“Fantastic place to stay”
Review of Alton Towers Hotel

Alton Towers Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Alton
Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed here loads of times but this time I decided to treat my children to the moon voyage room. Didn't tell my children so when they opened the door to this amazing room, their faces were a picture. Absolutely amazing room and what a view. Visited the theme park, did the smiler of course :) made me smile. Spent an afternoon at the water park, Great fun for the kids. Had a buffet meal at the splash landings hotel and it was delicious. My meal was really nice and the kids went back for seconds. Chocolate fountain was delicious. Entertainment really good for kids but my kids just wanted to go to their rooms.( wonder why, lol) Can't wait to go back for the scare fest. The scare fest is the best time of year there! Already booked the celebration room, hope its great. I'm sure it will be. Happy holidays :)

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank ckrnchn
There are newer reviews for Alton Towers Hotel

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Had a great stay at Alton Towers Hotel (ATH), room 326, on 8th August with my 3 grandchildren. I managed to get a discount on our booking which made it quite affordable for 4 people but I feel the full price rate is expensive. Our room was clean and although mattress on the double bed was quite firm having a bad back that’s the way I need it for a good night’s sleep. Room temp was warm on arrival but using the supplied pedestal fan soon cooled it down. Our room was at the back, on the top floor, was far enough away from the central section so noise from band playing was not a disturbance if you needed an early night and from the window we could see the garden and lake which was beautifull. I originally booked at Splash Landings but switched hotels because I discovered they have bunk beds, which my tall grandson would have found too short, and ATH room had a sofa bed with a second pull out bed which the boys found comfortable too. All the staff encountered at both hotels were very friendly and helpful and the included breakfast was plentiful, well cooked and everything you could wish for to start the day. We loved all the theming and switched hotels to take advantage of all the entertainment offered. We particularly enjoyed the group who played in the evening on ‘The Ship’ at ATH. Being on site made it so easy to enjoy our visit to the water and theme parks without having to use the car. We took the 15 min tranquil woodland walk from ATH garden which brought us out by The Blade and so was ideal as certain rides on that side of the park are now covered by early ride time.

Room Tip: Room 326 is on top floor east near end of corridor with a nice view. Nobody overhead, hardly any noi...
Reviewed 20 August 2013

The rooms were great and the hotel themed well, nice touches like the lifts and ship in the centre. The food was good, not particularly cheap for children but overall good value. One annoying thing is that the staff dont seem keen to remind you about the Merlin Pass 20% discount which meant I forgot on a couple of £50+ meals. Lots of wasps on the patio too.

1  Thank paula r
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We visited here for a fun break- and I was sadly a bit disappointed!!

I loved the decor of the outside and lobby... Huge pirate ships, bicycles and fountains- portraying the magic that Alton towers is all about.

Sadly the rooms were not as good- I think originally they would have been great but after a few years of wear and tear they need a bit of redecoration.

We had a pirate themed room and it was a bit shabby and not as clean as I would have expected.

The food and entertainment was great... If this hotel had a bit if a renovation I think it would be so much better and worth spending the money on. It has the potential to be outstanding.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed for three nights and what a fabulous family experience. The grounds are gorgeous and we all loved every moment. The hotel was welcoming and the staff friendly and helpful. The food was good but a little over priced. If you eat early in the Secret Garden, the children eat for free. It was fantastic to get some complimentory fast track tickets for the rides and nice to be in the park a bit before the rest of the public were allowed in. There are several places to get lunch in the theme park and they were, to our surprise, not too pricey at all. The rides were thrilling and exciting and we had a fantastic family break here. Highly recommend coming here. We swam at the next door Splashes Water Park and as lovely as it was I am glad we chose to stay in the Alton Towers hotel rather then Splashes. Rooms were fantastic, beds comfortable and overall the experience was brilliant!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

We, family of 4, 8yrs nd 1yr kids, went there on 5th aug for 3 nights. Loved the drive to the place, very narrow roads but nice views. The splashlanding hotel was very nice. Started to enjoy the minute we entered there. Good liveentertainment in the evenings for families. Nice staff. Theme park were good too however waterpark was not a full day thing. The food at the park and at flambo exotic was bit high priced. SirAl's restaurant was a nice experience too. Overall, we enjoyed it.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My family were thrilled by our recent two night stay in Alton Towers, not only by the rides or the excellent family waterpark, but by our stay in the Alton Towers Hotel. The hotel staff warmly welcomed us as we arrived, and because we booked the Moon Voyager room, had VIP parking very close to the hotel entrance which helped when you have have loads of bags. The kids enjoyed the 'magical' feel of the hotel's decor, and there is a nice mini lake and fountain at the rear of the hotel, which we especially enjoyed relaxing around after dinner. Talking of the food, the restaurant's get very busy, and you need to book in advance to eat at decent time, we used a link on the website to pre-book a table at the Secret Garden restaurant, which offers a very reasonable menu, both in price and choice for families. We stayed in the new 'Moon Voyager' rooms, which are ideal for families (our party was two adults and two kids, aged 11 and 8), and so much better in our opinion that the Sonic Room, which we stayed in our previous visit, for example. The room was clean and well appointed, and there is a partition that separates the adults and children's sleeping area, which we appreciated at the end of the day when we wanted to unwind, but the kids wanted to carry on playing Xbox (which also comes with the room). In the mornings we took advantage of the eraly park opening for hotel guests and enjoyed a ten minute woodland walk, rather than queue up in a rather long queue for the monorail. In summary, if you want a 'Disneyland' type getaway in the UK with the family, then in my opinion this is the closest you will get (and I have been to Disneyland, and also all the other major UK theme parks), in fact, I suggested a return visit with adult friends, because I think I would have an equally good time pretending to be a kid again! If you relax, give in to the surroundings and not have 'London Mayfair Hotel expectations' (altough having said that, it would put a few of those hotels to shame from recent visits!), you will have a truly memorable visit for all the right reasons, and we will be back!

Room Tip: Don't hesitate to book a Moon Voyager room, it's really excellent for families, not only bec...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alton
Splash Landings Hotel
#3 of 5 in Stone
Stone House Hotel
Stone House Hotel
#2 of 5 in Stone

Been to Alton Towers Hotel? Share your experiences!