Amber House
US$90
HIExpress.com
  • Breakfast included
The Grail Court Hotel(Burton upon Trent)
US$75
US$113
US$110
  • Pool
Dovecliff Hall Hotel(Burton upon Trent)
US$120
US$117
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge(Burton upon Trent)(Great Value!)
US$73
The 3 Horseshoes(Barton-under-Needwood)
US$93
US$77
PremierInn.com
Travelodge Burton Upon Trent Central Hotel(Burton upon Trent)(Great Value!)
US$52
Travelodge
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewspreservestea and cakethe national memorial arboretumon arrivalhome from homeindian restaurantbooking websiteensuite roomreceived a very warm welcomecooked breakfastsourced locallyaward winningnice comfy bedfront of the housebreakfast was excellentnext morningfull english breakfast
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Had a wonderful evening at this guesthouse, the owner Gill, met me at the door and was instantly attentive to my needs, most places when they offer you a pot of coffee, actually mean 'Can I make you a quick cup of instant coffee?" Gill brought out a 1 litre cafetiere of freshly brewed ground coffee and a slice of chocolate cake. Just what was required after a long drive and a wedding reception to follow. My room was very nicely prepared, with fresh linen on the bed and the bathroom smelling of the many skincare and perfumed products available to you. Which was a welcome scent compared to most hotels I have stayed in previously. Gill then proceeded to make note of the local taxi companies in the area to help me get into Lichfield and back for the reception, and recommended a friendly private hire driver from the local area.
After returning and having a sound nights sleep in the good sized bed, I entered the dining area just off from the main lounge and was greeted by the smell of freshly baked bread and a selection of preserves and fruits with yogurt. All the preserves were made by Gill, and the lemon and brown sugar marmalade was a perfect accompaniment to the multigrain and ciabatta flour loaves. The cooked breakfast was wonderful too, with locally sourced ingredients and home made hash browns, the bacon was perfectly salty, not bland but not over powering, and went very will with the poached eggs and hash browns.

I would recommend staying here to anyone looking for a room in the area, and for the price, it's worth the extra ride out from wherever you are locally rather than staying in a chain hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Amber House so that dad could go to the National Memorial Arboretum, the Far East POW memorial in particular having been held by the Japanese from the fall of Singapore. Gill was genuinely interested in him and his story. Gill was always on hand to offer coffee and biscuits and her range of breakfast options was exceptional at the price charged for the stay. Overall it was excellent value for money and a pleasant break.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Just a one night stay for my wife and I to attend a family funeral. We received a very warm welcome and were shown to our room. We were offered coffee from a cafetiere and a biscuit in the lounge. Our room was very nice with a large ensuite that overlooked the front of the house and the busy main road, but it didn't disturb us at all, yes you could hear the traffic but it wasn't that noticeable.
The ensuite was large with just a shower and a very good shower at that!

Breakfast was very good, with fruit and yogurt with a small selection of seeds and nuts. Homemade bread was served as well.
A full English breakfast was served as well.

We had a very nice stay for the one night.
If I wanted to be picky, I was a bit surprised not to find any soap in the shower, maybe it was an oversight, not sure, it didn't matter as we had our own anyway, but in all the B&B's we've stayed in, especially of this quality, soap or shower gel has been available.
And breakfast was excellent, but I prefer it fried, I think it was grilled and the scrambled egg, was done in the microwave...I think, my personal preference is done in a pan as it is a little more moist. Yes, I'd stay there again and yes I could recommend Amber House, we had a lovely relaxing stay after a long drive.

Room Tip: If you struggle with distant traffic noise ask for the back room. Take shower gel just in case.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Not an experienced B & B'er but this place was wonderful. My wife and I were completely satisfied. If visiting the National Memorial Arboretum this is ideal. We stayed for 2 nights. A warm welcoming cuppa. Never mind the local pubs, get Gill to provide dinner, absolutely delicious. Well she likes cooking. A wonderful hostess. Would love to visit again but it is a long way from Kent.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Derrick A
Reviewed 6 June 2013

The proprietor could not be more helpful, the room was comfortable and we were given tea and cake in the guest lounge on arrival, being a bed and breakfast if felt cosy. breakfast was excellent, we were able to choose from a full breakfast menu as well as fresh fruit, cereals and beautiful home made bread.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple