“Fantastic”

Dovecliff Hall Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Burton upon Trent
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We had great pleasure in staying in this beautiful georgian house. Standing in 7 acres it is just lovely. The reception staff were very friendly and we were very pleased with our Lady Burton suite. I was disappointed with my breakfast but after I mentioned it to the management they were so apologetic and it was sorted. The gardens are also lovely, we had a lovely afternoon drink there. As we were checking out we rebooked a return stay. So looking forward to that.
Thank you to all.

Room Tip: Did enjoy Lady Burton suite.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
dovecliffhallhotel, General Manager at Dovecliff Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear logamg

Thank you very much for your recent feedback.

I would like to apologise for the problem you witnessed at breakfast, perhaps you could email me direct to discuss the issue - stuart@dovecliffhallhotel.co.uk. I am so glad however that my management team sorted out the issue for you there and then.

I am so glad that you are looking to come back to see us after an otherwise enjoyable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you soon.

Stuart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I think this hotel is probably the most juxtaposed I've ever stayed in, the building is a characterful Georgian affair with a very stylish interior/ decor. For the most part. They've located air con units right outside the conservatory and let the rear yard become a bit decrepit, right where you walk to the annex. The rooms are huge, tall ceilings, very comfy beds and avoid the use of irritating electronic key cards. Yet the interior decor is a bit tired where the main building isn't.

The receptionist was friendly and informative, the evening waiter enthusiastic but rather under trained and lacking confident customer service skills- apparently I had to wait while he sorted a few things before taking my dinner order- I was the only diner and my reservation time had already elapsed. The wine was delivered promptly but the iced water required a reminder, still the only diner. Being seated at your table is only permitted when the waiter is ready- apparently this is how they do things..

The food when it came consisted of excellent pea soup, very tasty lamb but a rather stodgy and over cooked chocolate and pecan tart. There's also a discretionary dinner sur-charge but at the hotels discretion not yours- I asked for it to be removed, shouldn't have to. And the table whilst very well presented still had lunchtimes crumbs on it.

Rooms suffer from some noise (thin wall behind the bed in my room) and the fire door makes a racket.

Breakfast was of a good standard, dining room is in the aforementioned conservatory which is very pleasant; If you're a lone diner they'll seat you facing away from the rest of the room- odd.

Trying to summarise the hotel is tricky, there are excellent parts, average parts and shoddy parts. Could be excellent though.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank ChiswickNomad
dovecliffhallhotel, General Manager at Dovecliff Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear ChiswickNomad

Thank you for your recent feedback.

As you can imagine to blend a Georgian hall with a modern wing extension can be rather tricky, at Dovecliff I feel that this has been achieved. There is never a perfect place to put air con units, and I am investigating to see if I could possibly box these off with some tasteful trellis work. I have taken on your comment regarding the alternative route to ground floor rooms and have added hanging baskets and additional plants to brighten this up.

I apologise regarding the service you received during your stay, this is certainly not normal practice here at Dovecliff Hall and I have instructed my restaurant manager to perfect some areas of training to ensure this does not happen again. I have also shared your food comments with chef.

I do hope you will try us again in the future, and I would really appreciate it if you could email me direct at stuart@dovecliffhallhotel.co.uk as I would like to further discuss your findings.

Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

I had my wedding at Dovecliff, the service they provided not just for me but our guests too was excellent!
Staff we're friendly and helpful and all the rooms are lovely.
The food was gorgeous.
It was actually Oct 2011 we stayed.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear rachaelcooper

Thank you very much for your great feedback.

We look forward to looking after you again in the future.

Great Torrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stayed here for a couple of nights in late December as part of a family group attending a wedding where we had taken over most of the rooms in the hotel. It is a very well-appointed Georgian house with only one minor inconvenience, the rooms in the wing or annexe are approached by a torturous internal route of corridors and stairways. Otherwise the decor of the public rooms is very good, the bedroom we had was spacious, the bathroom spotlessly clean and the bed very comfortable. The reception and bar staff were really welcoming and pleasant and no request seemed to be too much for them. The breakfasts were good and substantial, although like many places they seem to have a problem serving coffee hot. The evening meal that we had on one of the nights was in a lovely airy room, the menu choice was slightly restricted because of the large number of people but the quality of the meal was excellent. Certainly to be recommended for family occasions involving large numbers.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank NormanLewis
Dear NORMANLEWIS

Thank you very much for your recent feedback, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I would like to comment on the minor point, because of the age of the hotel to build an additional wing to the hotel meant that it had to be built at the back of the building. This has meant that there is a long corridor from the old hall into the new. There is always staff on hand if you would like additional help with your luggage and to show you through to your room.

I do apologise regarding your lukewarm coffee, this is not common practice and I have checked our water boiler for any irregularities.

We hope to welcome you back to Dovecliff Hall again in the future.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

we stayed here on a sunday night be aware that the restaurant is closed on sunday nights, but this is not a problem as you can order a light supper, we stayed in one of the garden rooms as we had a dog with us, great rooms loads of space only downside is that to get to the rooms you have to go round the back and go past the outside of the kitchen as you can imagine not the nicest route past the bins
over all a great place to stop over for a few nights

Room Tip: garden rooms are quiet
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul C
dovecliffhallhotel, General Manager at Dovecliff Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Dear Paul C

Thank you very much for your recent positive feedback.

You mention the route to get to the ground floor rooms, I would like to highlight to future guests that this is available to you as an alternative second way of getting to the ground rooms. The first is by way of walking up our grand stair case at reception and walking back to these particular rooms. Or there is the quicker 'shortcut' out of the front door and past the back of the kitchen.
I am sorry to say that you may have witnessed on this occasion some empty boxes and some beer barrels, but these are always moved away during each day and evening shift.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Visiting friends from London wanted to enjoy Sunday lunch yesterday and therefore I had no hesitation in booking us into the "Dovecliff" The food, service and venue can only be described as first class in every-way. Two of us stayed overnight to enjoy an excellent room and breakfast the following morning. If you have not tried the "Dovecliff experience" then you are missing a treat!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank wardforceone
dovecliffhallhotel, General Manager at Dovecliff Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear wardforceone

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know of your experience here at the Dovecliff, myself and the team enjoyed looking after you.

We hope to see you again soon.

Derby England
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Our daughter & son-in-law gave us an Afternoon Tea voucher as a stocking-filler for xmas.

What a disappointment! The tea consisted of 2 finger sandwiches each- one with half a slice of cucumber, the other with 'plastic' ham & they both had still-frozen butter. Absolutely awful.
The slice of cake was stale, the scone dry & the jam tasteless.
We walked out, but my husband decided it was only fair to give them feedback. The chap at reception took our details for the manager to contact us & did boast that the bread was KINGSMILL!!!!
To date, we have not heard from the manager (end of March).
We will NOT be returning, & we will not be considering this hotel for our youngest daughter's wedding!

If Dovecliff were hoping to attract more future custom with their Groupon voucher, they've failed, if they did it to make a quick profit, then they may have succeeded.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Patjo818DerbyEngland
Dear Patjo818DerbyEngland

I am so sorry that your details were not handed to me regarding your disappointing afternoon tea via a groupon voucher deal we ran recently.

After comments dating back to February, of which I believe it to be the month you visited us -I confirmed in my response on February 21st to another tripadvisor member that all feedback had been duly noted and issues had been resolved with the food selection being altered. From then on all feedback verbally and in writing much improved as a result.

I must add that the concept of Groupon is not to make a quick profit, far from it in fact -it is a way of reaching an audience who would never have even thought of coming over to see us and sampling what we can offer as a restaurant and a hotel. And I am so very sorry that we did not provide this for you on the day of your visit.

Please email me direct at stuart@dovecliffhallhotel.co.uk as I would like to discuss matters further and to hopefully show you that we can get it right here at Dovecliff Hall.

Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burton upon Trent
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent
Riverside Hotel
Riverside Hotel
#1 of 1 in Branston
Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park
Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-Trent
Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-...
#6 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
#8 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
The Grail Court Hotel
The Grail Court Hotel
#11 of 11 in Burton upon Trent

Been to Dovecliff Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!