We stayed as a family for a weekend in June. It was very pleasant June weather, about 20ish degrees (the reason I mention that will be apparent).
The staff and reception were very friendly, welcoming and helpful. The hotel is a budget, limited service hotel and is clean and tidy, perhaps in need of a lick of paint and new carpet as it's looking a bit old.
We booked a family room (2 adults and 2 children 10 and 15). So we got a double bed and a sofa bed, when the sofa bed was out it was up against the end wall of the room and impossible to walk round. Thankfully we weren't in the room much other than to sleep otherwise it would have been a right pain.
The room was stiflingly hot when we arrived at 10pm. It was a fairly normal summer's day so hardly abnormal weather. We switched the aircon on, this was very noisy and made hardly any difference, it was really slow to chill the room. When none of us could sleep because of the constant whirring of the aircon we switched it off and opened the window. You could feel the cool air coming in immediately - relief! The relief was short lived though - traffic noise, alarms, people in the pub on the corner, the McDonalds drive thru across the dual carriageway - it was ages before we could get to sleep.
The beds were the complete opposite of each other. The double bed so soft and spongy that me and my wife just rolled into the middle so we had to sleep ' on the edges' of the bed. The sofa bed was rock hard. No-one had a comfortable night. It was worse the second night as it was a Saturday night and the noise from the pub on the corner went on for longer and there were more people outside as it has been a warm sunny day and was still a warm evening.
The breakfast was mostly as expected and for a budget hotel, good basic fayre, hot drinks, juices and bread/croissants/toast etc. However the cooked food option - sausages and scrambled egg is the sort of mass catering food that features on 'how do they get away with serving this' documentaries! The egg I presume comes as a powder, they add water and heat. It is simply disgusting. Many people did actually seem to be eating it - which goes to show why so many people are accustomed to ready meals and mass produced tastes. The sausages were presumably frozen ones, reheated and then able to build up a leather thick skin under the heat lamps.
I have stayed at Holiday Inn Expresses on my own when on business and would happily do so again given the prices you can get rooms for. It's generally a good budget brand and you get what you pay for. However I think if I told my family we were staying in one of their 'family rooms' again I would not be very popular, they woke up groggy from 2 poor night's sleep and frankly that's the most important part of a hotel stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoy a convenient location at the friendly Holiday Inn Express Burton upon Trent hotel, close to the A38 and A50. Our modern hotel is handily located in the Centrum 100 Business Park, just 30 minutes' drive from both Birmingham and East Midlands airports. Guests of Holiday Inn Express Burton upon Trent can wake up to an Express Start breakfast each morning and leave vehicles parked in our car park. Car parking is charged at £3.00 per night. All 82 of our comfortable Guest rooms have free wireless Internet and flat-screen TVs. You can host events for up to 65 guests in Holiday Inn Express Burton upon Trent's 3 air-conditioned meeting rooms. We're easy for your delegates to reach with convenient links to Birmingham, Derby, Nottingham and Stoke-on-Trent via the A50, A42, M6 and M1. Major conferences and exhibitions at Birmingham NEC are just 30 minutes drive from our hotel. Spacious Family rooms make us a good choice if you're visiting the nearby National Memorial Arboretum or thrilling Alton Towers theme park, a 45-minute drive away. Back at Holiday Inn Express Burton upon Trent, you can relax over drinks with friends and choose pub-style evening meals from the dinner menu in our sociable Great Room. Kids aged 12 and under eat free when accompanied by a paying adult. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HRS and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-Trent reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Burton-Upon-Trent Hotel Burton Upon Trent
- Holiday Inn Burton Upon Trent
- Burton Upon Trent Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Express Burton-Upon-Trent Burton Upon Trent, Staffordshire