“Hotel Need Air Con!!”

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Alton
Berkshire
“Hotel Need Air Con!!”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We have stayed at this hotel twice before. This is the 3rd visit. Next time I would stay in the main Alton Towers Hotel. However, Splash Landings is ideal for people with kids, want furry animals wondering about, quiz nights, kids entertainment, disco etc., The Alton Towers main hotel is a so much more quite, live band/man singing songs and not many kids at all - I would stay here especially if you are a couple with no kids.
However, Splash Landings, my daughter and her friend loved it and have loved it in the past. The staff are all great can not fault them at all - they go out of your way to make sure you have a lovely stay and nothing is to much trouble. Great to have a hotel with all English workers, who understand you. (God I am going to get slated for putting that - but it really is).
The hotel was so hot and stuffy, the room was roasting - window opened a bit and there was a fan supplied but it was still roasting - really stuffy as well. Walking past the other bedrooms there was no air - maybe one window that opened on a couple of the floors but nothing else - it was like a sauna. At one point my kids did not know what to do with themselves in the room at bedtime as it was stuffy and hot - they ended up sleeping with cold damp face clothes on their heads.
The evening meal at Splash Landings was busy no table until 8.15pm - and I went to book a table at just before midday - was told that they were all booked already to eat earlier. The evening meal was ok - buffet style. Very busy in restaurant - table were still sticky from people eating and drinking before you - chairs sticky as well. I had Goat Curry which was very nice. But at £20.00 an adult and £12 for kids not worth the money at all. The other food was basic and the carvery meat looked nice but the beef was really fatty. Very basic, things not getting filled up - now enough bowls for the puddings. Kids walking around looking for bowls - other kids walking about as well. One kids who I did not know asked me for my bowl as he could not find one!!! It was messy as well - serving spoons, sauces dripped everywhere, very basic and definitely not worth the cost.
Kids loved the water park but this was extra to the cost of the hotel - £12.00 each, I just wanted to go and watch the kids but was told that I would need to pay £7.50 to sit and watch by the pool. In a way I am glad they charge as therefore it is not to busy but maybe offer a discount to guests staying at the hotel? Kids loved it and had so much fun in there.
Breakfast again was buffet - lots of choice and we ate at 7.30am when it opened so all clean and all fresh and everything out. Lots of choice. It was busy at 7.30am and by the time we left at around 8am - there were ques of people/families waiting for tables.
Were allowed in the park 1 hour early as stayed at hotel - but not on all rides, selected rides only which are displayed in reception that morning. Kids were happy but maybe as new ride there - they should offer this to hotel guests as well as the que was long waiting for this ride at the theme park.
I can not grumble as the hotel was 50% with a newspaper deal - I would go back, but I would not pay full price. We paid £130.00 which was ok but no way would I pay the full cost, I would have been disappointed then, on the flip side - we went to take daughter and her friend, and wow did they have a good time and loved every minute of it (apart from the heat in the room). Would I go back - yes but only if I had a money of voucher again.
The staff were amazing from check in, the staff in the bar, the man waiting to greet you by the main door, the girl on the ticket desk in reception was so nice bless her, the guy in the games room - all great a real asset to have working for Alton Towers.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
AltonTowersResort, Guest Relations Manager at Splash Landings Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, great to see that you have been twice before and wanting to return.
As we approach summer the weather is getting warmer, we do provide a fan in every room. As you will find in most hotels, we have safety restrictions on how far the lower window can open to ensure children’s safety, but if you pull down the top window this creates a lovely breeze keeping the rooms at a comfortable temperature.
I have noted the comments regarding pricing for the Flambos buffet and we will, as always, review these to ensure we are offering good value for money. I have passed the comments regarding the sticky tables to the food and beverage manager, these are not are usual high standards that we maintain throughout.
Customer service comment about the staff being amazing is one thing we expect from our team and they deliver this level day in and day out so good to hear your comments.
Thanks again for your review and we do hope to see you soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
Isle of Wight
Reviewed 8 July 2013

The theme of the hotel is continuous throughout, which is great fun and really unique. We found that as a group of young adults the room was a little cosy for us, but we only stayed for one night and as it was over the Alton Towers Live event, we didn't expect to have a luxury suite for each of us! The price for the night was quite high, but understandably as it was over such a busy weekend.
The bed sheets were a high standard linen which were very comfy, and the room was neither too cold nor too warm. I found the mattress on the double bed to be slightly too firm for my liking, but it was bearable and it all comes down to personal taste, which was proven by my friends all having a great night's sleep and being perfectly comfortable on their beds!
The toiletries were lovely, and the room was immaculately clean which was fantastic for me as I am a bit of a clean-freak!
The staff here and in the neighboring Alton Towers Hotel were all lovely and extremely helpful and professional. Nothing was too much trouble; they even assisted us with our parking by giving us an extra parking space as we traveled in two cars for the weekend! Check in and out were both easy and well managed.
Breakfast was an all you can eat buffet of warm and cold food, with hot and cold drinks available also. We were all very impressed by the selection they had on offer. There was something there for everyone.
This is a family orientated hotel, and despite us not seeing much of the other hotel, we made the observation that Alton Towers hotel was more adult based, but either way, when you come to a theme park you expect children and there was plenty of things going on in the evenings such as karaoke in the cocktail bar, for adults and children to enjoy, and if you fancied a calmer environment, the two hotels are linked so you may use the restaurants and bars in the other hotel which offer a quieter alternative to the fun and games in Splash Landings.

Overall we had a great stay, and will definitely be returning to Alton Towers, and even if we make the decision to stay in the other hotel, we'll definitely be making a trip to the cocktail bar in Splash Landings! Thank you to all of the staff who made our stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: If you can, book early for a better room, especially over busier times and for events.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Abigail M
Thank you for the great comments in your review. We strive to ensure we maintain our standards for cleanliness in all areas of the Hotel and great that it has been noticed especially in your room. We also pride ourselves on great customer service which appears you noticed also.
Thanks again for the great review and we hope to have some cocktails at hand for your next visit!
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I stayed here in June with my 2 year old son and couldn't fault it. Room was approx half price and paid £15 for 2 days at the water park for me & my son. Staff were brilliant throughout, the restaurant, Flambos, was incredibly child friendly and the food was pretty decent and well priced, £20 for me and £2 for my son including drinks, can't argue with that. Waiters and waitresses very friendly and the chocolate fountain was brilliant!
Breakfast was good as well, nothing amazing but perfectly fine for the money and well organised.
The water park was fab plenty to keep me and my little one busy for 2 days, not the biggest but he loved it, would be even better in this hot weather as well. Plenty of lockers and changing space.
Can't wait to bring my little one again!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Nicola122
Thank you for the great comments regarding your recent stay, great to hear you both had a great time and loved every aspect of the Hotels.
Hopefully see you very soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We stayed 2 nights 3rd -5th July. We a family of four with children 18 and 22. The hotel was alot better than we expected apart from the heat..Great holiday atmosphere. The room was a little small for 4 adults but manageable. The beds were too small and that may prevent us from returning. The room is hot and really needs airconditioning. The rest of the hotel is hot but that adds to the caribbean feel so acceptable but I came back very tired as we had the fan on all night which was noisy. Room was clean though and staff helpful. We stayed in room 1420 and it was very quiet.
Breakfast was very good. Didnt eat at the hotel in the evening. Monorail right next door was very handy!
Waterpark was lovely but really should be free for hotel guests.. I paid £60 for us and really was too much. Overall I would recommend this hotel but not in the height of summer unless they add air conditioning to the bedroom. I had 50% off the room and would not stay there unless I had a similar deal again. At half price it was worth the money.

Room Tip: 1420 was very quiet, overlooked garden.
1 Thank fionaski777
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on Trip Advisor, we really do appreciate receiving comments from our guests.
For added value, for any hotel guest purchasing Theme Park or Waterpark tickets we also offer the second day tickets free, which is an exclusive special offer for guests staying with us at the Hotels on the Resort.
Thanks again for the review and hopefully we will welcome you back to the Resort again soon.
fife scotland
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Hi just back from a 3 night stay at Splash Landings. Was a bit worried after reading some of the reviews but was pleasantly surprised. Yes there is a lot of kids around the hotel but IT IS A family orientated hotel. The breakfast was good and well organised. Busy but none of the massive queues you get some places. Food was nice fresh and hot. The kids loved the waterpark. The rooms were fine as was the bunk beds which the kids loved. The original price with out any discounts quoted was nearly £2500 for 4 rooms consisting of 9 adults and 5 children and 1 infant. After using the Coke Zone discount this came down to respectable £1600. This included 2 day theme park tickets and 2 day waterpark tickets. I could probably have saved a further £400 if I had booked a hotel further away and not on site but after seeing the traffic queues first for coming to the park in the mornings and then when leaving the park in the evenings I was very glad I opted to stay here. Staff were always pleasant and eager to help. Could not have asked for any better. Great trip and do not be put off by any negative reviews.

1 Thank syeed786
You experienced the whole package staying for three nights which is great to see; hopefully you managed to fit everything in that you needed.
Thanks again for the review and hopefully we will see you at the Resort again.
Reviewed 2 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed with my 16 year old Son and 3 year old Daughter. This was my second stay here. As last time I can't fault it. Friendly and helpful staff. Room was clean. Loads of food at breakfast. Will be staying again.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank PaulaandLily
AltonTowersResort, Guest Relations Manager at Splash Landings Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on Trip Advisor, we really do appreciate receiving comments from our guests and I am really pleased that you enjoyed your second stay with us as much as your previous visit.
We hope to welcome you back for your third visit soon.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2013

I stayed here with my girlfriend, having made use of a previous stay to claim 25% off the room which made the price a little more palatable, however it was still rather expensive. That said, as we booked tickets at the same time which came with 2 days entrance for the price of one (which we made use of) as well as early ride time before the park opened it actually worked out better than staying off the park in a cheaper hotel. As we also got parking included it did make the location and value work out much better; still the price of the room was about £120 B&B which I wouldn't normally consider paying just for a 1 night hotel stay.

The room was nice enough, though the bed was rather small and seemed to be like a campbed as it moved around and was noisy. The room was also very small, especially as it had a bunk bed in it for families! The bathroom was cramped, though it was clean and the shower was excellent.

We ate in the Secret Garden restaurant which was not included, though was very pleasant. Breakfast the next morning was in the restaurant used for 'Flambo's Exotic Feast', which is a little garish for 7am! However, the food was delicious with a good variety to set you up for a day in the theme park. Staff were brilliant throughout, and the entertainment in the evening was of a high quality.

Ultimately, if it wasn't for the location and benefit provided using the theme park, I would not have stayed here - the price is excessive for what it is, but when booked in conjunction with a theme park visit it does make the value much better.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CaptainFlameRate
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
Alton Towers Hotel
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent
Peakstones Inn, Piggery and Friends Restaurant
Premier Inn Uttoxeter Hotel
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Best Western Stoke East
Best Western Stoke East
#7 of 12 in Stoke-on-Trent

Been to Splash Landings Hotel? Share your experiences!