“Fantastic Staff, Fantastic Break!”

and 1 more site!
Splash Landings Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Alton
Dublin
“Fantastic Staff, Fantastic Break!”
Reviewed 20 July 2010

Im litterally just back from Splash Landings Hotel and have to say the first thing Ive said when people ask about my break was that the staff were unbelievable!
Fo0ur of us, between the ages of 18 and 24 stayed in the hotel for 2 nights and spent 3 days in the Theme Park. The Park of course was fantastic with the neew ride, Thirteen being an awesome expererience, but I have to say the staff throughout the entire resort were helpful, polite, charming and very well trained.
On our first night the fire alarm went off twice (on asking a porter the first time we were informed that some young men had been smoking in a bedroom, Im unsure about the 2nd time as the same porter said that we could stay in our rooms). Even though evacuation was a nusience, I found the general attitude of the people working there to be brilliant. In a highly stressful situation, not one member of staff lost their temper and stayed calm through-out. On returning to our room we found two of our party had not returned to their room. The porters were extremly helpful and even escorted us through the resort to help us find them.
The buffet dinner was pretty average, which we had on our first night and on the 2nd night we ate in Secret Gardens Restaurant in the Alton Towers Hotel. This was really good and prices were fairly cheap too!
We didn't use the Water Park, but the view from the hotel bar looked pretty good and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves!
On another positive note, one of our group lost his 2 day ticket. i asked at the ticket sales desk in the hotel if there was anything we could do, and he immediatly gave us another day pass-no questions asked!

Altogether I found the hotel to be almost perfect in everyway! As a 3* hotel employee myself, I relase that the service industry can be a very difficult job, but the people behind Alton Towers make it look so easy and so much fun! Well Done, we'll be back!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2010

We stayed at the splash landings hotel on sunday night and i have to addmit i was very impressed!We entered the lobby and it was a great carribean theme..fantastic for the kids.We went into the lift and it was a lovley colourful lift with carribean music which the children loved!We went into our room and we had a colourful double bed and a bunk bed for the kids.The children also loved this room.We went to Fambos buffet for dinner and we had mexican,indian and carvery which was great!We then went to the bar outside.Also satisfied but alot of wasps.We then went to the room to have a good nights sleep but at 1.00am in the morning a fire alarm went off.The children paniced and we exxited as soon as possible.We then went back to the room to have sleep but again at 6.00am we were woke up and evacuated again ! This seems to be a regular occurence and due to very poor customer service following this incident will never stay here again !!

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2010

We have stayed at Splash Landings hotel twice and each time we have been very impressed with the food, rooms and facilities available in the water park. It is clean and child friendly with helpful staff.
My one complaint is that both times that we stayed at the hotel the fire alarm has gone off and we have had to evacuate in the middle of the night. The 2nd time we visited it the fire alarm went off twice in one night. When you have small children it is particularly difficult. There is obviously a problem with this and it needs sorting out!

Motherwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2010

Hi I went to Alton Towers with my family. My brother is six and i am 12 and we both really loved it it has lots of various rides and attractions for each age group. I would definitely reccomend it to other people. Both the Water Park and Theme Park are amazingly brilliant.
We booked a night at Splash Landings Hotel and luckily the Water Park is along the corridor of Splash Landings.
Flambos Feast is a great restaurant we fairly enjoyed our food.
The room we slept in was very clean it was themed like the beach.
I really enjoyed it and I hope other people that go there enjoyed it as much as my family and I did .

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 July 2010

Firstly I'd like to say that we stayed in the Alton Towers hotel 5 years ago, used the waterpark and ate in the Splash Landings restaurant. We had a fantastic time and I would have rated every aspect as excellent at that time. But how disappointed we were on our return visit. We stayed in a themed room and on a postive note although small it was fun and clean. The boys especially enjoyed the challenge of cracking the code on the treasure chest to reveal the loot! However the room was extremely hot, had no fridge or safe and very little storage. I totally agree with the previous review that the carpet in the corridors leading to the rooms was hideous. Infact it smelt so bad I had to hold my nose every time we went to the room. My husband reckons its due to damp guests walking from the pool to their rooms....yuk!

As for the pool it was much better 5 years ago when it was open to hotel guests only. This time it was overcrowded and pretty dirty. There was black mould clearly visible on the steps. The water was so cold, even in the jacuzzi! Saying that my children were unaware of all my gripes and still had a great time.

The restaurant was average. Food was average buffet style with a good variety catering for all tastes. Cleanliness was poor. Our table and chairs were sticky. The windows were filthy so you looked through a fog at the waterpark. The staff were polite and did their best but there just wasn't enough of them to cater for the number of guests.

Overall my kids had a great time and it was convenient for visiting park. Would I go back?Mmm, maybe try the Alton Towers Hotel again with the not so smelly carpet!

Zaragoza
Reviewed 14 July 2010

This hotel was the one we chose to spend the night in before our day in Alton Towers. I was disappointed in the cleanliness of the rooms as I found a big lump of hair on the bed as we arrived. The "design" on the carpet prevented me from seeing if the rest of the floor was as dirty. We arrived late and just wanted a quick snack before bed. We had a pizza in the Cantina which was distinctly average but not as over-priced as I thought it would be as there is no where else to go aside from the hotel. Our room was at the start of a corridor and until 1am there were children running up and down the hall screaming. After 1am they were herded into their rooms and continued screaming from there! Not the most restful night's sleep! We were booked in for bed and breakfast but the queue for the breakfast buffet was about 30 people long at 8am so we skipped it and headed into the park. A handy place to stay but that's about all that can be said for it.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed 14 July 2010

I stayed in this hotel with a group of 50 rollercoaster fanatics. When we arrived at 4PM, we didn't have time to check in, we wanted to go to the theme park as soon as possible. The group leader gave a sheet to the front desk clerks with all the names and the rooming list. When we arrived later, all room keys were ready for pickup what made our check in run smoothly.

Once in the room (with my boyfriend and 2 other friends) I noticed the double bed was rather small, like 1,4 meters I think. If you have a bigger bed at home, it might be a problem catching your sleep, but I have to be honest, it didn't cost me 1 minute of sleep.

A couple of my friends complained about that though and another problem was the warmth. It was only about 24 degrees celsius during the day, so not to bad, but some of the rooms were like saunas... my friends told me.

I found the decor of the room perfect for the theme of the hotel. It isn't fancy, but it's fun and that's why you book a theme park hotel.

The hotel restaurants are not really suited for the size of the hotel. You better make a reservation for dinner. Quality of the food in was ok in all restaurants of the 2 hotels. 8 out of 10 found it very good. 2 out of 10 found it bad.

Breakfast was crowded, especially when you come around 8 AM, you can expect some queuing at the entrance.

• Stayed July 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
Alton Towers Hotel
Peakstones Inn, Piggery & Friends Restaurant
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent
Holiday Inn Express Stoke-on-Trent
Travelodge Ashbourne Hotel
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent

Been to Splash Landings Hotel? Share your experiences!