“Should have stayed else where!!!!!”
Review of Alton Towers Hotel

Alton Towers Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Alton
Reviewed 21 July 2011

My boyfriend and I arrived at Alton towers on 20/07/11 we arrived early in the morning as had a 2 day ticket for theme park all was good until we got to the room, there was dust everywhere on top of the bed on the sides on the chair it was awful then we looked in the bathroom where things got worse ther was hair all over the floor, hair in the bath and again yes hair in the sink. The toilet looked like it hadn't been cleaned! We tried to make the most of our stay but then came to the bed and found black hairs on the bed and I'm blond and my boyfriend brown they defiantly wernt ours 1 of the pillows looked like it had mold on it, then we couldn't sleep we were right next to the door that leads tithe stair case and it squeaked everytime someone went through it which was often! There was a band playing and we were aware of this but it went on till 10.45 all we wanted to do was sleep after at 5am start to the day!We went down for tea and had it in the emperors grill and it was lovely would recomend it to anyone! The service wasthe beststaff were so friendly! We will be back but will pay the extra money for the upgraded rooms!

• Stayed: July 2011

Reviewed 19 July 2011

My family and I have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Alton Towers Hotel on arrival the staff were friendly and helpful from the doorman to the lady in the shop always asking about your day.
Rooms are ok,a bit pricey as they're getting a bit tired and the bathrooms defiantly need upgraded,take your own towels as they smell disgusting and are not soft or fluffy.
Waterpark was ok but they need to get more inflatable rings for the slides and lazy river ,had to queue a while for master blaster waiting for inflatables and we ended up swimming round the lazy river as the same people kept going round and round with the few rings that they had.
We ate in the flambos buffet the first night ,service very good ,chefs very friendly,food average but plenty choice ,didn't like the decor or atmosphere of the place for dinner it was very basic and tacky so we went to the Secret Garden Restaurant our second night we had a window table overlooking the beautiful gardens and water feature the service was excellent the food good and the restaurant was very tranquil.
Evening entertainment was very good we had a male singer 1st night and a band and 3 singers the next night which were all very entertaining our 11yr old son liked the games room.
Handy tip buy a £6 refill bottle at the park as you don't just get free refills in the park all day but also in the hotel bar and water park.
Overall we had a really great family break ,but it did help that the weather was fab,would come back again because of the location to the park and getting access to the park an hour before opening if you are a hotel guest.

1  Thank Keentotravel24
Reviewed 16 July 2011

This used to be a great hotel but is definitely going downhill. For the price you pay here you have a right to expect something great but there are better places to stay, closer to the park entrance and for less money!

We requested a bunk bed when booking and we were told a note had been made on our reservation, however no note was made and reception knew nothing of our request and there was then no availability.

The standard of decor is slipping, the bathroom was pretty shabby in terms of decorative order and cleanliness.

The noise from people drinking outside or running up and down the corridors in the early hours makes sleeping impossible until *they* decide they have had enough.

The breakfast (which used to be amazing years ago) is now very basic and you can tell uses low quality, cheap ingredients. The "coffee" tastes like it once heard about a coffee bean but has never actually met one.

The staff were a mixed bag, some seem bored and not bothered (a couple of staff came to the check in desk when we were queuing but then left again without seeing to us). The porter though who took our bags was friendly and helpful.

I've no affiliation with Chained Oak Farm B+B but if they have availability, check them out. We stayed there for two nights after staying in the Alton Towers hotel for one night. So much nicer for a lot less money!

2  Thank Andy-T-Chi
Reviewed 10 July 2011

Stayed here last week for two nights. The room was fine but a bit old (Room 105) The toilet did not flush properly and the towels absolutely stank. I can say, however that the staff were exceptional and very helpful. The bar service was very slow both nights, and each barman I ordered off did not know what I was ordering (just a house wine!) I had to repeat myself a few times and even point out the drink I wanted.

The second night we were there at about 4am a bunch of rowdy young adults were screaming up and down the halls and banging on doors. This went on for quite a while and I don't think any hotel staff settled this. I really do feel sorry for any children that woke up and heard what these people were saying because the language was very vulgar.

Overall, the grounds are nice, the breakfast is really good and the staff will go out of their way to help you (maybe not bar staff though). I'd stay again if i were at Alton Towers but probably bring my own drinks and my own towel!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2011

We were staying here for a 14th birthday and had a great time!
When we arrived the hotel was exceptional and looked so inviting, the staff were very friendly, welcoming and very efficient! I believe the lady who checked us in was new as she was assisted and was still learning but she made the best of the situation and I'm sure she will be superb. The hotel was clean, the rooms were okay... However they were so hot, which was uncomfortable and we had to have the windows open permanently, as there was no Air-con and with the prices we paid i would have expected! The terrace was beautiful to sit and have drinks and cocktails over-looking the fountain and the grounds were well- kept. The restaurant was nice, with nice food and great staff (our waiter Jack) was very good and helpful! We also visited Splash- down and the Theme Park and had a great time! We can't wait to return and enjoy another stay!

Room Tip: Themed Rooms
Reviewed 3 July 2011

If you have ever stayed in a Disney hotel at their parks in Florida, do not come here expecting it to be the same standard. It is OK, but is way overpriced and the rooms are tired.
I came here for a conference with work. We actually had a great conference and the conference venue worked very well and a lot about the hotel was done well. However, if I had been coming with my kids for a stay, particularly for the price they charge for the rooms, it would have been a bit disappointing.
Upon arrival we were met by a staff member who was very good, relayed us onto the correct place to register etc. Bags dropped off to be taken to the room- all very efficient.
As stated the conference facilities themselves were good.
The disappointment started when I went to the rooms. The room looked tired. The bathroom was no better than what I would expect in an older Travelodge type property. There is no air conditioning in the rooms- inexcusable in a hotel charging these prices and I would hate to be there when it is very warm. My room had bunk beds as well as a Queen size bed in so it would have been good for a family.
Overall the room was budget American hotel standard with a bit of 'theming'.
We had a barbecue for evening meal which was pretty good. I have coeliac disease (no gluten) and the chefs etc were helpful in telling me what I could and could not have although I had to wait for people to go back and check in the kitchen which was a bit disappointing when they had been told already I was coming and could have either labelled it up or prepared some information for me beforehand.
Some of the bar staff were not great. They seemed understaffed so I don't necessarily blame them. Best bit was when a colleague asked for a bottle of cider in a fridge behind the bar and the bar staff member said the fridge was locked and he could not get access to it! The attitude was not good for customers spending so much money. After my colleague had a bit of a go he reluctantly went off and came back with some new packs of the cider. As we had a company bar on (Alton Towers were being paid by the company per drink) one would have thought they would have put plenty of staff on to cope with demand.
The breakfast the next morning was poor. Not a patch on the food at the Premier Inn in Rugely 20 mins away- see below. One of my colleagues said he could not eat the scrambled egg. There was a guy in chef whites stood there and I asked him- what can I have? I explained I could not eat gluten. He told me the sausages were OK. He did not really seem to know what gluten was. Knowing that sausages are not normally gluten free, I told him I doubted this information. Eventually he went to check in the kitchen- and it came as no surprise they were not gluten free. Not that I was bothered as they looked like really cheap quality sausages. However, there could have been a very nasty incident because it could have made me ill. Alton Towers (Camelot) need to give their food preparation staff comprehensive food allergy training otherwise they will find themselves on the wrong side of a legal action. Again, Disney excels in this area and Camelot need to raise their game.
So overall, not terrible and if the hotel was £80 a night I would recommend it. However, if you need to stop over near Alton Towers, I would strongly recommend the Premier Inn at Rugely 20 minutes (on country roads) away. I stayed there last April when I took my kids. OK it is not 'on site' but it is an outstanding hotel with rooms better than some I have had in 4 and 5 star hotels and a cracking breakfast that blows away Alton Towers and I paid about £30 for me and my two kids with breakfast but would happily have paid £70.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Drive up to the hotel sets the stay up for you! Was impressed by the fountain outside! We were checked in by Julia, who was very welcoming. Told us where to find everything in the hotel and helped up book dinner for the evening. We then spent the day in the park, which as always, we enjoyed! This was my first time in the hotel and I was very impressed with the themed rooms! Dinner was nice but thought there may have been more selection from each type of dish, however, it didn't disappoint! We then spent the rest of the evening in the bar, all staff very friendly! Overall it was a great stay! Would definitely stay at the hotel again! Also enjoyed our extra hour in the park!

Room Tip: Everything on your doorstep!!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
Splash Landings Hotel
Days Inn Stafford
Days Inn Stafford
#3 of 5 in Stone
Holiday Inn Express Stoke-on-Trent
Travelodge Ashbourne Hotel
Peakstones Inn, Piggery & Friends Restaurant
Enchanted Village Lodges, Alton Towers Resort

Been to Alton Towers Hotel? Share your experiences!