“it was just perfect.”

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Burton upon Trent
Rotherham, United Kingdom
“it was just perfect.”
Reviewed 22 March 2011

just perfect,nothing was to much trouble for staff. everyone was very helpful and organized.food was fab, the room was very spacious. cleanliness was exceptional.within walking distance of town, roughly fifteen minutes.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank s-dannatt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2011

I had booked into the hotel faitly late, about a week before I was due to mee others ther. I mentioned to the booking staff that I have a disability and find walking difficult. I arrived to fine that they had allocated me a room on the top floor of the main hotel. There was no lift!... They found me a room on the same side that involved me in climbing about a dozen stairs. They said that other rooms were available on the other side of the hotel bit the lify was broken and waiting to be fixed. They told me that they could give me a room there the next day. Frankly, I wished that I had gone home there and then. The allocated room was cold thanks to the heating controls not workng properly. The bed was hard and lumpy - I got very little sleep that night - and as I found out later there was no hot water. I did move rooms the next day but by then the damage was done - you only get one chance to make a good inpression. A lot of the time the bar was left unattended despite people sitting in there. The meals were average despite them saying they had an award winning chef - anyone can cook steak! The staff tried their best and worked hard - that was the one saving grace. On checkout I asked if there was any chance of them discounting my bill due to all the aggravation I had and was told - very politely - that it was not possible.
I have learned my lesson and will not be staying there again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank foxtrotoscar2011
IHT_Spend_it, Owner at The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge, responded to this review, 21 March 2011
We are sorry the guest did not enjoy his stay. The leader of his group has posted a very informative review under "well pleased" (15 March). Had we been informed of the guests mobility problem prior to his arrival we would have made every possible facility for him. Despite the hotel being full the staff immediately arranged for him to have a room with the least number of steps. Had the lift not been out of service (3 hours) we would have moved him immediately to a room in that part of the hotel it served. The following day the guest was immediately moved to a room serviced by the lift. We are an historic hotel dating from 1531 and as a consequence only a number of rooms are suitable for guests with mobility difficulties, however, when we are aware in advance we do make every possible effort.
Frimley Green, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 March 2011

Just stayed here on business and was recommended by the client. They insist on taking you to your room, which is OK if there is more than one person on the reception desk alas there was only one when I arrived but no big issue in the end. I stayed in a quirky room with a lounge and the bedroom upstairs (The Eleanor Suite - named after my Gran!). The room is a bit dark, the bed had seen better days but everything was clean and servceable with everything you need. The food for dinner was reasonably priced (two courses £14.95), portions too big really (I had the goats cheese on beetroot which was nice but too much) followed by the salmon and monkfish casserole, again a piece of salmon fit for two people. The presentation was more gastro pub than fine dining but very tastey, the service was very friendly and everyone is down to earth. The breakfast was good (need to upgrade the OJ though!) and a huge choice, freshly cooked which is always nice, the staff were friendly and it was like being at a friends house! Again large portions. As my meeting was up the road the receptionist suggested I leave the car in their car park while I walked to my meeting as parking is tight in Burton. I came back to the hotel after the meeting and realised I had left a hanger in the wardrobe and asked could I go back into my room, which the receptionist was only too happy for me to do and it allowed me to change into better clothes to schlep back home in. The best bit was that someone had kindly washed the road dirt off my car when I came to pick it up, all part of the service apparently!! I should have also said that as part of the service they will bring you a hot drink to your room when you wake up along with your complimentary paper, amazing service. Overall the friendly staff made it a nice stay, would stay again if I need to be in Burton!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
West Sussex
Reviewed 15 March 2011

A party of us (16 plus) spent a weekend at the Three Queens. The general concensus was that it was very good value for money, although one or two disabled members did have some difficulty. Personally, I thought it was excellent for the money - a well appointed room with a large bed, and (importantly for me) nice and quiet. The staff were helpful, andf the food excellent. They also threw in a morning coffee/tea delivered to the room, and a complimentary paper.

The lounge was very comfortable with a bar.

My gripes were pretty trivial, and barely worthy of mention, so I won't.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Paul_East_Wittering
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2011

After reading the good reviews on here and ignoring the bad, I decided to give it a chance and book ,as it was only for one night! I am a frequent traveller and have stayed in many different types of hotel, from average to excellent and always enjoy the experience of staying in hotels. But I have to write and say that this was just about the worst hotel that I have ever stayed in, and can honestly say that I would rather have stayed at home!!!
The small over furnished room was sold as an executive double!!! Have never seen anything less like an executive double in my life!!! I did question whether they had my booking correct and was assurred that this was definately just that!!! It was impossible to walk into the bathroom without hitting your side on the sink. It was all so old and tired and in desperate need of bringing into the present century. The public areas had very worn carpet in places and the bar was very cold and uninviting. We declined to have a meal in the restaurant and was extremely pleased to be leaving the next morning after a very poor nights sleep. I just cannot believe that this is rated the best hotel in town.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2011

We had to stay in Burton upon Trent for one night last week due to a business meeting early the following morning. After reading reviews for hotels in this town, decided to book what I thought was the best availble ie the number one hotel on this site!!!
After spending the previous night in the beautiful Bull and Swan hotel in Stamford, I wasnt expecting this hotel to be of that standard!!! [although the same price!!!]
I had booked an executive double room which I thought would be ok as it was not cheap for the area at £95 a night.
We checked in and was shown to the room which was tiny, stuffy, and crammed with old fashioned furniture!!! It looked to me like a single room as there was one towel, one chocolate on a pillow and the small bed so close to the wall that the person sleeping that side struggled get out!! The bathroom was hideous!! It was so tiny that it was impossible for anyone more than 8 stone to squeeze past the sink when opening the door.!!!!!
After 10 seconds in the room i phoned reception as I knew that this could not possibly be the executive double that I had booked!!! I was told that this was the only room left in the hotel and was indeed an executive double!!! If it had'nt been absolutely necessary I certainly would not have stayed here for even an hour!!.
We have stayed in numerous hotels in the uk and Europe, some obviously better than others and its very rare that I feel the need to write comments, this one is so bad I just have to, especially as we both woke up [after little sleep] with bites on our arms and legs!!
This whole hotel looks like it belongs in the 70's from the worn out carpets in the public areas, the decor [dark red/blue paintwork, slapped on] etc.
I could say more, but feel I need to stop as i'm starting to relive the nightmare of this place

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Helene067
Derby
Reviewed 12 February 2011

I only stayed at the Three Queens for one night but the stay was a memorable one. Check in was very efficient and to my pleasant surprise I was shown to my room. Not by the doorman carrying my bags and holding his hand out for a tip but by the receptionist. I can't say whether this is a service the hotel always provides, it was very quiet when I checked in, but it was still a nice touch.
The room itself was very comfortable, ok some would say dated, but this doesn't bother me. Clean, quiet and comfortable are far more important than the pattern on the bedspread.
To round things off nicely I had a great breakfast before I left the next day. Again the staff were great and there was something to suit everyones taste.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo