“really helpful”

Dovecliff Hall Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Burton upon Trent
Reviewed 9 April 2014

we stayed here on a sunday night be aware that the restaurant is closed on sunday nights, but this is not a problem as you can order a light supper, we stayed in one of the garden rooms as we had a dog with us, great rooms loads of space only downside is that to get to the rooms you have to go round the back and go past the outside of the kitchen as you can imagine not the nicest route past the bins
over all a great place to stop over for a few nights

Room Tip: garden rooms are quiet
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul C
dovecliffhallhotel, General Manager at Dovecliff Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2014

Dear Paul C

Thank you very much for your recent positive feedback.

You mention the route to get to the ground floor rooms, I would like to highlight to future guests that this is available to you as an alternative second way of getting to the ground rooms. The first is by way of walking up our grand stair case at reception and walking back to these particular rooms. Or there is the quicker 'shortcut' out of the front door and past the back of the kitchen.
I am sorry to say that you may have witnessed on this occasion some empty boxes and some beer barrels, but these are always moved away during each day and evening shift.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Visiting friends from London wanted to enjoy Sunday lunch yesterday and therefore I had no hesitation in booking us into the "Dovecliff" The food, service and venue can only be described as first class in every-way. Two of us stayed overnight to enjoy an excellent room and breakfast the following morning. If you have not tried the "Dovecliff experience" then you are missing a treat!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank wardforceone
dovecliffhallhotel, General Manager at Dovecliff Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear wardforceone

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know of your experience here at the Dovecliff, myself and the team enjoyed looking after you.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Our daughter & son-in-law gave us an Afternoon Tea voucher as a stocking-filler for xmas.

What a disappointment! The tea consisted of 2 finger sandwiches each- one with half a slice of cucumber, the other with 'plastic' ham & they both had still-frozen butter. Absolutely awful.
The slice of cake was stale, the scone dry & the jam tasteless.
We walked out, but my husband decided it was only fair to give them feedback. The chap at reception took our details for the manager to contact us & did boast that the bread was KINGSMILL!!!!
To date, we have not heard from the manager (end of March).
We will NOT be returning, & we will not be considering this hotel for our youngest daughter's wedding!

If Dovecliff were hoping to attract more future custom with their Groupon voucher, they've failed, if they did it to make a quick profit, then they may have succeeded.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Patjo818DerbyEngland

Dear Patjo818DerbyEngland

I am so sorry that your details were not handed to me regarding your disappointing afternoon tea via a groupon voucher deal we ran recently.

After comments dating back to February, of which I believe it to be the month you visited us -I confirmed in my response on February 21st to another tripadvisor member that all feedback had been duly noted and issues had been resolved with the food selection being altered. From then on all feedback verbally and in writing much improved as a result.

I must add that the concept of Groupon is not to make a quick profit, far from it in fact -it is a way of reaching an audience who would never have even thought of coming over to see us and sampling what we can offer as a restaurant and a hotel. And I am so very sorry that we did not provide this for you on the day of your visit.

Please email me direct at stuart@dovecliffhallhotel.co.uk as I would like to discuss matters further and to hopefully show you that we can get it right here at Dovecliff Hall.

Regards

Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

A mostly peaceful night with the waterfall as background sight and sound, a comfy bed and a generously sized room and bathroom.
The setting, even on a miserable late March afternoon, is glorious and would be worth the price even if you had to sleep in a shed rather than the "ooh this is nice!" room you actually get.
A problem with the heating was fixed quickly and courteously.
On the 'could do better' side, the clanking of beer barrels late at night and the rather thin walls between rooms were minor distractions - I was fortunate in my neighbours as I suspect most guests will be; it's that sort of place.
It's not, I assume, designed as a business hotel so the desk is a bit small with inadequate lighting and an armchair in place of a desk chair but that made me relax instead of work, which is a good thing.
Those less able will need to access the rooms via a rear door, accessed along a none too smooth driveway. Currently all the rooms have showers over the bath and there's not enough handrails for anyone with mobility difficulties to be able to use either safely. The hotel is planning to create an accessible room but they need to also consider how to get disabled guests from the proposed room to the public areas without trailing around outside. Meanwhile I'd recommend that they put in an extra grab rail or two to keep us not-disabled-but-doddery guests safe.
I hope to stay longer next time in this lovely place.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Umpalulu

Thank you for your feedback, although you had an overall good stay with us -I would like to apologise for the disruption of my bar staff tidying up from a hotel function that evening.

I completely take on board your comments about low lighting and we have already started to remedy the situation whilst we start our refurb programme in that wing of the hotel. We have introduced new wall lights, desk lamps and up lighters which give significantly more lighting to the room. So far we have completed two of the planned nine bedrooms.
When we get to the ground floor rooms I shall very much bear in mind your comments regarding grab rails.

However I am glad that are contemplating another stay in the future, please contact me when that is and I will be happy to give you a tour of newly refurbished bedrooms.

Hope to see you at the Dovecliff soon.

Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Lovely afternoon tea...nice views from the room of the river.....breakfast was super really fresh.. Would recommend and would definitely revisit.. Staff very helpful...lovely weekend treat..........reasonably priced too

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank helenhls

Dear helenhls

Thank you for your kind feedback, myself and the team at the Dovecliff are so glad that you had a lovely stay with us.

We look forward to welcome you again in the future.

Best wishes

Reviewed 25 March 2014

My husband and I searched many different wedding venues before coming across Dovecliff, from the moment of our first enquiry the staff at Dovecliff went above and beyond to accommodate us. Along with the stunning venue this was a great contributor to us booking our wedding here. Everything went smoothly from the moment I arrived on the eve of the wedding until we left on the day after the wedding.
All of our guests commented on how lovely the food was and how helpful & polite all of the staff were. After all everybody wants their guests to be well looked after & for their wedding day to run smoothly.

If you are just looking at this venue for the hotel facility I would certainly recommend the honeymoon suite, although all of our guests that stayed said that their rooms were lovely the honeymoon suite is gorgeous.
A special mention for Sarah who really looked after us throughout the whole process and made sure that our wedding was everything we could have wished for.

Wedding-11th January 2014

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lucy C

Dear Lucy C

Thank you very much for letting us know how much you enjoyed your special day with us. We always strive to ensure that not only do you have a magical day but your guests have a great experience too.

It was a pleasure to look after you all and I do hope that we will be welcoming you again to Dovecliff Hall soon.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

One night, B&B, was a present from my Hubs on our 10th anniversary. It is wonderful, the staff are friendly, the food is good, the bed was so comfortable we could have slept another day away. Only one or two issues, light bulbs blown and not replaced, no menu in our room, and an empty salt cellar on our table, and I found a cobweb in the bedroom! Seriously though, it was a memorable stay. The dinner menu was well presented, and cooked to perfection, an excellent choice of wines at a very reasonable price. Both Hubs and I were very pleased, and we will go back again.

Room Tip: There is no double glazing so there is noise from wind and weather.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jane B
dovecliffhallhotel, General Manager at Dovecliff Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Jane B

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide me with your feedback.

The minor issues are big issues to me and I have filtered this case to my staff, detail is very important and something that we strive for daily.

However I am glad you enjoyed the majority of your stay with us, and we hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burton upon Trent
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent
Riverside Hotel
Riverside Hotel
#1 of 1 in Branston
Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-Trent
Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-...
#4 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
#8 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Travelodge Burton Upon Trent Central Hotel
Travelodge Burton Upon Trent Cen...
#6 of 11 in Burton upon Trent

Been to Dovecliff Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!