“Fabulous!!!! So much fun!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Kandy Factory

The Kandy Factory
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Based in Burton's recently refurbished Victorian Market Hall, we offer chocolate making experiences for all ages & abilities. So what is The Kandy Factory? It's a place where you can have loads of fun making chocolately things. Think of it like 'paint-a-pot', but you can eat it and you get to take away everything you make on the day ! From bars, lollies and fun moulds, to popping candy pizzas, stiletto shoes, vanilla truffles & plaques. Our kids birthday parties are very popular, together with visits from groups such as Brownies & Cubs, Special needs groups, care homes & nurseries. Works outing & Hen dos are also popular. We also run a number of different workshops, such as making handmade chocolates, and also have a regular Thursday night 'Bring a Bottle' evening from 7pm to 9pm (advanced bookings only) where you can relax with friends while making something delicious to take away. As well as the chocolate and candy creations we also sell a range of sweets, plus hot & cold drinks including slushes, our Ultimate Hot Chocolate and range of yummy ice-cream milkshakes.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Stairs / lift, Baby buggy parking
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous!!!! So much fun!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

I recently took my 3 children aged 10, 9 and 4 to the Kandy factory.
The children LOVED it!! The staff were attentive and really explained the whole process well involving the children at every stage, the children loved walking away with their little bags of goodies they'd made!!!
The hot choc and milkshakes were to die for too! Will 100% be returning!!

1 Thank Lisa A

Matlock, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“a huge let down”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

I bought a chocolate making experience for two people for Christmas for my future daughter in law. She spent weeks trying to make a booking and after some chasing phone calls we were both booked in for this evening only to turn up after over an hour's journey to be told by the security staff closing up that the proprietor had gone home and the place was in darkness ! They even double checked the premises for us. We were told this had happened a number of times. We have both made several phone calls over the course of tonight on two separate contact numbers, leaving messages without the courtesy of any return call or explanation. Its not just the wasted cost but the lost time leaving work early(which I have to make up), the waste of time and fuel but the rotten disappointment for what should have been a lovely fun time. The contrast in the reviews of the service from this place is quite frightening. some people seem to have a great time whereas others are just getting ripped off.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank JFW5657
Liz H, Owner at The Kandy Factory, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
We are deeply sorry for the experience you had in February and can not apologise enough for the disappointment this clearly caused. The person responsible has now left the business and we have new processes in place to hopefully ensure this never happens again.

If you would be prepared to give us a second chance after all this time, we would really appreciate the opportunity to make it up to you and welcome you properly in our new premises. Please contact me directly on Kandyfactory7@gmail.com if this would be possible.
Liz Horsey - Joint owner
Derby, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Really not suitable for purpose, dirty and smelly.....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

I purchased a groupon deal for £19! for two for a 2 hour workshop, glasses of valentines punch, making chocolate treats to take home... ok so not clear what age this is aimed at, so I ring up and ask. 'It'll be absolutely fine for teenagers, I am told, we can make the package suitable for all'....well, first of all the place stinks! not sure what of but certainly not a good smell, the place is dirty, smeared chocolate everywhere, staff with dirty nails and just a general impression of 'not clean'. We are seated and my teenagers are spoken to like 3 year olds, talk about embarrassing! They were told to sanitise their hands and pop on a hairnet(ultimate no,no for a teenager) which staff didn't have on anyway. They were then told in a very patronising way, to go and sit at the table and I'll bring you some chocolate treats. They were given a dirty tray with grubby moulds for their melted chocolate. I have to say the chocolate wasn't too bad, however the cake pops arrived for us to cover in chocolate and they looked grim, one even had a hair on it! My daughter pulled it out of the cake pop in front of the owner, and she never batted an eyelid!! We did see the funny side at the time as we didn't want to further embarrass the teenagers. They spent the next 10 minutes decorating their chocolate creations, with 'recycled' 'cheap' cereals and sweets. All in all, very cheap and nasty, definitely not suitable for teens. After being given a paper bag to decorate with felt tip pens, we quickly loaded our bags and left...quickly, like within half an hour! oh.. We never were offered valentine punch (i dread to think what that was a mixture of!) however we were offered drinks, I had tea (best part of the visit) and cola for the teens, this was as flat as it could be...really not a good experience overall. So £19, for half an hour of embarrassing, dirty, disappointing fun!! All the chocolate was chucked into the nearest bin after we left...I couldn't allow them to eat recycled sweets and hairy cake pops now could I?.....

Visited February 2014
4 Thank nanarrr
Liz H, Owner at The Kandy Factory, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Thank you for your feedback from the visit earlier this year. Clearly this is very disappointing for both yourselves and us.

We have recently moved into brand new premises and would welcome the opportunity to demonstrate both the improvements made and the fun that can be had for all ages.

Please contact me directly on Kandyfactory7@gmail.com if you would like to arrange this.
kind regards
Liz
Swadlincote, England
“cant believe what im reading...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

I have been to the kandy factory a few times with both the childminded kids I look after and with my own children.

The ages range from 1-11 and I have to say we have always found the staff brilliant, attentive and clean! The place its self is clean and none of the children I have taken have been dissatisfied with anything they have had to drink or make.

I have over my visits noticed some small changes that show they addressed certain things like the wait during the cooling period and children are now given colouring pens and pictures to enter competitions to keep them occupied.

Every new business has to find thier feet and I think that the kandy factory will do and will be around for along time...

Visited November 2013
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Half term treat.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Visited the kandy factory yesterday with my Grandaughters, 8 yrs and 2 yrs they both loved it and enjoyed the time there.. we were in and out in an hour,half term offer £5.95 each child, i asked how much it would be without the offer i was told about £12, me personaly i wouldnt pay that so i would only take the girls when the offer is on. All a bit rushed for me but the girls enjoyed it.. Had to return my coffee was like sludge, added more milk and was cold, they refunded no problem, next time will have tea. Good luck i hope it takes off for you.