“Pretty good, but a few flaws”
Review of Alton Towers Hotel

Alton Towers Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Alton
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Stayed here last week for two nights. The room was fine but a bit old (Room 105) The toilet did not flush properly and the towels absolutely stank. I can say, however that the staff were exceptional and very helpful. The bar service was very slow both nights, and each barman I ordered off did not know what I was ordering (just a house wine!) I had to repeat myself a few times and even point out the drink I wanted.

The second night we were there at about 4am a bunch of rowdy young adults were screaming up and down the halls and banging on doors. This went on for quite a while and I don't think any hotel staff settled this. I really do feel sorry for any children that woke up and heard what these people were saying because the language was very vulgar.

Overall, the grounds are nice, the breakfast is really good and the staff will go out of their way to help you (maybe not bar staff though). I'd stay again if i were at Alton Towers but probably bring my own drinks and my own towel!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,753)

Reviewed 6 July 2011

We were staying here for a 14th birthday and had a great time!
When we arrived the hotel was exceptional and looked so inviting, the staff were very friendly, welcoming and very efficient! I believe the lady who checked us in was new as she was assisted and was still learning but she made the best of the situation and I'm sure she will be superb. The hotel was clean, the rooms were okay... However they were so hot, which was uncomfortable and we had to have the windows open permanently, as there was no Air-con and with the prices we paid i would have expected! The terrace was beautiful to sit and have drinks and cocktails over-looking the fountain and the grounds were well- kept. The restaurant was nice, with nice food and great staff (our waiter Jack) was very good and helpful! We also visited Splash- down and the Theme Park and had a great time! We can't wait to return and enjoy another stay!

Room Tip: Themed Rooms
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2011

If you have ever stayed in a Disney hotel at their parks in Florida, do not come here expecting it to be the same standard. It is OK, but is way overpriced and the rooms are tired.
I came here for a conference with work. We actually had a great conference and the conference venue worked very well and a lot about the hotel was done well. However, if I had been coming with my kids for a stay, particularly for the price they charge for the rooms, it would have been a bit disappointing.
Upon arrival we were met by a staff member who was very good, relayed us onto the correct place to register etc. Bags dropped off to be taken to the room- all very efficient.
As stated the conference facilities themselves were good.
The disappointment started when I went to the rooms. The room looked tired. The bathroom was no better than what I would expect in an older Travelodge type property. There is no air conditioning in the rooms- inexcusable in a hotel charging these prices and I would hate to be there when it is very warm. My room had bunk beds as well as a Queen size bed in so it would have been good for a family.
Overall the room was budget American hotel standard with a bit of 'theming'.
We had a barbecue for evening meal which was pretty good. I have coeliac disease (no gluten) and the chefs etc were helpful in telling me what I could and could not have although I had to wait for people to go back and check in the kitchen which was a bit disappointing when they had been told already I was coming and could have either labelled it up or prepared some information for me beforehand.
Some of the bar staff were not great. They seemed understaffed so I don't necessarily blame them. Best bit was when a colleague asked for a bottle of cider in a fridge behind the bar and the bar staff member said the fridge was locked and he could not get access to it! The attitude was not good for customers spending so much money. After my colleague had a bit of a go he reluctantly went off and came back with some new packs of the cider. As we had a company bar on (Alton Towers were being paid by the company per drink) one would have thought they would have put plenty of staff on to cope with demand.
The breakfast the next morning was poor. Not a patch on the food at the Premier Inn in Rugely 20 mins away- see below. One of my colleagues said he could not eat the scrambled egg. There was a guy in chef whites stood there and I asked him- what can I have? I explained I could not eat gluten. He told me the sausages were OK. He did not really seem to know what gluten was. Knowing that sausages are not normally gluten free, I told him I doubted this information. Eventually he went to check in the kitchen- and it came as no surprise they were not gluten free. Not that I was bothered as they looked like really cheap quality sausages. However, there could have been a very nasty incident because it could have made me ill. Alton Towers (Camelot) need to give their food preparation staff comprehensive food allergy training otherwise they will find themselves on the wrong side of a legal action. Again, Disney excels in this area and Camelot need to raise their game.
So overall, not terrible and if the hotel was £80 a night I would recommend it. However, if you need to stop over near Alton Towers, I would strongly recommend the Premier Inn at Rugely 20 minutes (on country roads) away. I stayed there last April when I took my kids. OK it is not 'on site' but it is an outstanding hotel with rooms better than some I have had in 4 and 5 star hotels and a cracking breakfast that blows away Alton Towers and I paid about £30 for me and my two kids with breakfast but would happily have paid £70.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Drive up to the hotel sets the stay up for you! Was impressed by the fountain outside! We were checked in by Julia, who was very welcoming. Told us where to find everything in the hotel and helped up book dinner for the evening. We then spent the day in the park, which as always, we enjoyed! This was my first time in the hotel and I was very impressed with the themed rooms! Dinner was nice but thought there may have been more selection from each type of dish, however, it didn't disappoint! We then spent the rest of the evening in the bar, all staff very friendly! Overall it was a great stay! Would definitely stay at the hotel again! Also enjoyed our extra hour in the park!

Room Tip: Everything on your doorstep!!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 June 2011

We have previously stayed in the Splash Landings Hotel with children and decided to upgrade to the Alton Towers Hotel this time. The Hotel is conveniently located for the park, has free parking, is themed, clean and comfortable. The food is good, the staff friendly and helpful and the Spa is well worth a visit.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LePatioDordogne
Reviewed 23 June 2011

we stayed at alton towers hotel june 13th for two nights , the staff were great nothing was too much trouble check in was good , although u cant check in till 3pm but we were able to use splash landings water park wich was great! we stayed in a themed room , was good the party really enjoyed it .the breakfast was excellent wich set u up for the day ready to go to the theme park . the park was very clean ,the rides were brill .the food i thought wasent too expensive as it was plentifull . we will definetely be going back next year ! the food in the resteraunts in the hotel were pricey but we jumped in the car to alton village and had a bar meal for half the price and enjoyed it thank you to all

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 June 2011

This was our second visit to this hotel I noticed that the standards had slipped compared to last year. On arrival we had to change rooms as the room smelt foisty. We ate in the buffet restaurant as night this was expensive & tasteless. However the breakfast was great and plentiful.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
Holiday Inn Express Stoke-on-Trent
Splash Landings Hotel
Whiston Hall Hotel and Golf Club
13 mi away
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Premier Inn Uttoxeter Hotel
Travelodge Ashbourne Hotel

Been to Alton Towers Hotel? Share your experiences!