Open today: 00:00 - 23:59

Ways to Experience Alton Towers
from US$75.02
More Info
15,886 results
All reviews theme park cbeebies land fast track tickets big rides queue times sonic spinball nemesis sub terra ice age runaway train log flume merlin passes thorpe park free tickets end of the day longest queue main rides popular rides
Reviewed 6 January 2019

Visited twice during Scarefest and although we loved riding the rides in the dark. The new Wickerman rollercoaster is incredible especially at night. The things that let our visits down was the first time it was ‘travellers day’. Never again will we visit on the first or second Sunday of Scarefest. The attitude of these visitors was disgusting. They thought nothing of queue jumping or giving staff or other members of the public a mouthful of abuse. They think they were above anyone else and they wonder why people give them a bad name. Due to the problems we had this day Alton Towers were kind enough to give us a complimentary return entrance. We went on the last weekend of Scarefest and feel that far too many people were let in. Queues for every ride were the worse I have ever seen, you could not even get inside anywhere to have something to eat. None of the wait times were correct! 1.5hrs Rita, 3+ hours Thirteen, 1.5hrs Oblivion, and 3.5hrs Wickerman. Did not leave the park till 10.30 when the park shut at 9pm due to the extensive queues. Would probably avoid Scarefest again which is a shame as we loved being able to go on the rides in the dark.

Date of experience: October 2018
1  Thank brackleyballet
AltonTowersCS, Customer Services at Alton Towers, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2019

Dear brackleyballet,

Thank you for your review.

We pride ourselves on offering a safe and enjoyable family environment, and on the very rare occasions where the behaviour of a minority of guests is not acceptable our team will try and deal with the offenders appropriately.

Following previous guest feedback we introduced a number of additional security initiatives that were aimed at reducing the anti-social behaviour often associated. These measures included not selling alcohol, having a more visible security presence on site and increasing the number of random bag searches that we carried out at the main turnstiles. As I am sure you can appreciate however, it is a delicate balance as we try not to be too intrusive to the vast majority of our guests who are here simply to have a great time.

Thank you again for your comments.

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 5 January 2019 via mobile

Great fun for all the family, good selection of different rides for adults and children, would recommend staying over in one of the many accommodation choices

Date of experience: January 2019
1  Thank adamskiigoodwin

Dear adamskigoowin,

Thank you for your review.

It's great to hear that you and your family had such a fab time with us and enjoyed your selection of Rides & Attractions.

See you again soon!

Best Wishes,

Reviewed 3 January 2019

Utter disgrace from start to finish. Event advertised as suitable for couples and families with older children only to find toddlers and high chairs at tables. Champagne reception drinks poured 30 mins before served so flat and warm. Dinner atrocious, Luke warm at best, one sent back never to be seen again. Couldn't tell the difference between Disco and band due to heavy reliance on backing tapes. "NEVER AGAIN".

Date of experience: December 2018
4  Thank HORNBY1948
Justine L, Guest Relations Manager at Alton Towers, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2019

Dear HORNBY1948

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback although I am so sorry to read that you did not enjoy the NYE Gala dinner.

Whilst we recommend the suitability of an event we do not stop anyone from booking unless specifically stated. I am sorry that this impacted your visit. With regards to your comments I will ensure they are passed on to the relevant teams for review so as to prevent any reoccurrence in future.

If you would like to get in touch via email then please do using gs.feedback@alton-towers.com where we can look into your experience in more detail.

I do hope you will visit us again as this sounds like an exception to the experience we aim to deliver.

Reviewed 2 January 2019 via mobile

Went with my husband and sons for a winter break and thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the park. No queues or waiting.

Date of experience: January 2019
1  Thank belter101

Dear belter101

Thank you for your 5* review - we are so pleased to read that you and your family really enjoyed your visit and we sincerely hope we can welcome you all back in 2019.

We work really hard to minimise wait times for our rides so it's good to hear you were able to enjoy the rides without waiting.

Reviewed 2 January 2019 via mobile

I’ve been to Alton Towers 4 times and I’ll be back!

Having read some of the reviews saying the queues were too long, I’ve had a different experience:
If you go during peak season, at the weekend then yes, the queues will be long, but what do you expect?!
I always time my trip just before or after school holidays, and on a Sunday / Monday. There were times I managed to go on Rita and Thirteen about 4 times in a row without queueing!
It’s all about timing..

I love the layout as it’s not tacky like other theme parks. The children’s area is at the very start which is a good idea. There are one or two other children’s areas dotted about.
The ground are stunning. I was surprised the first time I came here to find there are beautiful gardens with bridges, trees, flowers, and streams. It’s on different levels and you could honestly spend hours in here if you want a break from the attractions.

The rollercoasters are EXCELLENT!
The Smiler:
This is probably the one with the longest queues but it’s worth it.. The entire buildup is great. There are TV screens with creepy images and videos, the staff are dressed up in Dr Martens and yellow/black uniforms which adds to the craziness.
The ride feel as if it’s a couple of minutes long! It has drops, loops, and more creepy screens.. Not for the faint-hearted.

Rita:
This is one of my favourites. Every time I pull the harness down I get that “why am I doing this?” feeling.
It goes from 0 to 60mph in 2.5 seconds with a G Force of 4.7.
It takes your breath away and is probably the ride I’m scared of most.. but it’s amazing.

Thirteen: *SPOILER ALERT*
This rollercoaster is set in a spooky forest and the queues go through trees which have mannequins and a crashed car hidden in them.
The rollercoaster doesn’t have a harness, only a lap-bar but this does not mean (by any stretch) that it isn’t scary..
There are several drops, it goes through trees and at the end you go through a tunnel, the lights go out, then the cart drops to the floor below and you travel backwards. It’s really good and lasts a good while!

I’d recommend Alton Towers over Thorpe Park as it looks better; it’s less busy; the rides are better (although Thorpe Park has some great rides); it’s not as “tacky”; and I found it easier to negotiate my way around.

I’ve been to Universal Studios in Florida, and PortAventura near Barcelona and I would honestly choose here over the two of them and over Thorpe Park.

Date of experience: May 2018
3  Thank anatomamy

Dear anatamomy,

Thank you so much for your glowing 5* review - we are our favourite theme park too!

We are very proud of our historic grounds and gardens so its great to hear you enjoyed them as much as our world class rides and attractions. We cant wait to welcome you back in 2019 for more thrills and adventures!

You haven't mentioned Wickerman but I am seriously hoping you love it as much as we do - although Rita I a favourite too of course.

We might like the weather of Florida or Barcelona but we are so pleased to read we are your favourite park and hopefully we'll see you here soon.