“Good Location”

Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Burton upon Trent
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Good Location”
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night, good location off the A road, there is a flaming grill next door you can use in addition. The staff were very friendly and attentative. Would recommend for anyone staying in this area. Near a McDonald's and morrisons if required.

Stayed July 2014
David P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-Trent, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Dear Mattzzzz76

Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review for the Holiday Inn Express in Burton on Trent.

I'm very pleased to see you had an enjoyable stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

David Parrett

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Eire
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed here 5 nights for business purposes. It's very clean, rooms were of a good size and bathroom was lovely. Nothing was too much trouble for the friendly staff. The only thing that let the hotel down was the food. There was a great selection for breakfast and so long as you avoided the cooked food (sausages/scrambled eggs) it was good. The evening meals were just 'ok', most of it was ping ping food (microwave). The bonus is there is a pub just round the corner that serves great food. I read on here about rooms being noisy, my room faced the car park of the pub and I never had a problem with the noise.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear sjwagdomEire

I'm very pleased to see your 5 day stay was an enjoyable one.
I'll be sure to pass on your kind words to the team of staff here, it's always rewarding to hear good feedback.

With regards to breakfast and restaurant food I'm afraid as we are only an Express we have to keep both our menus within the brand standard so we are very limited to what we can offer.

I hope to welcome you back within the near future.

Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Stayed here on 19th and 20th June whilst visiting Alton Towers. in the past we have always stayed at the HI express in Stoke but it has now got very expensive so we stayed here. Very glad we did as it really is the best Express weve stayed in and over the years weve stayed in dozens.
Breakfast was as you would expect but tea and coffee are available all day something no other hotel has offered
and the staff really were great. There Is a Harvester and Toby Carvery less than 5 minutes away and Alton Towers was about 35 minutes. As I said we had a great stay and will definitely be back, just one thing folks, get that lift sorted out!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank KentishTravellers
David P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-Trent, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear Kentish Travellers

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review for the Holiday Inn Express in Burton on Trent.

I'm very pleased to see your stay here with us was an enjoyable one, I'll be sure to pass all your kind words on to our staff force.

Please rest assured our lift will be fixed within the very near future.

We hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed as a family for a weekend in June. It was very pleasant June weather, about 20ish degrees (the reason I mention that will be apparent).

The staff and reception were very friendly, welcoming and helpful. The hotel is a budget, limited service hotel and is clean and tidy, perhaps in need of a lick of paint and new carpet as it's looking a bit old.

We booked a family room (2 adults and 2 children 10 and 15). So we got a double bed and a sofa bed, when the sofa bed was out it was up against the end wall of the room and impossible to walk round. Thankfully we weren't in the room much other than to sleep otherwise it would have been a right pain.

The room was stiflingly hot when we arrived at 10pm. It was a fairly normal summer's day so hardly abnormal weather. We switched the aircon on, this was very noisy and made hardly any difference, it was really slow to chill the room. When none of us could sleep because of the constant whirring of the aircon we switched it off and opened the window. You could feel the cool air coming in immediately - relief! The relief was short lived though - traffic noise, alarms, people in the pub on the corner, the McDonalds drive thru across the dual carriageway - it was ages before we could get to sleep.

The beds were the complete opposite of each other. The double bed so soft and spongy that me and my wife just rolled into the middle so we had to sleep ' on the edges' of the bed. The sofa bed was rock hard. No-one had a comfortable night. It was worse the second night as it was a Saturday night and the noise from the pub on the corner went on for longer and there were more people outside as it has been a warm sunny day and was still a warm evening.

The breakfast was mostly as expected and for a budget hotel, good basic fayre, hot drinks, juices and bread/croissants/toast etc. However the cooked food option - sausages and scrambled egg is the sort of mass catering food that features on 'how do they get away with serving this' documentaries! The egg I presume comes as a powder, they add water and heat. It is simply disgusting. Many people did actually seem to be eating it - which goes to show why so many people are accustomed to ready meals and mass produced tastes. The sausages were presumably frozen ones, reheated and then able to build up a leather thick skin under the heat lamps.

I have stayed at Holiday Inn Expresses on my own when on business and would happily do so again given the prices you can get rooms for. It's generally a good budget brand and you get what you pay for. However I think if I told my family we were staying in one of their 'family rooms' again I would not be very popular, they woke up groggy from 2 poor night's sleep and frankly that's the most important part of a hotel stay!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear dontjustsitroundpool

Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review for the Holiday Inn Express in Burton on Trent, we welcome all feedback.

I'm sorry to see you were disappointed with the rooms here, during the summer months we are beginning a room refurbishment which I'm confident will give the bedrooms a more updated, modern, homely feel.

I'm afraid our free breakfasts are set to a branch standard so we are very limited as to what we can offer as an Express.

I do hope you'll decided to try our hotel again in the future, should you wish to do so please contact me directly on david.parrett@hiexburton.co.uk.

Callington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

First time at this hotel. Our advance request for a cool, quiet room was met and reception staff were very pleasant. We can't blame the hotel for the herd of elephants that trundled above us well into the night.

Our ground floor room was of reasonable size and adequately furnished but we wondered why all the fixed furniture and ensuite had been cut at an angle. There didn't seem any need to create more space. It's true to say the room was otherwise without much character but we were only using the hotel to break our journey so we didn't have a problem. Free WIFI was a bonus.

There is no doubt breakfast was a big disappointment - we have eaten far better quality meals at other Holiday Inns. Along with the carpet en route to our room, the dining room furnishings (chairs in particular) looked a bit used and abused. There was dust in the corner of the window ledge. We were offered about as basic a cooked breakfast as you can get - and still call it a cooked breakfast. The orange juice was no more than coloured water and tasteless. As a gluten free person I decided to stick with the grapefruit segments (which were very nice) and find something a bit more substantial further down the motorway!

It's OK as a cheap overnight stop but there are nearby alternatives which, given our time again, we would check out as well.

Room Tip: Groundfloor room no. 7 was quiet and cool. Window opens but only enough to allow in a breeze. No saf...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Shirley John G

I'm sorry to see you were disappointed with the free breakfast we have on offer, as with all Expresses we have to stick to a branch standard so we are very limited to what we are able to provide.

During this summer months we are refurbishing our bedrooms, I'm confident this will give our rooms a more modern, homely feel.

We hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future.

Cumbria, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Not the best Holiday Inn Express - stayed here now a few times since November last year and twice recently the rooms are tired, bathrooms and showers grubby and old fashioned leaving you the feeling of a well used hotel probably soon to be disposed of to a Mecure to run into the ground.

Staff are good and friendly

The noise form the A38 and road in to Burton is constant with the added bonus of young drivers showing off on the retail park oppisitte into the night adding to the noise.

Serves a purpose not one to come to with the wife

Room Tip: Aviod rooms near the stairs of lift, Walls are thin and you hear your neighbours argue on the phone...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
David P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-Trent, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Rob H

I'm happy to let you know that our hotel will be under going a room refurbishment starting next month, I'm hoping this gives the hotel a clean, fresh, updated feel which will make your stay with us more comfortable.

We hopefully look forward to welcoming you back after the summer months.

Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here while we were visiting alton towers. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Rooms clean, breakfast good. The only comment I would make is we had a family room, with a young baby and it was very alkward washing the baby in a shower. I think family rooms should have a bath. Apart from that it was a great stay

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear linkylou

I'm pleased to see your stay with us fulfilled your expectations. I'll pass on all your fabulous comments to our staff force, its always very rewarding to hear good feedback.

I'm afraid all our rooms have showers instead of baths, however I've taken your comment on board and I will be purchasing a baby bath so hopefully if you decide to stay with us again this will make bath time a bit easier for you.