“A great pub to eat at!”
Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Alton
Cuisines: Gastropub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We had had time at Alton Towers and didnt fancy their sub standard restaurants for sunday lunch. This pub was well worth the visit. They even took into account my gluten free diet and provided a jus instead of gravy with my meal. We all loved our lunches and will be going back!

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Experiencing the high standards at The Warren B & B up the hill, we were confident Alison's recommendation would be a reliable and were delighted immediately we opened the door. A warm reception and a terrific ambience, welcomed my wife and I as we teased ourselves with the options on the comprehensive and imaginative menu. The generous Confit Duck leg and ovenbaked Camembert went down a treat followed by the Grilled Plaice and Cracking Pork Belly. Whilst others were enjoying some sumptuous desserts, we had to reluctantly admit that we were beaten. Congratulations to Darren and Charlotte for succeeding so well in the kitchen and front of the house. Will definitely be returning for a 3 courser.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Yes what a find in the lovley village at Alton,from the moment we arrived a truly wonderful evening.The food was fantastic and our party of four all agreed that it would not be long before we return.As another review says well on the way to a Michelin star! The pub has a very friendly feel which all added to a brilliant evening .

1  Thank 5jaycee
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I wouldn't say it's the best food I've ever tasted but it was certainly pretty good for a pub. It was hot and there was plenty of it, I actually struggled to finish the Steak and Ale pie and chips I had and another of our party couldn't manage the (massive) fish and chips she had.
Possibly slightly overpriced for pub food but well cooked, home made which is a refreshing change from the standard food served up by a lot of establishments belonging to a chain, so no real issues as far as value for money goes.
One complaint I have is that it took an inordinate amount of time to receive the bill as the lady we asked for it was more interested in chatting to some other customers, I had to ask the barman in the end, after which it was sorted remarkably quickly, but we asked for the bill because we wanted to leave and were kept waiting for far too long.
Otherwise pretty good overall.

1  Thank RobbieEly
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We ate here as a family of 3 after a day at Alton towers and it provided a wonderful break from the more 'corporate' thrills of the adventure park. We had a drink first on the terrace outside the pub and my husband commented on the warm, friendly welcome he received when he ordered drinks. The food was great - we both had fish - and it was light and fresh and a real pleasure.A great find in a small village.

Our only slight disappointment was with service. Our second drinks order was lost and so we were already well through dinner when we did eventually receive them and we were then overcharged for drinks when the final bill arrived (charged for the drinks we had outside, which we had paid for upfront) but having said that, the staff were really apologetic about both incidents and made a point of coming over to say sorry twice and staying to chat, rather than just ignoring them, which has been our experience in other places.

Lots on the menu looked inviting and we would definitely return to sample some of the other dishes when we are next in the area.

2  Thank paulaja_25