest you ask for a twin room or a room with a big bed!
Excellent evening meal and same goes with breakfast too. Food first class.

Room Tip: Check size of bed! Top floor rooms have a tiny bed.
Dear Lighthouse 2007,

Thank you for your feedback. We are looking into putting larger beds into some of the second floor rooms and are in the process of updating some of the accommodation in the hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope you visit again in the near future.

Darren McGinley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wincanton
Bannatyne Hotel - Charlton House
#2 of 3 in Sherborne
Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
Homewood Park Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Hinton Charterhouse

Been to Holbrook House Hotel? Share your experiences!