“Good Value”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Burton upon Trent
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Good Value”
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed here with friends as we were attending an event at the National Brewery Centre. Great location as it is right in the centre and just up the road from the event. We had a large room in the lodge which is just across the car park from the main hotel, it could probably do with updating but was clean and comfortable and I would definitely recommend staying here as it was good value for the money.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Alison N
Julia W, Manager at The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, your comments are important to us. We work closely with The National Brewery Centre to ensure all visitors to Burton on Trent have a memorable time

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Wirral, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My daughter and stayed here of a Sunday evening as the hotel was directly opposite where my daughter was working the following day. The hotel was chosen for its location and also for the fact that it had a restaurant with an acceptable menu. However, on arrival we were informed that the restaurant was closed that evening which meant we had to walk around in an unknown area looking for somewhere to eat! The breakfast was good. The staff were really friendly.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank gourmet42
Please accept our apologies for our restaurant not being open on Sunday evening, we were experiencing unforeseen circumstances. We did offer a bar food menu for those guests wanting a bite to eat. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast with us & I shall pass on your comments to the staff
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My stay here was first class from the reception for booking in to the service from the dining room, the room was very clean nice and quite, and the food was good. Nothing was to much trouble for any of the staff. Will certainly stay here again and recommend to other people

Room Tip: Ask for what you need, and you will get it, staff very helpful, I had a ground floor lodge, brillian...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Derek M
Thank you for your kind review, we are pleased to hear that the team helped make your stay a pleasurable experience & we hope to see you again
Hartford
Reviewed 1 March 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights to attend a wedding in Burton. Our room was tired and the 4-poster bed was very unsteady. However the staff were extremely friendly and helpful- Lisa in particular. We had dinner on the first night, which was not included in the price, and it was very disappointing- average food. The breakfast was very good, although it did take some time to be served. The waiting staff were fantastic. The whole experience was marred by two of us tripping on a step which was in a badly lit corridor and had no warning to "mind the step". Both sustained bad injuries but the staff were very helpful, bringing ice to help ease the pain, and arranging a taxi for my friend to go to A & E for an x-ray. She had a broken bone in her foot. As my injury was to my rib, my son, a doctor, whom I contacted to ask for advice, told me that there was no point in me having an x-ray as the treatment for cracked or broken ribs is the same-none! I am still in pain after 5 weeks. My GP thinks it is probably broken and will just take time to heal. The accidents would not have occurred if we had been shown to our room instead of being told approximately where it was, and indeed did not even need to have been in the corridor where the incident happened. Other guests told us that the next day everybody was being shown to their rooms. When checking out, there wasn't a mention of what had happened and we were charged the full rate plus the cost of the dinner and wine. This I consider to be very bad customer relations, and inconsiderate.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review complimenting our staff on being helpful. I understand that the owner of the hotel has personally been in touch with you in regard to this incident. I was also personally on duty at the hotel on the Saturday and Sunday & spoke to you both in detail asking how you were & even commenting on the fact that the Night Porter even found a stick for your friend to use. I also spent 30 minutes chatting to the group upon check out. Upon returning from hospital I was informed the lady had sprained her ankle but since your letter to the owner stating that she had a broken bone I took the liberty of reporting this to the H & S Executive. They have stated that due to the age of the building they are happy with the hotel. We do hope you both recover very soon
Shropshire
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights recently on a deal that included a three course evening meal and breakfast. large carpark, plenty of room to park near the entrance of the hotel.
Receptionist was pleasant and we were allocated room 31 .It appeared that it had been recently refurbished and the bathroom looked quite new. A lovely touch was the little rubber duck in the bath !
A couple of strange things made us laugh really---a bottle opener on the wall in bathroom along with another telephone!
Bed was beautiful-so comfortable! The room overlooked the street but we didnt hear any traffic really to disturb us.
The room was spotless clean--except for the windows--and they were pretty dirty!
Breakfast was lovely, as was the dinner on the first night..they were very kind and did me a cheese board instead of a pud--and it was beautiful!
All the staff were lovely and cheerful except one older waitress at breakfast whose face would turn the milk sour! Very Grumpy!
Had to pay from wifi in the room which is quite unusual these days..£7.50 a day I think it was--though there was an option to have 2 hours or 8 hours think...I did press the wrong button on the second day and did the 24 hr instead of the 8 hours but they did refund the difference for me when I checked out..

all in all a lovely place to stay and would def return again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dianejennings
Julia W, Manager at The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Thank you for your review, we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, we are currently having free wifi fitted throughout the building, it was one of the first things the new owners planned when they purchased the hotel in November, it has taken us a while to get things arranged as it is such a large building but we are pleased to say its in progress now.
Wirral
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Like many others, we stayed here on a Living Social deal and it was excellent. Our room was a little dated, but large, warm, comfortable and clean. The staff were very friendly and made us feel welcome. The deal included dinner, which was excellent; we had plenty of choice and both enjoyed the food very much. My husband is on a low sugar diet and asked whether he could have cheese instead of the lovely desserts; the chef provided a generous platter of lovely cheeses, which was really appreciated. Breakfast was excellent too - plenty of choice and a relaxing start to the day. On our second night we visited the Baan Thai restaurant just across the road - and would thoroughly recommend it. Car parking at the hotel was easy and free. The only slight negative was lack of free wi fi in our room - but this was a very small drawback. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CarolineVaughan
Thank you for your kind review, It is always pleasing to hear that our staff assist in ensuring that you have a great stay, we look forward to seeing you again
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel as a stopover whilst on business. Reviews were ok but room was tired & bathroom had not been cleaned properly. It was also quite cramped.

Our breakfast took 30 mins to arrive whilst guests who arrived after us were served. On bringing this to the attention of waiting staff we were told it was the cooks fault, no real apology. Eventually our food arrived (which was the best part of the stay and very tasty).

On departure we informed the receptionist of the delay with breakfast, got a mumbled apology and then had to listen to her grumble about the technology she had to work. Hardly something I needed to hear.

The hotel decor was tired & the carpets in the communal areas could use a clean. It was also disappointing to have to listen to the waiting staff bickering over which tables they were taking care of. Surely not what you want customers to hear.

Overall a disappointing visit. I won't be returning.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MachiavellianSheep
I am very sorry to hear that our service was not up to our normal very high standards during your stay, I do sincerely apologise for this & I have spoken to the related persons about your feedback. Should you ever find your self in the Burton area again, please call & ask for me personally as I would like the opportunity to show you that this was certainly unusual for the standards we always try to portray here at the Three Queens Hotel & Lodge