“Didn't meet expectations” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Alton
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
“Didn't meet expectations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

I don't mind paying for quality but the Splash Landings hotel was overpriced for their offering. Our family room was only just big enough for my partner, toddler and myself and it was tired looking and a little dirty. Beds were really uncomfortable and the mattresses were unbelievably noisy. Wifi not great when it worked - which wasn't often.

Staff were generally pretty helpful and cheery although a few looked miserable and reluctant. All looked stressed and overworked. Managers were elusive and lacked authority when they appeared.

I'd arranged an Alton Towers birthday cake for my partner and had to prompt the receptionist at check in and two waiting staff at dinner that the cake actually existed and should be brought out after the main course. What I'd hoped would be a nice touch seemed like an irritating afterthought to the staff. To be fair to the waiter who eventually brought it out he (literally) made a song and dance about it and got a significant section of the restaurant to sing happy birthday - he got a tip.

Food at dinner was a well overpriced and decidedly average buffet. Dinner in the buffet restaurant was crammed, chaotic and pretty unpleasant. Ice bucket next to drinks machine wasn't topped up once and one got the impression the hotel were skimping on things like the condiments and the napkins - it all seemed a bit greedy on the part of the hotel.

We went down for an early breakfast so avoided the crowds that quickly built up but the food offering wasn't much better than the night before; disappointing and lame. Coffee totally inadequate.

The best thing I can say about the hotel is that it's a short monorail ride from the theme park so you avoid the traffic at the beginning and end of the day. But a great location doesn't make a great hotel and this is a perfect example of an establishment that relies on its location alone and doesn't feel like it has to do anything else to get people to stay here.

Overall I was left feeling let down by the whole experience as the hotel seemed to be more concerned with getting bums on seats than delivering a quality service. It was a bit more like an underage stag weekend at Butlins you'd rather forget about, than a classy family experience you'd want to repeat. Alton Towers must do better.

Room Tip: Ask for a clean, big room with new decor - and watch them struggle...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank brainz85
Charlotte S, Online Sales & Information at Splash Landings Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear 177Kooky,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate receiving feedback from all of our guests.

We pride ourselves on our guests enjoying a memorable and magical stay and we're sorry if your visit did not live up to your expectations. Due to the detailed nature of your review and points raised we would like to discuss this further with you, if you could please complete the feedback form online at our website, a member of our Guest Relations Team will be in touch.

Alton Towers Resort

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
Cambridge, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

I booked this hotel as part of a 2 day stay to experience the water park and theme park for my husbands birthday, with our 2 year old.
Arrival was simple and straightforward. We were directed downstairs for lunch as our room would not be ready until exactly 3pm. The service in the restaurant was good but the food was poor (dry pizza and very plain tasting pasta). I'd asked for an end of corridor room because of previous reviews on here and they nearly managed that but not quite. The room was a reasonable size but I'm glad a got a half price code off the internet because I certainly wouldn't have paid full price. The decor was ok and the room was clean. The issue was the evening. Whilst the corridor to our room was secure during the day by key card entry, it was left insecure until late in the evening. When I queried this with reception, the girl just looked blankly and stated that it wouldn't be secure until much later that night - oh good. The corridor then became a race track for various unruly children who either had no consideration for anyone else or no parents who cared what they were doing. Trying to put my toddler to bed was bad enough but the noise continued until past 11pm and when I spoke to reception, I was informed that everyone was on holiday - not the best customer service I've had - I just wanted to say SO AM I. The other noise element was the constantly slamming doors which went on until nearly midnight - slamming so loud it felt the front wall of the room was shaking. Poor nights sleep (although beds were reasonably comfortable and fan assisted with lack of air conditioning). The next morning, I was glad we had taken our waiters advice from the previous day and we got to breakfast at around 7.20am so got a table fairly easily: 10 minutes later the queue was already forming. Breakfast was ok - lot of hot food and limited amount of cereals or fruit that wasn't going off.
All in all, the stay was worthwhile for the convenience of the water park proximity and the early entry to the theme park but I simply wouldn't recommend it. Surely the Alton Towers Hotel or a nearby B and B would be a drastic improvement.

Room Tip: Top floor end of corridor if you want any sleep at all - and when they say end of corridor ensure th...
1 Thank rjs121
Charlotte S, Online Sales & Information at Splash Landings Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear rjs121,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on Trip Advisor.

We pride ourselves on our guests enjoying a memorable and magical stay and we're sorry if your visit did not live up to your expectations. Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit, please feel assured that your comments will be discussed in detail with the relevant area managers. However if you would like to contact our Guest Relations Team, please complete the feedback form online at our official website and a member of staff will contact you.

Skipton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Good sized room, as 4 adults sharing a double and 2 bunks we were comfortable sharing. Toiletries and biscuits are a nice touch.

The atmosphere in this hotel seemed a little more frantic and less adult than the Alton Towers hotel - we headed there for breakfast for a more chilled out experience!

We were lucky enough to have a great offer on the hotel, but full price it's very expensive. The evening buffet was also quite expensive, whilst it's all you can eat for £20, this doesn't include soft drinks (only those 15 and under get this perk).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank meryll83
Charlotte S, Online Sales & Information at Splash Landings Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear meryll83,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on Trip Advisor.

We are pleased to read that you and your friends enjoyed your recent stay at the Splash Landings Hotel. As you mention, our guests are more than welcome to experience the entertainment, bars and restaurants in both Hotels, so it's great that you took advantage of this and enjoyed spending time in the Alton Towers Hotel too.

We believe that Flambos Restaurant offers great value for money as you can eat as much as you like, starters mains and deserts! However we will be sure to pass your comments onto the relevant area manager in regards to the possibility of including refillable drinks for adults too.

Thanks again for your comments. We hope to welcome you to the Resort again soon!

Isle of Wight
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

This was me and my partners 4th visit to the hotel and it's been brilliant but this 4th visit wasn't quiet up to scratch. The room wasn't very clean with food under the radiator and a lot of dust around the room.

On the first night were woken up by the dripping of water coming from above the bunk beds. So in the morning we went down to reception to let them know there was water leaking from the room above and it needed sorting ASAP. We went to the park for the day and on our return it hadn't been sorted. We did mention it again as we checked out as it was now pooling behind the wall paper in the bathroom. Hopefully the problem was sorted before the next guests arrived.

Other than we still had a brilliant few days away and I'm sure we will return for our 5th stay. :)

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear BakesIOW,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on Trip Advisor.

We are pleased to read that you are a regular visitor to the Splash Landings and enjoyed your stay overall.

However, we are disappointed to read of your experience and sincerely apologise for this. Our Housekeeping Team have fully investigated your comments, and the problem was resolved before any other guests checked in.

If you would like to discuss this aspect of your stay further, please complete the feedback form online at our official website so that a member of our Guest Relations Team can contact you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Resort again soon for your 5th visit!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed her for one night as part of a group of 10! We were really looking forward to staying here and hoped the hotel would live up to the cost, unfortunately it never!
We arrived and checked in to collect our park tickets for the day, the girl on reception was really pleasant and also booked us in for our meal later that evening in the eat all you can buffet restaurant!
We returned later in the day and collected our room card and went to our rooms, we had lost the will to live waiting on the lift but had no other option as both families had 2 pushchairs each!
We got into our room, the other family's card didn't work so they had to go all the way back up to reception to sort it!
The room was so small that we had to fold up our pushchairs to store them, we had bunk beds and a travel cot in our room and a tiny double bed!
The room was a bit overwhelming as it's a beach themed room, full of "stuff"!
The tv was so poor, it hardly received a good signal And I don't think it received half the channels either so the kids were bored to years In the room!
The hair dryer was a waste of time, there's more blow out of the standing fan that was in the room!
I constantly kept in shoes on as I felt the carpet and bathroom were dirty!
We went up to the buffet restaurant and the service was really good in there, the staff really do try, the food was alright but feel we would have been better just driving out and finding somewhere else, the kids enjoyed it as they could have lots of little bits to eat and the kids section had plenty choice! We ate breakfast in here too, plenty choice but not the best quality!
We had tickets for the water park but ran out of time and didn't get the chance to use it, however it looked good for the kids!
We did rush back to try and get into the water park but found it was too late, we faced a 5/6hour drive home and the kids were hungry, rather than eat in the restaurant we managed to get something at the snack bar outside, it was red hot that day and all the seats in the vicinity were in direct sun so rather than sit 4 children under 3 in the sun we asked the young girl if we could move the table to the other side of the road in the shade, she said that was fine! 10 mins later, little hitter came out of the hotel and ordered us to move the chairs as they had to keep the road clear for emergency services, now had he watched he would have noticed that numerous vehicles had passed by us without a problem and that really moving from one side to the other was not taking up any extra space, we explained that we wouldn't be long as the kids were just finishing their tea, he said I am asking you to move right now, needless to say he was ignored and we tolerated his dirty looks!
That was the final straw, I won't be spending my hard earned cash staying at this over hyped hotel again!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Tara-Watson
Dear Tara-Watson,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate feedback from all of our guests.

At the Alton Towers Resort we strive to provide excellent experience for all of our Hotel Guests, we are disappointed to read of your experience. Due to the detailed nature of your review and points raised, we would like to discuss this further with you. Please complete the feedback form online at our official website and a member of our Guest Relations Team will be in touch.

Essex, Uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

My wife and 3 year old son had our third stay at Splash Landings but I am sorry to say it will probably be our last. We spend the night before at Alton Towers Hotel, and although we had a problem with the noise levels (our room was closest to the 'entertainment' and the music felt like it was live in your room), having a 3 year old the room location was not ideal, the staff very kindly moved us to a much quieter Moon Voyager room.

The next day we moved into the themed Pirate Room, we chose this as it was our sons 3rd birthday and he is crazy about pirates. We stayed in one of these rooms before and he loved it last time.

Pirate Room

You get some cool pirate ship balloons in the room along with pirate games and a treasure chest to unlock. The room is expensive but it is nicely themed. It was however extremely dirty. The morning we checked out we moved the bed out to look for a toy my son has lost and the dirt and various other 'lost items' under the bed clearly showed the bed had not been moved and cleaned for months. A quick scout around also showed a used dummy under the drawer which was gathering enough dust that maybe the cleaners were hoping it would disappear under the shear volume of the dust.

This time the customer service fell down. A room at a price of £250+ per night should at least be clean, there was no apology or interest in general from the women behind reception.

We were told on our last visit the reason you cannot get into these themed rooms before 3pm was that they were checked specially by the manager. If this is truly the case then its even worse than a cleaner not checking for a few months, its also the managers not checking either.

Breakfast

Breakfast is awful, I am not talking about how busy it is or the general chaos (this is maybe expected in such a hotel) but the hot food is tasteless and very low quality. We have found it better to grab some toast and fruit or cereal and get out quickly. Honestly, I would rather pay a few quid extra for breakfast if the food quality was improved

Dinner

We have always found The Secret Garden a nice place to eat, it was this time too and they did a lovely job singing happy birthday to our son. Very good service there

Other

In general Splash Landings looks tired and in need of some improvements, it is quieter however than Alton Towers, but it you could get a room away from the noise of the entertainment I would choose there.

The hotel needs to do a better job of advertising their entertainment, there is no information given in the room.

The water park is great and the kids love it in there. Both hotels could do with more lunch or quick service food outlets in general.

I did try to reach out to Alton Towers but they gave me a stock apology without addressing the issues and offered me a room (standard) rate of £120 (about £19 cheaper than the normal rate) along with 4 passes to the theme park. We will be going back to Alton Towers but we will be staying at The Premier Inn, which will be clean and the breakfast is miles better.

Sorry Alton Towers but you have lost us as hotel guests

3 Thank psbakerboy
Peter F, Online Sales & Information at Splash Landings Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Dear psbakerboy,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

We're extremely sorry to hear your experience did not live up to your expectations, and that our response was inadequate. We would love to resolve this for you, and allow a fantastic stay with us.

Please do respond via your original contact method, or use our online form (located under the 'Contact' section at the top of our website) and our Guest Relations Team will be in touch.

We thank you for visiting, and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best Wishes,

Peter
Alton Towers Resort

Travellers are raving about these Alton hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Just returned from a weekend at this hotel.
It's a great place to stay, only a short monorail ride to the theme park, we visited the waterpark on Saturday which was great fun and the theme park on Saturday and Sunday.
On Saturday evening we ate at The Emperors grill the food was a little pricey but delicious, very good quality and excellent service, it was busy and it did appear that more waiting staff would have been a huge benefit. Surrounded by busy tables with families I was quite saddened by the amount of Ipads being played on/watched by small children whilst being ignored by their parents.
I would advise booking for evening meals as tables go quick and availability is very limited.
On Sunday we decided to take advantage of the early theme park entry which allows entry at 9am (an hour before day guests) but it should be noted that only certain rides are open at this time, the river rapids for example doesn't open until 11am, my husband was very excited about going on The Smiler and went straight to that ride only to discover that it doesn't open until 10am so you can either get first in line and miss that quiet hour going on alternative rides or go and enjoy it but then have to join the 1 hour plus queue.
All the staff within the theme park were very friendly and helpful.
Sunday evening we ate at Flambo's, the food was nice and the staff were friendly, again very busy so worth booking in advance.
All in all a great trip and fun was had by all.
The only real negative which would prevent me from staying at this hotel in the future would be the lack of consideration at night time from other guests, we stayed in a room on the third floor and from 11pm until at 3am there were children running up and down the corridors, stamping feet, drunken hen parties screaching, couples arguing, it was constant and the doors sadly did not block out any sound, I even wore earplugs and was still woken up by it.
I understand this is not the hotels fault, there are signs up to ask guests to be quiet at night time but they are sadly ignored. It is a shame that so many guests are so inconsiderate and selfish.

Dear Louise P,

We are pleased to read that overall you had a great time during your weekend break at the Splash Landings Hotel and had fun using the Theme Park and Water Park. We are glad that you enjoyed eating in both Flambos Restaurant and Emperors Grill. It's great that all of the staff members that you encountered were so friendly and helpful too.

However we are disappointed to read that your stay was damped by noise from other guests acting inconsiderately. As you mention, we do have signs put in place along our corridors and in communal areas, our Porters also regularly patrol the corridors. We would advice all of our guests to dial 0 from their room phone to alert our Reception Team to any noise so that it can be fully investigated. Please be assured that your comments will be passed onto the relevant department to be reviewed.

Thanks again for your review. We hope to welcome you and your family back to the Resort in the future.

Alton Towers Resort
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
Premier Inn Uttoxeter Hotel
Three Horseshoes Country Inn & Spa
The Cross Inn
The Cross Inn
#2 of 2 in Cauldon Low

Been to Splash Landings Hotel? Share your experiences!