“Relaxing Break”

Holbrook House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Wincanton
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a short weekend break in June 2014 and it was lovely. It is an old manor house so some of the furnishings are a bit tired around the edges but that just adds to the atmosphere. The staff were extremely friendly and provided excellent service. The restaurant was particularly good and the evening meal was exceptionally good. The menu may be a bit limited but the dishes are prepared and presented extremely well.
We both slept extremely well in the large and comfortable four-poster bed.
In the morning we had a full English breakfast before leaving. The breakfasts were individually prepared and presented to a very high standard.

We will certainly be returning.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
darrenmcginley, General Manager at Holbrook House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Mike R,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us earlier this summer and look forward to welcoming you back to Holbrook in the near future.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

The hotel is in lovely grounds and we found the staff friendly and efficient, the ground floor is pleasant, old fashioned but what you would expect from a hotel such as this, there are seating areas and rooms to enjoy a pre dinner drink.
However the room was a big disappointment, we were given the family room on the top floor, why we are not sure as there was only two of us. On the positive side it was a very large room with a good double bed and two comfprtable chairs but a stained ceiling, peeling wallpaper, mould on the window frames and double glazing so steamed up you can not see out do not count as luxery in my book!
And so to dinner, the canapes were lovely and some of the flavour combinations of the meal were very good but the portions sizes were miserly. In my view 3 cubes of carrot, a baby turnip cut in half and a few shreds of potato are a poor accompanyment to a main course costing nearly £25.
The swimming pool follows the same theme, the views of the garden are pleasant and in summer it would be nice to sit outside following a swim but there is nowhere to sit around the pool and the area is in need of refurbishment.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JayT37

Dear jayT37,

Thank you for your feedback. We do appreciate that guests take the time to let us have their thoughts after staying with us and we are looking into all the points that you have raised.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed here as a couple, & booked through Secret Escapes, it was a short break away to visit National Trust properties in Somerset.
The hotel was in a great position for our stay, & the staff were very helpful. The voucher included breakfast on both mornings & dinner for two on 1 evening we requested to have our meal on the second evening & there was no problem with this. The food was excellent on all occasions, the service was also excellent.
Encluded in the price was full use of the Spa area, our room had georgous thick cosy robes & slippers, which was excellent for walking from our room, it saved having to taking our clothes down.
The Spa was in need of a referb but was adequate for our short stay. The gym area was very well equipped, & although we did not use it on this occasion it was very up to date & looked like it had been fairly recently updated . We were shown around when we arrived by a very pleasant young man & he gave us full information of the facilities.
Our room was Wessex on the top floor, so attic area, but the room was huge the bed also, we even had a walk in wardrobe with ironing board etc. Wifi was free & a good signal. The room needed updating but we've been informed this is a project that is commencing in the Autumn throughout the hotel.
The guest information file is very informative about the history of the hotel. We had a great stay & a couple of 'funny' moments whilst we were there that made our experience more enjoyable as we felt the staff delpt very professionally with the incidents.
We will didefinitely recommend staying at Holbrook House, & would diffinatly return again & look forward to the referb', I just hope that Holbrook does not out prices it's self.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear tigga47,

Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us booked through Secret Escapes and look forward to welcoming you back to Holbrook in the near future.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We booked a couple of nights here through Great Escapes and that is just what it was, a great place away from it all. I have stayed in Wincanton a few times when visiting my brother, but didn’t know this hotel existed, what a find. When we arrived we were a little early, but hoped that a room may be ready. The lady on reception was very friendly and eager to please, called the house maid who came down with the key to our room and told us that she had just finished. Great, so we dropped our stuff in the room which was large, very clean and with a very large comfy bed. We then had a drink and a sandwich on the patio in the sun. In the evening there are a couple on nice lounges to sit and have a pre-dinner drink. The restaurant if not over crowded, plenty of room between tables and the food was excellent, as was the wine! Breakfast was good too, in the same restaurant, with self-serve drinks and fruit etc, with a nice menu for the cooked food. The hotel staff were all great. It is well cared for and very clean and quiet. There are some nice grounds to walk in and a spa and pool if you wish.All in all a very nice place to spend a couple of days away. Recommended

Room Tip: Bincombe Beeches,great room.
1  Thank jim s
darrenmcginley, General Manager at Holbrook House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear jim s,

Thank you for your comments. It is good to receive such positive feedback and I have passed it on to the staff team here at Holbrook.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We booked 1 night on a dinner bed and breakfast basis for a special celebration with my sister and her husband, we were not disappointed. When we pulled up in the car we were pleasantly surprised as the hotel is charming and when we walked around the side to the gardens we were so impressed by the views and how well maintained the grounds were with a look of secret garden nooks and crannies. The rooms on the top floor were spacious and comfortable. Dinner was nice as was breakfast. Our only criticism was the service at breakfast as there appeared to be insufficient staff but that is a minor factor in our overall stay, we all said we would like to return.

Dear AshteadCandS,

I am delighted you enjoyed your recent stay with us and managed to make the most of our lovely grounds as well. We do hope that you will make a return visit to Holbrook.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Booked through travelzoo, dinner, bed and breakfast, very good value for money, room on the top floor was very large and comfy, food was good and breakfast very good, would recommend, and go again, very relaxing.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Tina G,

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us booked through Travelzoo and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Driving into its grounds on a clear spring day and seeing Holbrook House was such a delight my car almost collided with a member of the hotels staff. Such a gracious lady and one never to bear a grudge I’m told, smiled at me later and reminded me of that first and almost theatrical brief encounter that led to many apologies. The room I had particularly requested, Pensellwood, was ready and as I walked in, it was as though I’d returned only minutes after leaving some two years before. Staff were also, and as before, accommodating and generous and suggested I should tour the grounds, if I wished, before dinner. The grounds, as is the hotel, are as spacious as they are colourful, a veritable garden of Eden. My exercise over, I returned to my room and gazed out its many windows over the most succulent green I can ever remember. Later drinks and canapés were served in the Morning Room and I so much enjoyed being there that I had little inclination to leave for the dining room. Dinner was superb and beautifully served and marred only by one of my wretched, and hapless, friends telephoning to remind me of some appointment or other. This impertinence only emboldened me to ordering more wine. My only regret is that I had not discovered this oasis years before. Thank each and all of you at Holbrook House. Next time I intend to indulge myself in their spa and other health things that the hotel so famously offers; much like a 21st Century Colonel Blimp..

Room Tip: Try Pensellwod if available...You will love it.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Dear Michael S,

Thank you so much for your kind comments after your stay with us. We look forward to enjoying your company next time you are visiting Wincanton from Australia.

Darren McGinley

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wincanton
Best Western Dorset Oborne the Grange Hotel
Best Western Plus Centurion Hotel
Ston Easton Park Hotel
Ston Easton Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ston Easton

Been to Holbrook House Hotel? Share your experiences!