“Fantastic wedding venue”

Dovecliff Hall Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Burton upon Trent
Reviewed 25 June 2014

My husband and I viewed many wedding venues before deciding on Dovecliff and we could not have been happier with our choice. The staff were all friendly and went out of their way to accommodate us. The building and grounds are magnificent even on a cold and windy day in November. We got lots of beautiful photos in and around the well kept grounds. The foods was lovely and we had many comments on the service.
We stayed the night in the bridal suit which was perfect and many friends and family occupied the other rooms and said how well presented they where.
A special thank you to our wedding co ordination Laura for doing a fantastic job setting up the wedding breakfast room/tables with such attention to detail. Thank you to all the lovely staff at Dovecliff for making our day so special we look forward to returning in the near future.

Mr and Mrs Mason

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Tanya M
dovecliffhallhotel, General Manager at Dovecliff Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear Tanya M

Thank you for your kind words regarding your wedding you had with us. You have captured just why Dovecliff Hall is such a great wedding venue in your feedback, it was an absolute pleasure looking after you and your party. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights in a superior room...Very nice building in a country setting.Spacious roomvery clean and nicely decorated.Very friendly staff..Breakfast tasty and freshly cooked..Nice garden to relax in.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear LancashireDolly

Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback on tripadvisor, I am so glad you had a good stay with us recently. Be sure to visit us again in the future where we look forward to looking after you.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Usually when you go to the georgian hotels they are rather tired and showing their age. This was very well presented, very clean, large modern bathroom comfortable bedroom.

The staff were very courteous and offered to help.

The countryside around the hotel was beautiful and made for a relaxing night before the next day's business.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank kazza2609

Dear Kazza2609

Thank you very much for taking the time to add your great feedback to tripadvisor. We certainly look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I have made a number of visits to The Dovecliff over the years - usually for a birthday lunch or some special treat. My husband and I love coming here because we love the ambiance of the house and gardens and have always been pleased with the food. It's so nice to come here for lunch, retire to the dining room for coffee then finish up with a walk around the grounds.

My two daughters came up from London and took me out to afternoon tea here today. We were surprised there was no menu - we were just shown a box of teas when we asked what was on offer. Also, we were expecting to be in the Orangery but we were told that they had finished clearing tables for lunch so we were in the dining room. We were also surprised that we weren't asked if we wanted champagne to start and were bought the tea straight away so it was too late to ask. Tea consisted of two finger sandwiches each, two tartlets each, two pieces of cake each and one scone each with jam and cream to share. The bread in the sandwiches tasted very cheap. They were very plain sandwiches - smoked salmon, cucumber and ham. The ham was tasty. The tartlets were lovely - lots of fruit and cream but the cake was a huge disappointment. A slice of very heavy lemon and plain chocolate cake. The scones were warm and fresh and there was just enough jam and cream. The website advertises strawberries but these did not appear.

We have had afternoon tea out a number of times in London and they really seem to go out of their way with the cake selection so this was a bit of a let down.

It's the first time I have been here and come away disappointed. All the more so because my student daughter (who can Ill afford to) paid for it. I do hope the Dovecliff takes this on board, I want to give it 5 stars but they need to up their game as far as afternoon tea is concerned. Afternoon tea has become quite a big business but I am sad to say the Dovecliff does not live up to expectations on this occasion.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Navybluebiplane

Dear Navybluebiplane

I am so sorry that we let you down recently, this really isn't our normal ways of service as you know from visits gone by. I have recently had some new members joining the team over the last couple of months so I can assure you these issues that you reported will be addressed.

I am also working with chef at the moment for ideas to add to the current afternoon menu so that it can be compared to afternoon tea venues that you find in the Capital.

Do please come and see us again I will ensure that your experience will be a marked improvement.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We had great pleasure in staying in this beautiful georgian house. Standing in 7 acres it is just lovely. The reception staff were very friendly and we were very pleased with our Lady Burton suite. I was disappointed with my breakfast but after I mentioned it to the management they were so apologetic and it was sorted. The gardens are also lovely, we had a lovely afternoon drink there. As we were checking out we rebooked a return stay. So looking forward to that.
Thank you to all.

Room Tip: Did enjoy Lady Burton suite.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
dovecliffhallhotel, General Manager at Dovecliff Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear logamg

Thank you very much for your recent feedback.

I would like to apologise for the problem you witnessed at breakfast, perhaps you could email me direct to discuss the issue - stuart@dovecliffhallhotel.co.uk. I am so glad however that my management team sorted out the issue for you there and then.

I am so glad that you are looking to come back to see us after an otherwise enjoyable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you soon.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

I think this hotel is probably the most juxtaposed I've ever stayed in, the building is a characterful Georgian affair with a very stylish interior/ decor. For the most part. They've located air con units right outside the conservatory and let the rear yard become a bit decrepit, right where you walk to the annex. The rooms are huge, tall ceilings, very comfy beds and avoid the use of irritating electronic key cards. Yet the interior decor is a bit tired where the main building isn't.

The receptionist was friendly and informative, the evening waiter enthusiastic but rather under trained and lacking confident customer service skills- apparently I had to wait while he sorted a few things before taking my dinner order- I was the only diner and my reservation time had already elapsed. The wine was delivered promptly but the iced water required a reminder, still the only diner. Being seated at your table is only permitted when the waiter is ready- apparently this is how they do things..

The food when it came consisted of excellent pea soup, very tasty lamb but a rather stodgy and over cooked chocolate and pecan tart. There's also a discretionary dinner sur-charge but at the hotels discretion not yours- I asked for it to be removed, shouldn't have to. And the table whilst very well presented still had lunchtimes crumbs on it.

Rooms suffer from some noise (thin wall behind the bed in my room) and the fire door makes a racket.

Breakfast was of a good standard, dining room is in the aforementioned conservatory which is very pleasant; If you're a lone diner they'll seat you facing away from the rest of the room- odd.

Trying to summarise the hotel is tricky, there are excellent parts, average parts and shoddy parts. Could be excellent though.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank ChiswickNomad
dovecliffhallhotel, General Manager at Dovecliff Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Dear ChiswickNomad

Thank you for your recent feedback.

As you can imagine to blend a Georgian hall with a modern wing extension can be rather tricky, at Dovecliff I feel that this has been achieved. There is never a perfect place to put air con units, and I am investigating to see if I could possibly box these off with some tasteful trellis work. I have taken on your comment regarding the alternative route to ground floor rooms and have added hanging baskets and additional plants to brighten this up.

I apologise regarding the service you received during your stay, this is certainly not normal practice here at Dovecliff Hall and I have instructed my restaurant manager to perfect some areas of training to ensure this does not happen again. I have also shared your food comments with chef.

I do hope you will try us again in the future, and I would really appreciate it if you could email me direct at stuart@dovecliffhallhotel.co.uk as I would like to further discuss your findings.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

I had my wedding at Dovecliff, the service they provided not just for me but our guests too was excellent!
Staff we're friendly and helpful and all the rooms are lovely.
The food was gorgeous.
It was actually Oct 2011 we stayed.

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear rachaelcooper

Thank you very much for your great feedback.

We look forward to looking after you again in the future.

Kindest regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Burton upon Trent
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent
Riverside Hotel
Riverside Hotel
#1 of 1 in Branston
Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park
Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-Trent
Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-...
#5 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Travelodge Burton Upon Trent Central Hotel
Travelodge Burton Upon Trent Cen...
#6 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
#8 of 11 in Burton upon Trent

Been to Dovecliff Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!