Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-Trent
The Grail Court Hotel(Burton upon Trent)
US$75
US$113
US$110
  • Pool
Dovecliff Hall Hotel(Burton upon Trent)
US$120
US$117
Amber House(Burton upon Trent)
US$90
US$87
Riverside Hotel(Branston)
US$96
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge(Burton upon Trent)(Great Value!)
US$73
US$58
US$73
PremierInn.com
The 3 Horseshoes(Barton-under-Needwood)
US$93
US$77
PremierInn.com
Travelodge Burton Upon Trent Central Hotel(Burton upon Trent)(Great Value!)
US$52
Travelodge
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsbeansstayed herecar parkparking chargealton towerstown centreflaming grillper nightbudget hotelbusiness parkstaff on receptionhot drinksfree wifidecent sizerooms are cleanyogurtlounge area
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Comfortable beds and clean rooms.

Overpriced drinks at the bar, but friendly service. Breakfast buffet below standard.

The booking site might lead you to expect inclusive broadband, but it is in fact available only at high cost -- you're better off buying a cell-phone dongle to plug into your computer.

Room Tip: Double with sofa-bed is big and costs the same. Book 20 days ahead for best price.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 April 2011

Stayed there for One night this week on a business trip.

The hotel is right next to a main road and the noise from the road is constant so I got little sleep that night.

The room and bathroom was clean but there was an awful smell coming from the drain in the sink which made me quite ill whilst trying to clean my teeth.

The breakfast was good, and the staff were friendly and helpful but all I want from a hotel when I am away for business is good internet and a decent nights sleep.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank NTandCS
Reviewed 5 April 2011

We stayed with a wedding party recently and was stung with a higher room rate that our friends as we bought in advance over the phone and not online. Apparently the receptionist should have advised us of a cheaper online rate during the booking but she didn't. This was an additional 20% on the bill. We asked for a reduction upon check-in but were refused. I am pleased to say the hotel manager stepped in after a polite email. He contacted me swiftly and refunded us the additional amount. A great example of customer service on his part.

The hotel itself was spotlessly clean and the room was large. Thin towels and uncomfortable beds but this is budget accomodation so overall it did not surprise us. Disappointed by breakfast - toast, jam and a cuppa was the best on offer. Complimentary papers was a good touch though.

Overall a pleasant stay and did the job.

Room Tip: Extra towels are kept on the bedroom shelf
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pixidusty
Reviewed 5 January 2011

This was just an overnight stop, on what was admittedly a snowbound frozen night. The foyer is huge, and full of floor-to-ceiling windows, and it appeared that the heating was either not working, or not on, as the floor was littered with small independent convector heaters, strategically placed in front of the coffee tables carefully ringed around a rather inadequate television on a stand.

The reception staff were pleasant and friendly enough, but must have been chilled to the bone. We should have been warned at that point. Our room was freezing, and had obviously had no heating for a while. Spotlessly clean, and a large bed, but it took hours to get the room to the right temperature. It also took me hours to get to sleep, because I was so chilled.

We never did discover why the hotel was so cold. It may have been that, with so few people staying that night, they had decided to economise and cut down the heating - certainly they had wasted no money on heating the public areas.

Despite that, we found the hotel comfortable and convenient, and would use it again - but on a warmer night!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2010

I stayed here on 4th December 2010 with my husband, sister and parents as we were attending my nephews wedding in nearby Barton-under-Needwood. We rang the hotel in advance as check-in time was 2pm and we were due to arrive at 1:15pm and were anxious to get to the village in good time so that we could meet with other family members and have a snack in the village pub before the wedding at 2pm. The receptionist said "we'll do our best". We arrived at 1:30pm and were told that only 2 rooms of the 3 were available and that the twin room for my parents was not. We checked in and my parents changed in our room and we went down to the bar. We'd seen the maids cleaning the rooms and there seemed to be plenty available. We went back downsatirs to the bar area and my parents (who are 80) wanted to have their own room key and as it was 1:50pm by this time, we decided to wait until 2pm so that they could check in. At 2pm, we asked again if we could check in. The guy at reception looked at the clock and said that housekeeping hadn't rung down yet to say that the rooms were all done. It was 2:05pm before we checked in and by the time we'd waited for a taxi and got to the village, the bride was at the church before us! I really think they could've had a word with someone on housekeeping and got a twin room cleaned quicker if they'd tried. We did ring in advance but still had to wait.

Aside from that, rooms are small but clean. The road outside is fairly noisy. Breakfast is minimal - I went down at 7am because I didn't sleep well due to the traffic and the scrambled egg in the buffet was dried up and inedible by then. The rest of the buffet consisted of bacon, pastries, cereal, tea/coffee, jouice and a toaster with some bread. It has the feel of a cafe rather than a hotel, but then I've never stayed in a holiday inn express before and I doubt whether I would again.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family