“A jewel”

Ramblers Retreat
Ranked #3 of 12 Restaurants in Alton
Price range: US$0 - US$19
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, View, Kids, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The Ramblers Retreat is an award winning country tearoom nestled in the Dimmingsdale, part of the beautiful Churnet Valley in Staffordshire. Our menu is homemade using only the best ingredients, many of which are sourced from local suppliers in the Staffordshire Moorlands. And as well as a delicious meal you can also enjoy the beauty and tranquillity of Dimmingsdale, this spectacular valley by following one of the established woodland walks. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Humbie
“A jewel”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Amazing family run venue. Others could learn a lot from them. Setting is unbeatable, stunning scenery beautiful garden,, lots of walks and things to do. Only think that would make it better is a separate area for smokers in the outdoor area so kids can enjoy eating outside without having to sit next to smokers. Also would be great if they did evening meals too as we would quite happily have gone back twice in one day!!! It would be stunning all lit up at night.

Visited July 2014
Ramblers480, Manager at Ramblers Retreat, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Thank you for your lovely review of the Ramblers Retreat, as a family run business we really do try hard to make sure each and every one of our guests enjoys their visit. We are really pleased that you enjoyed your time in our beautiful valley- Dimmingsdale and our gardens. We appreciate your comments on a separate smoking area and we will consider it to help improve the Ramblers Retreat for everyone in the future. Occasionally, we do open in the evenings for themed meals as well as for private functions- details of which can be found on our newsletter.

Once again we thank you for your review and look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Helen, Gary, Margaret and the Ramblers Retreat team

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“A wonderful lunch experience.”
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My friend and I decided to meet for lunch halfway between where we both live and I picked the Ramblers Retreat by chance, and I'm so glad I did! It's like a little secret garden where you can catch your breath and forget the world outside for a while. The lunch was lovely, home cooked and very tasty. The staff were amazing, very friendly and going the extra mile to ensure that we enjoyed our time. I would highly recommend the Ramblers Retreat and I will certainly be back again soon.

• Visited July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the Ramblers Retreat. We're really pleased that you and your friend enjoyed your visit, we are a family business and therefore work really hard to ensure that all our guests enjoy their visit!

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future!

Helen, Gary, Margaret and the Ramblers Retreat team
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Unique, and ideally placed for a bit of rambling!”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

When I first approached the place I though it appeared a bit like a nicely done up Youth Hostel, but that soon changed when I saw the beautifully presented out door eating area, it feels a bit like you're visiting the back garden of an aristocrat!
The menu has a decent selection of light bites, main meals and in my view what looked to be a killer selection of puddings, I have never known so much choice! I chose a slice of homemade steak and onion pie which was good (not great) with new potatoes and a selection of veg, personally I felt it to be a tad overpriced for what I got in terms of amount of food and flavour.
I then went for a bread and butter pudding with custard, the pudding itself was pretty good, but the custard was a bit too wishy-washy and tasted like it had been made from powder, when I saw what the Lemon Meringues looked like I knew I'd ordered the wrong thing.
They did have a good selection of real ales you could order by the bottle which was a nice touch as hadn't heard of any of them.

If ordering food outside you need to order from a small hatch window which can result in long windy queues around the front of the garden during busy times but it's far enough away from the main eating areas that it doesn't encroach on your dining experience.

Overall, I think the location and the outdoor eating area that really sell this place, the food based on a single visit I would describe as OK but I think it may have been a risk losing another star had we been sat inside as I don't think you'd get the ambience you appreciate from sitting in the garden.

• Visited June 2014
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely relaxed retreat”
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Came here after dumping the teenagers at Alton Towers, lovely area, staff and food and plenty of nearby walks which was perfect for the weather that day.. Plenty of caches to be had round here too for any of you that know what I'm talking about ;-)

Ramblers480, General Manager at Ramblers Retreat, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review the Ramblers Retreat. We're very happy that you enjoyed your visit! As a family run business we try really hard to make sure everyone enjoys their visit to Dimmingsdale and The Ramblers Retreat, therefore your feedback really does mean a lot to us! We look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Helen, Margaret, Gary and the Ramblers Retreat team.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Very busy”
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

We called on a Thursday lunch time following a long walk in the area the setting is excellent but unfortunately dozens of other people had the same idea which made for long queues to order anything,which had to be done at a small hatch window at the rear of the building,we wanted a meal but all the tables inside were reserved I was told.We left with out purchasing anything as the queues to order were to long.If you don't mind queuing and waiting it's ok but I was hungry and not prepared to wait so went to a local chippy and probably saved myself £20

Visited July 2014
Ramblers480, Owner at Ramblers Retreat, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
It was incredibly busy on Thursday, it was a beautiful day, which brought out lots of visitors, resulting in our tea room being fully booked. I hope this is also an indication of our reputation. It's a shame you weren't prepared to wait as food was being served within 20 minutes, but maybe you'l visit us again in the near future and enjoy a meal with us when it's not quite as busy and don't forget you can always give us a call prior to your visit to reserve a table!!

Kind Regards