“Nice refurb but average food”

Land & Sea Steak & Seafood Restaurant
Cuisines: Seafood, British, Steakhouse
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Derby, United Kingdom
“Nice refurb but average food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

A brave venture to take on give that this property has consistently failed as a restaurant.
Land and sea is it's latest carnation and could be good.
The place has a take away chop shop at the front which feels strange. The main restaurant is really nice and the staff were good.
The menu has lots of fresh fish on it but not much else so I struggled to choose. The good was fine but it did not suit the surroundings. It was a bit basic like it had come from a chip shop not a restaurant. Hopefully they will find their feet and I wish them well.

East Staffs.
“Good food but poor service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

I visited Land and Sea with a number of work colleagues for a team meal out as none of us had been before and thought the menu looked interesting. As the name suggests it offers a selection of meat-based dishes and fish-based dishes, however rather strangely there is no surf & turf option?!

The interior of the restaurant is fairly minimalist and quite stark, very gentle 80s pop reggae hits on a loop playing in the background.

We all arrived at the time we had booked and we had also ordered our food a few days beforehand so expected prompt service. The waiting staff were polite throughout the meal although they did ask everyone what veg and potatoes we wanted with each meal which was strange as we had already told them, but no matter. The food eventually started arriving around 40 minutes after we had been seated, in between times there was a small amount of bread and butter provided.

I must say the food when it did arrive was very good. I had the seared loin of tuna with potato cake and seasonal veg. The tuna was perfectly cooked and it was a very decent portion. The potato cake was very tasty and seasoned well, however the veg (mangetout, carrots & red cabbage) could have been hotter and were not seasoned.

We had a wide selection of dishes between us and everyone seemed happy with their meals. There was however an issue with the bill in that the prices of each meal appeared to have risen since we had chosen from the menu. Curiously there are no menus on any tables or visible anywhere in the restaurant and when I tried to check on their Facebook page it had been removed. The restaurant's website does not have an evening menu on it despite there being ones for breakfast and lunch. The bill was queried and after discussion the total was reduced to the correct amount.

Overall I would recommend the food, however I feel the service seemed rather disorganised and let the experience down somewhat.

• Visited November 2013
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
“Great Food - Couple Of Minor Niggles”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

The restaurant itself is modern and well decorated. Although we weren't seated in one I'm a big fan of 'booths' and there were a handful lining the window. The colour changing lightling was definitely a nice touch.

It was quiet as it was 6.30pm on a Wednesday but there seemed to be a lot of staff for the amount of customers?

We had ordered our food during the day, which we thought would help being as there were 13 of us, but we still waited until just after 7 for food. I'm not sure whether this was just the pure volume of meals they needed to deliver?

I had the chicken and it was cooked to perfection, I didn't choose to have a sauce and it actually didn't need one. It was lovely and one of the best Ive had. The other meals looked well prepared and the general feedback was that the meals were enjoyed. I'm not sure if they ran out of chips however. Most meals with chips had a few handcooked chips whereas the last 4 meals had chip shop chips which were presumably from next door?

There was a bit of a discussion around the bill as we had used a menu that was available online. Unfortunately these were not the current prices but this was sorted quickly.
The price seemed a little much for mine as I had 2 chicken breasts and chips which cost £9.95 in the end but I was happy to pay that for how nice it was and the fact it was fresh.

All in all it was a nice meal and enjoyed by all. I would probably recommend it more for people who enjoy their seafood as it seemed to better cater for this.

Odd however that the restaurant is called 'Land & Sea' yet they do not offer a surf and turf type option on their menu too?

• Visited November 2013
“Splendid”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

Really nice restaurant, tastefully decorated to a very high standard. Staff very attentive, nothing was too much trouble. Delicious and plentiful meals. Will be returning very soon, and am also keen to try the breakfast menu.

• Visited October 2013
derby
“Excellent food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

We had our first meal at Land and Sea last night, the food was excellent, lovely homemade tartare sauce, none of the stuff in a little packet. My husband said the mushy peas were like his mum used to make. The staff were very attentive. I can highly recommend this restaurant and we will go back there soon.
G Mellows