“Really good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Horseshoe Inn

The Horseshoe Inn
Price range: US$6 - US$18
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Cheap Eats, Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Kids, View, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Tutbury
“Really good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

Initial service a bit slow, but food came out within 15 mins, hot and very very good.
Have had meals here several times at lunchtimes and evenings.
Can't believe the poor reviews are we at the same restaurant?

Visited January 2014

Nuneaton, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

First and last time to The Horse Shoe Inn, Tatenhill!
My partner's family took me along for a Friday evening meal. They have visited regularly over many years but did warn me that the last few times were a bit disappointing and that there may be a long wait to be served. I'm always willing to give a new place a go!
Great location and looks ok inside, but for a Friday evening it wasn't a busy pub. We sat the 'olds' down and headed to the bar. The barmaid seemed unhappy to be there and just pointed to the side when I asked where the menus are kept. After ordering drinks (the Pedigree was good!) and making our food choices we returned to the bar to order our meals, and we were warned that it will be 30-40 minutes. After almost an hour (and several prompts!) the starters arrived. Starters eaten and cleared away within minutes, then another wait of 3/4 hour until the main meals arrived. One or two of our group said to the waitress that the wait was too long, and within seconds of her leaving, the very scary manager arrived at the table, clearly angry and up for a debate about whether our wait was acceptable or not!!!! Incredibly embarrassing for the whole party and we had to tell her to "Leave it", "Don't worry" and "Everything's fine" in an effort to calm her and get her to leave us to our meal! Only one of us enjoyed a meal (liver and onions!!), but the food was poor. Mine had obviously been kept warm for a long time after cooking and was very hard and dry... but there's no way I'd dare complain. We had been there ages and just wanted to leave!
We had all gone there in a happy mood but left grumpy and dissatisfied. So, a justified poor rating and we won't be returning!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank BikeAlarmMan
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Burned fingers”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

Have visited here a few times but after the last time, never again. From the specials menu I choose the “sizzling duck”. On refection I now know how they get the “sizzle”. The duck, and mainly onions, were cooked normally and then placed on a small plate that has been heated. My estimate of the plate temperature is about 150C-180C. When the duck is placed on the plate it of course sizzles. The plate is placed on a small wooden tray not much bigger than the plate and served. No mention was made that the plate was hot and when I moved the tray towards me I accidently touched the plate, badly burning two fingers. The harridan from the bar said “well it is sizzling”. She did get some cream salve and muttered something about a discount. but of course then disappeared and when shortly afterwards I went to pay there was no sign of any senior members of staff. Sadly, like many English people I didn’t like to complain and told everyone that I was ok in order not to spoil the meal. The woman has no doubt forgotten all about this incident, but I have two badly burned fingers which will take a month to heal.

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank Danti A
Staffs
“Not Impressed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

I booked a table for 4 for my Wife's surprise Birthday treat, we were not impressed! The girl behind the bar taking orders seemed extremely over worked and didn't really know what she was doing, My Son and me had a mixed grill which was missing sausage and the salad, and my other son ordered cheesey garlic ciabatta bread to go with his bbq chicken melt, and ended up with 2 tiny slices of normal garlic bread, the food we got was tasty to be fair, but you do expect to receive the food you pay for! When I have had a mixed grill elsewhere I have left feeling totally stuffed, we got so little here we were still hungry. At no time during or after our meal did we get asked if the food was okay etc. On leaving we had a quiet word with staff about what we had not been given and were given no explanation, no apology, just sneered at for daring to question them and given £1.20 of our £45 back, after hearing good things about the place, needless to say we won't be going back there ever again!

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank BinnyStaffs
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
“Food ok, service unacceptable”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

Been here a few times both in couples and bigger family groups and always looked forward to it, as the good has always been good and the service friendly. This time was a Saturday night, we had booked for 7.30 but weren't actually seated until quarter to 8 as we had to wait to see which table was ours. We ordered and waited a further 45 mins for our meals which were below the standard we have had before. The steaks and gammon appeared overdone as though they had been under the hot plate for a while. I was under the impression they are understaffed at the moment and that certainly had an impact. We ordered desserts and these came promptly, but my one complaint is that we could hear shrieking and swearing from the kitchen when the door opened. Not professional and not acceptable - regardless of whether you have paid £10 a head for your meal or £30, you don't expect to hear that

1 Thank 107leannek