“A special place to eat”

Pascal at The Old Vicarage
Price range: US$19 - US$66
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Fine English cuisine with a French twist served in relaxed and comfortable surroundings.
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The food, service and setting were excellent. Little special touches like canapés and olives served with pre dinner drinks made it even more special.
Very good value for money.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

This is somewhere special to go If you have a celebration or just
a cosy twosome it is so nice. The staff make you feel so welcoming.
well worth a visit,

1  Thank katyb63
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Everything on the night was perfect, service, food, atmosphere etc.
Would recommend to anyone who enjoys good food and good friendly service, probably the best restaurant in the area.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Came here for a birthday on a Tuesday night and we were delighted at the reception, the friendliness of the staff, the quality of food and the price. This is certainly a restaurant we shall be returning to. The lounge where we had an aperitif was lovely, and our table and service was very good. I cannot praise the evening enough. Thank you for an excellent time.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

My girlfriend and I went to Pascal at the Old vicarage on a Saturday night for a romantic meal. When we entered the building we were surprised to find ourselves in a hallway like you would find in an old house. After standing awkwardly by the door for a few minutes someone invited us into the lounge and bar area. The room was clean but the decor was extremely dated. We sat down for a drink to find the bar had a grand total of one beer (stella) on tap. Looking at the menu the food was reasonably from £27 for to courses to around £50 for 3 with a steak supplement. For this price we were expecting fantastic food, many of the other local restaurants in Burton offer excellent food at this price point or less. We were very very disappointed with the food, finding it bland, flavorless and just not worth the money. After finishing our mains we had had enough and didn't wan't to waste any more money so asked for the bill and left swiftly. The Winery by comparison is beautifully set with a nice atmosphere, with food that is worth paying these kind of prices for. Pascal gets one Point for friendly helpful staff but that is about it.

3  Thank TPJ89
pascalarnoux, Owner at Pascal at The Old Vicarage, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Thank you for your review. Our aim is to ensure that all of our diners enjoy the best possible experience, so I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed by your visit to us.

I am particularly upset that you did not enjoy your food – as I have said before on these pages, the quality of the ingredients and cooking here at The Old Vicarage is always my number one priority, and it is a source of real pride to see how much our diners usually enjoy their meals. We are a true ‘fine dining’ restaurant, serving rich flavours and only the very best quality ingredients aiming to ‘wow’ our clients, so it is disappointing that your verdict does not match those of many of our other reviewers. If you could telephone me on 01283 533 222 to give me some more detail, that would be helpful as I try to identify what more we could have done to make the food more suited to your tastes.

It is worth mentioning that our setting is a little different to many of the brasseries in our area, housed in an Old Vicarage, of which we have worked very hard to maintain most of the original features, including beautiful tiling in the entrance hallway. This, we feel, is in keeping with the ‘old fashioned’ values of service and quality of food that we focus on, and as we try to balance traditional cooking with contemporary flourishes, we are working to do the same with our décor. This approach also means that, while we try to cater for all tastes, we prefer our guests to experience the wines that I have selected to complement our food, rather than focussing on our selection of beers – I am sorry that this did not match your preference.

While our prices are similar, our approach itself is also very different to many of the brasseries you mention. I have mentioned our focus on our food, but we also set our store by offering an exceptional service and experience – we aim to top up your wine glasses for you, often serve ‘amuse bouches’ on weekend evenings, and generally go above and beyond the levels expected in these pub/bar/restaurant venues, so I am pleased to hear that you appreciated this.

Thanks again,