“Welcome to the 70's”

The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Burton upon Trent
Reviewed 1 February 2011

I spent a dreadful night at the Queens Hotel in Burton.
The welcome was insipid but functional, I knew it was a single room before booking but cramming it furniture was a daft idea, if you moved the footstool or the chair you could not walk around the room.
The TV remote was missing and it took two hours to find a spare one with the comment "that was lucky or you would have had to do without".
The room has single glazing and is on the corner of a very busy junction. The heating was sent to inferno but this could be turned down.
The bathroom is dreadful and clearly hasnt been updated since the 70's a moulded plastic affair with lots of cracks.
I was delighted to find long grey hairs in the shower the following day especially as I have short hair, so cleaning is not a priority.
Breakfast staff were nice and possibly the high point of the visit.
When I mentioned my issues to reception I was told we are refurbing so it will be better and then after a bit of prompting a "sorry".
Not impressed - stay anywhere else or travel to Derby, Birmingham or home!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank mwd_uk

Reviewed 1 January 2011

I had to stay here for 1 night due to building work at m home. I am so pleased I didn't have to stay for 2 ! Nobody on reception on arrival, had to go to bar and ask, event though there is a phone on reception stating to use if no one there. Check in took forever, room was ok for 1 night, but havehad much better in Premier Inn. Bar - for saying this hotel is in Burton on Trent, well known for it's brewing industry, the only bitter they sell is Worthington Cream Flow, what a huge disappointment. I was served a cold white wine in a warm glass and returned another drink due to a dirty glass. Although I did eat here and the food was ok, it was painfully slow service and not good value for money as the portioins are VERY small. Breakfast was fine, but one member of staff is away with the fairies and keeps disappearing, making it a long wait for things you want.
There are much better hotels in around Burton and would definitely check these out before using this Hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank vinniesbetterhalf
Reviewed 19 December 2010

due to the weather conditions in birmingham i had to spend the night in burton on trent.
i booked a room for myself at the three queens hotel. i couldnt have picked a better place to stay. i was made very welcome by all the staff at the hotel reception, bar ect. the room was lovely, clean and warm.i had a drink at the bar and although they were busy with a xmas party they were more than friendly.on checking out the porter (didnt get his name) was more than helpful and i had an early breakfast before i left for work. i would highly reccomend this hotel and say thankyou to all at the queens for making an unexpected stay for me so nice.once again thankyou and merry xmas.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 December 2010

I feel that the hotels website and the really positive reviews on here have contributed to my disappointment. Ok, the hotel was clean and the bed comfortable. I understand lots of money has been put into restyling the bedrooms? i do not understand this the room was small, stuffy and very old fashioned! Take your own hairdryer as its one of those in the bathroom and it takes about an hour to dry your hair. Our trouser press did not work however an iron and board was bought up to us within 15 minutes. Overall the staff were ok, the lady at breakfast was a bit vague and didnt pay us much attention, i like the waitress service breakfast rather than a buffet, but juice and water on the table would be great as the waitress kept dissappearing. The walls are thin i could hear everything goin on next door! It did the job but i do not believe it lived up to the hype on here!
oh and i would rather have no duck in my bathe than one that gone brown with age.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2010

My Wife and I have just had another short stay at the Three Queens Hotel, in Burton upon Trent. We have stayed here three or four times a year for the last five years, and always had "Excellant" service. From reception to check-out, the staff have been vary helpfull with personal attention to room service (a newspaper or cup of tea in the morning) outside the door. Outstanding selection of menu`s both breakfast and evening meals if required and bar service vary good. Back again next year -- R..& E Fleckney; Angelsey.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2010

This was the 3rd time I stayed in this hotel and once again it was pretty good. You can get less expensive hotels in the town as I have paid £75 each time I have stayed but it is reasonable given the quality of the room and the breakfast. All credit to the night porter that went off and made bacon rolls for 3 of us at 1.00am in the morning.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 October 2010

I booked a weekend 2 night break for 2 of us as we were visiting relatives in the area. As many people have already said, the staff were very pleasant and more helpful that most hotels I have stayed in. We were upgraded to an executive room which had a 6 foot wide bed and plenty of room, and it also had a bit of character unlike many cloned rooms in hotels nowadays, and the hotel has realised that inexpensive gestures like providing a newspaper and bringing an early morning drink set it apart from many other hotels. Another plus point was the checkout time of 11:30 rather than rushing everyone out at 9am, which recognises the fact that people do stay in hotels for leisure and are not all business travellers.

The bar area is full of comfortable seats where one can easily relax and while away some free time, but issue number one is that the hotel has no real ale. Normally I expect poor beer in hotels, but Burton upon Trent is the spiritual capital of beer in the UK and to only have a choice of fizz is disappointing.

The weekend package included a 3 course meal on both evenings, and the quality was excellent, but I have to say that the portions for the main meal were rather small. I know there is a fashion for quality food consisting of tiny portions, but I'm an old fashioned type and like to see my plate full.

One final point is that the hotel has a car park round the back, and I believe that your car is washed for you on a midweek stay, though this didn't apply to us. Many hotels omit to mention that they have no car parking facilities, and end up paying through the nose for parking which can be considerable when you are not on expenses.

Where was my duck though?

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple