“Fantastic!”

Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Me and my boyfriend visited the Royal Oak for a meal in the evening after visiting Alton Towers. We had a table booked for 8:15pm and were promptly shown to our table upon arrival. The restaurant is quite small and appears to be very popular, so it would be advisable to book a table.

There is a good choice of food on the menu, and everything is cooked fresh. I'm not normally a big fan of starters but we decided we would have some, and I am so glad we did! I opted for the scallops with haggis which were cooked to perfection and absolutely delicious. My boyfriend had the crab which was also very nice. For mains I had the fish and chips and my boyfriend had the rib eye steak. We both thoroughly enjoyed our mains. The chips especially were lovely, and the portion sizes were very generous. For dessert I chose the creme brulee and my boyfriend had the lemon posset. Both were lovely, and were a good size too.

The service at the Royal Oak was impeccable. Staff are friendly, attentive and could not do enough for us.

I have to say that this is one of the best meals I have had in a long time. I could not fault anything about our visit. Overall the bill came to £72 for 2 starters, 2 mains, 2 desserts, 3 large glasses of wine and a pint of beer- which I don't think is too bad! I would certainly come here again, and would not hesitate in recommending it. Thank you for such a lovely night!

2  Thank Kate H

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Lovely family meal, good service and family atmosphere. The food was beautiful and plenty of it. Price bands were average but worth the money.

Darren N, Owner at The Royal Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time review our pub/restaurant. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

The food was gorgeous, well presented and easy whole number prices! the only dislike was our BnB was up the hill, not ideal after stuffing your face!

Darren N, Owner at The Royal Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

I will look into relocating the local B&Bs for you!

Reviewed 4 May 2014

This restaurant keeps getting better. The Chicken Supreme i had last night was super & what a portion . This restaurant is so busy . If you are planning a visit advisable to book in advance as it can get busy .

Darren N, Owner at The Royal Oak, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

I will look into relocating the local B&Bs for you!

Reviewed 1 May 2014

After a long day spent at alton towers celebrating my boyfriends birthday, we just wanted a relaxing meal nearby and that is exactly what we got and more.

We arrived shortly before 6 (serving time) and so we chose a window seat and had a drink whilst looking at the menu. The lady behind the bar was very friendly and shortly after 6 she showed us to a lovely table in the comfortable restaurant area. We immediately ordered and our food arrived promptly. My partner ordered the steak with the nicest peppercorn sauce I have ever tasted and delicious chips. I ordered the steak and ale pie with mash and mushy peas. Honestly, the most enjoyable meal we have had for a while.

Compliments were given directly to the friendly chef, next time we are in this neck of the woods we will certainly be returning!