Open today: 00:00 - 23:59

Ways to Experience Alton Towers
from US$75.02
More Info
15,886 results
All reviews theme park cbeebies land fast track tickets big rides queue times sonic spinball nemesis sub terra ice age runaway train log flume merlin passes thorpe park free tickets end of the day longest queue main rides popular rides
Reviewed 3 January 2019

Utter disgrace from start to finish. Event advertised as suitable for couples and families with older children only to find toddlers and high chairs at tables. Champagne reception drinks poured 30 mins before served so flat and warm. Dinner atrocious, Luke warm at best, one sent back never to be seen again. Couldn't tell the difference between Disco and band due to heavy reliance on backing tapes. "NEVER AGAIN".

Date of experience: December 2018
4  Thank HORNBY1948
Justine L, Guest Relations Manager at Alton Towers, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2019

Dear HORNBY1948

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback although I am so sorry to read that you did not enjoy the NYE Gala dinner.

Whilst we recommend the suitability of an event we do not stop anyone from booking unless specifically stated. I am sorry that this impacted your visit. With regards to your comments I will ensure they are passed on to the relevant teams for review so as to prevent any reoccurrence in future.

If you would like to get in touch via email then please do using gs.feedback@alton-towers.com where we can look into your experience in more detail.

I do hope you will visit us again as this sounds like an exception to the experience we aim to deliver.

Reviewed 2 January 2019 via mobile

Went with my husband and sons for a winter break and thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the park. No queues or waiting.

Date of experience: January 2019
1  Thank belter101

Dear belter101

Thank you for your 5* review - we are so pleased to read that you and your family really enjoyed your visit and we sincerely hope we can welcome you all back in 2019.

We work really hard to minimise wait times for our rides so it's good to hear you were able to enjoy the rides without waiting.

Reviewed 2 January 2019 via mobile

I’ve been to Alton Towers 4 times and I’ll be back!

Having read some of the reviews saying the queues were too long, I’ve had a different experience:
If you go during peak season, at the weekend then yes, the queues will be long, but what do you expect?!
I always time my trip just before or after school holidays, and on a Sunday / Monday. There were times I managed to go on Rita and Thirteen about 4 times in a row without queueing!
It’s all about timing..

I love the layout as it’s not tacky like other theme parks. The children’s area is at the very start which is a good idea. There are one or two other children’s areas dotted about.
The ground are stunning. I was surprised the first time I came here to find there are beautiful gardens with bridges, trees, flowers, and streams. It’s on different levels and you could honestly spend hours in here if you want a break from the attractions.

The rollercoasters are EXCELLENT!
The Smiler:
This is probably the one with the longest queues but it’s worth it.. The entire buildup is great. There are TV screens with creepy images and videos, the staff are dressed up in Dr Martens and yellow/black uniforms which adds to the craziness.
The ride feel as if it’s a couple of minutes long! It has drops, loops, and more creepy screens.. Not for the faint-hearted.

Rita:
This is one of my favourites. Every time I pull the harness down I get that “why am I doing this?” feeling.
It goes from 0 to 60mph in 2.5 seconds with a G Force of 4.7.
It takes your breath away and is probably the ride I’m scared of most.. but it’s amazing.

Thirteen: *SPOILER ALERT*
This rollercoaster is set in a spooky forest and the queues go through trees which have mannequins and a crashed car hidden in them.
The rollercoaster doesn’t have a harness, only a lap-bar but this does not mean (by any stretch) that it isn’t scary..
There are several drops, it goes through trees and at the end you go through a tunnel, the lights go out, then the cart drops to the floor below and you travel backwards. It’s really good and lasts a good while!

I’d recommend Alton Towers over Thorpe Park as it looks better; it’s less busy; the rides are better (although Thorpe Park has some great rides); it’s not as “tacky”; and I found it easier to negotiate my way around.

I’ve been to Universal Studios in Florida, and PortAventura near Barcelona and I would honestly choose here over the two of them and over Thorpe Park.

Date of experience: May 2018
3  Thank anatomamy

Dear anatamomy,

Thank you so much for your glowing 5* review - we are our favourite theme park too!

We are very proud of our historic grounds and gardens so its great to hear you enjoyed them as much as our world class rides and attractions. We cant wait to welcome you back in 2019 for more thrills and adventures!

You haven't mentioned Wickerman but I am seriously hoping you love it as much as we do - although Rita I a favourite too of course.

We might like the weather of Florida or Barcelona but we are so pleased to read we are your favourite park and hopefully we'll see you here soon.

Reviewed 31 December 2018

We booked the Festive Package for a family of 4, with a 10 & 11 year old. The website states "selected rides" so we expected some rides not to be open. However only on arrival was it clear that only 2 barely suitable rides (for older kids) were open along with CBeebies Land. The information board at the entrance makes it very clear that practically ALL the other rides are closed, this could easily have been added to the website so that people that haven't been to the park before would understand in advance.....so the theme park is a complete waste of time for children over "CBeebies Age"....MonoRail closed, customer service is poor, except for the staff in the shops who were friendly as they were trying to sell you something.... It is a half hearted attempt of keeping a few small rides open to get the hotel filled at a premium price. The hotel is very basic. The pantomime wasn't great, although the actors tried their best - most people were clearly bored and everyone talking over the actors. Given the fact that it was catering for younger children the unnecessary f-word joke was totally inappropriate!!? The waterpark is slightly better but again only a few flumes and was covered in less than a few hours....VERY DISAPPOINTING, cannot understand why they close practically the whole park when other theme parks are fully open and make the most of the festive period for all ages?

Date of experience: December 2018
1  Thank Bicester2015

Dear Bicester2015

Thank you for your review although I am very sorry to read that you did not enjoy your Festive break with us.

We have increased our ride offering this year and have Spinball whizzer, Duel and Mutiny bay open for slightly older thrills. As you have mentioned we also have Cbeebies land open so there is something for everyone. I am sorry that you felt this was not the case. We do have to carry out large scale maintenance to our rides over the winter period and due to the number of rides we have, plus the complex nature of them we do have a reduced offering, as advertised, over Christmas.
With regards to the panto we have been receiving some very positive feedback about the show, and feel it is a great addition to the entertainments line-up. However, I will certainly ensure that your comments are shared with the relevant managers so that we can continually review our products and ensure we are delivering the best experience we can for all of our guests.

I do hope you will chose to visit us again in the future, we hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 30 December 2018 via mobile

Alton Towers is the best place to be no matter what you're looking for; whether it be thrills and spills, family adventures or exploration for the little ones. This place has got it all!
Alton Towers, being one of the most popular theme parks in the UK, is guaranteed to have its downfalls, and probably the biggest of these is it's queues. If you're not into waiting at least 20 minutes possibly up to 2 hours for a ride then I would check out some other places before this, however if you are willing to sacrifice a bit of your time to experience these world class thrills (like me - go on the Smiler) then stick it out because this place has got everything.
Oh, and FYI you might also have to give up another chunk of your day to traverse from one ride to another, and some of the skyride queues can be up to half an hour and walking to and fro possibly even longer!
All in all, fantastic!

Date of experience: March 2018
2  Thank RhysCD

Dear RhysCD

Thank you so much for your great comments about our Resort and rides. We love thrilling our guests and having great adventures with them too!

I will make sure we do all we can to continue to minimise wait times for our rides however, we are glad to hear you still have plenty of fun when you visit.

We cant wait to see you again in 2019.