“Great dining experience”

Pascal at The Old Vicarage
Price range: US$18 - US$66
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Fine English cuisine with a French twist served in relaxed and comfortable surroundings.
Reviewed 16 June 2011

This is my favourite restuarant (and my wife's favourite too) for special occasions. The food and menu options have always been first rate. My wife and I are a young couple and love the relaxed atmosphere, it's the only restuarant in the area that gets this right. It's a great overall experience as you aren't just ushered to your table and "processed" like other places. We've always been warmly greeted, you then sit down and relax in the lounge with a drink, study the menu and order at your own pace. Only when the meal is ready to begin do you take your seat in the dining room (which I love, there's no sitting around staring at other diners getting their food and wondering when your own is arriving). Attentive and friendly staff equal the excellent food on offer.

2  Thank MrPrice18

Reviewed 16 June 2011

We eat out a lot - well, should I say that I eat out a lot because of my job. I know good food and this is great food! In fact, it's not just good food as the atmosphere is superb. Pascal makes his guests feel special. This is my first choice venue if eating out and one of the only reasons that I'd venture anywhere near Burton. It's an absolute gem.

2  Thank Warlock1963
Reviewed 15 May 2011

I can barely recognise the odd critical review of this establishment. It's perhaps hardly surprising that most of the clientele are in the 50+ age bracket (not being fans of fast food), and we found the service excellent - attentive but not obsequious.
We went for a birthday treat and the guests on the nearby tables were also celebrating birthdays too (one I think 40 and the other 70).
My wife was delighted with her crispy duck and chilli sauce starter, and even more with her scallop and ginger & spring onion risotto (£5 supplement).
Risotto is obviously a speciality as my asparagus starter came with a small portion of wild mushroom risotto, which was so good I actually enjoyed it more than the asparagus itself (fine though it was). The entire menu was very interesting but some of the dishes included ingredients to which I'm not partial (eg fennel seeds), so I settled for veal milanese which was as good as a veal milanese probably can be (not my first choice but nicely cooked and with an excellent crumb coating).
Vegetables (carrot, broccoli, fine beans and courgette) were cooked to perfection but served perfectly plain - presumably to please more people rather than for ease.
The bread & butter pudding was a bit light on the bread for my liking (and the layer on top rather drowned in butter and hence rather greasy), but as an egg custard it was great and the quality (and quantity) of the caramel and creme anglais sauces was spot on. No wonder other contributors have praised it highly.
I don't think I'd order sparkling water again at £3.55 for 0.75ltr, but they're happy to serve tap water and the pricing generally was good (with a number off-peak opportunities). More dishes that one might carry supplements , but at least this serves to keep the price down for those ordering less costly dishes to produce.
We're certainly going to go back sometime to try their Sunday lunch, even if in the process we increase the average age of the clientele by taking along my 85-year old mother...!

1  Thank Chris_and_Jean
Reviewed 5 April 2011

yes the Food is good. well actually not that good, but when visiting the parrents they still murder the veg and put things on your plate that you don't want then you will be at home. spot someone under the age of 60 and they will be a posh public school bod
however if you want somewhere to take old people to for a posh meal here is the place but wear jeans, just to annoy the snooty staff!

2  Thank pward09
Reviewed 3 April 2011

Our daughter lives in Burton-on-Trent and my wife and I visited this restaurant on June 19th 2010. We really enjoyed our visit for the first time then from our home in Peterborough. We decided to book for Mothers Day on 3rd April 2011. The first great thing we noticed was that the usual £19.95 for 3 course Sunday lunch was the same price for Mothers Day. The service, 3 course meal was truly excellent. The wine list is extensive too. WE CAN HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS RESTAURANT FOR SURE. They are now offering a "special sunset menu from 18.00-19.00 Monday - Friday where orders have to be placed before 19.00 note) for only £12.95 for 2 courses or £14.95 for 3 courses. That I promise you is amazing value! IF you have a Gourmet Society 'CARD' which our daughter bought us for Xmas, then they will accept this too "at selective times" though note. I read the comment about maturing people eating here. Well we found this restaurant will yes appeal maybe to more maturing people, BUT our 30 year old daughter thought it was great and we say quite a few "younger" people with yes more mature people. It is a quiet/peaceful venue and I would be very surprised if you didn't "rave" about the food. IF we lived within 25 miles of say Burton OT, we would be "regulars there" for sure, economy permitting! Give it a try, but you better book. We have just booked for Xmas Day! Worth the 75 mile drive! Ken + Linda GILL, Peterborough (daughter Vikki).

2  Thank kengill