“Good value stay, lovely staff”

The Grail Court Hotel
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Burton upon Trent
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Stayed at the Grail after recommendation from family member. Bedroom spacious and quiet, bathroom huge and stunning, like a 5 star hotel's bathroom.

Yes, as per other reviews, the short corridor to the bedrooms does need redecorating but who really cares when the bedroom is comfy, the bathroom superb and the public areas nice - and at the end of the day it was only £30 each for bed and a full cooked breakfast.

Plenty of free parking spaces immediately at the back of the hotel (and across the road at Sainsbury's / The Brewhouse centre).

We had dinner in the hotel's restaurant. Food was good, well priced and the young waiter was excellent. Responded quickly and politely to a problem with one meal, which was rectified immediately. Good lad.

Excellent value, will definitely be back next time I'm going to a gig at the Brewhouse in Burton. Also want to say thanks to Brian the owner. What a great chap, so friendly and chatty.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Grail Court Hotel

Reviewed 9 July 2013

We stayed at this hotel when attending a wedding at the national brewery centre. The hotel is a stones through away and has a car park, so great if you want to have a drink and walk back from the brewery. The medieval theme is really unusual and consistent in the hotel. the room was basic, but clean and had everything we needed. We had booked a double, but had been given a family room, which we appreciated as I was very heavily pregnant and it meant that on a very hot night my husband and I had some space from each other!!

Customer service made this hotel stand out for us. The staff were so knowledgable and offered us maps of local sites of interest and chatted to us about the history of the area. Very friendly staff went above and beyond to check on my comfort.

The hotel is very close to the high street, so great for facilities including restaurants and cinema, but downside of some noise from the street during the night.

Breakfast was lovely. self service for cereal, toast, juice, coffee etc, but staff still checked we were ok and offer us tea and coffee etc. Cooked breakfast was cooked to order and delivered quickly and was very nice.

On the evening we stayed there was a sort of ghost hunt going on, and I had read stories of the hotel being haunted and I must admit this did freak me out a bit, but I'm a coward! Those on the "hunt" didn't disturb us in any way, but it made me worry and during the night loo trips had to be done with all the lights on (much to my husbands dismay!)

Thanks for a lovely stay!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Heavenly_chic
Reviewed 3 June 2013 via mobile

Booked last minute as an overnight stay. If we had stayed at a swanky hotel chain, we would have missed out on the superb service, as the staff certainly go the extra mile. Its always a good sign when local people eat and drink in an hotel. Some comments on here about tired decor. If you want new, sparkly clean and shiny, then dont pick an historic character hotel! !!
Great breakfast too :-) Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank RosieW66
Reviewed 2 June 2013 via mobile

My wife booked this hotel as a birthday suprise as it was 10 minuite walk to the local brewery which we visited on a short stay. This hotel is very freindly and would go out of there way to help you. Brian who looked after us is a top guy and helped us 100%. He gave us loads of places to visit even gave us a map to guide us. He made us a top breakfast before we left . We are planning to go back at end of june and will be staying there again. Looking forward to it..well done brian . You a credit to the hotel..

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank JOHN C
Reviewed 20 May 2013

For my Mums Birthday Treat this year we had arranged for me to take her to The Grail Court Hotel for a Birthday Meal. It was just the two of us. None of us had ever been before and I knew that my Mum had always wanted to go there, hense why I picked this location to wine and dine her.

As it was a Monday night the restaurant was fairly quiet. A pleasant young man whose name was Mitchell was serving at the bar. He was polite, efficient and very helpful. We could pick where we sat so we chose a quiet corner. Both of us loved the decor. It's beautiful and very authentic!!!!

I'd popped in beforehand for a menu so we had an idea what we wanted. The meals were good value and most were two for £10. The chap soon came over and took our orders. Being a vegetarian I ordered the vegetarian lasagne that came with chips and garlic bread and Mum ordered the Cottage pie which came with chips, peas and a jug of gravy. Within five minutes the guy came to tell me the vegetable lasagne they had wasn't suitable to serve up. This was fine as they had another vegetarian option which was a veggie burger and chips with salad. I also ordered the Combo side dish which was onion rings and garlic mushrooms. When the meals came they were really hot and delicious. The chips tasted just like home made chips. I had been given a double veggie burger as I couldn't have the first thing I ordered.There was no combo so I had to remind the guy who apologised and sorted it for me. When that came it was a really good portion which I assume was extra generous as I had had to wait for it which I didn't mind at all. The meal was very filling and the salad was lovely.

Always with room for dessert I was definitely planning on having a dessert and I twisted Mums arm to have one. The young lad came over to ask if we wanted dessert and I asked him if the desserts that took my fancy ( either the Jam roly poly or Apple Pie) were vegetarian and he went and found out for me and returned a few minutes later to tell me they were. I went for the Roly Poly and Mum had ice cream Sundae. They came pretty quickly. With my Roly Poly you had the choice of custard or cream and its comes in a little jug. They certainly take pride in presentation here and the food is nicely laid out.

I later discovered that the Chef's name was Brian and he had come out to apologise about the lasagne and say he had given me an extra burger because as mentioned before I couldn't have the dish I ordered in the first place.

One last drink finished us off at the Grail before we headed home. I'd like to say I really loved it, as did my Mum and we had a lovely night.

I asked my Mum what she'd rate it out of 10. She said 9 as the restaurant was missing a bit of authentic background music and all you could hear was the TV. It didn't bother me at all but I felt a bit of music in the background would have been nice. Due to our successful visit I have changed the venue of my own Birthday Meal to eat here in a few months time and I hope they have the music

All in all I'd definitely recommend it and I should give it a try

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 April 2013

My stay here was by far the best experience i have had in Burton on Trent. We had room 11 and the carpet was fine, we also used room 14 and that was a fantastic room. Food, Excellent. Price, good value. Staff, some of the best, will do everything they can to accommodate, even let us come down for breakfast half an hour early as we had to be out of the hotel early to get ready for a wedding! Would stay again. Would recommend to any of my friends! Thank you

Room Tip: rooms 11, 14, 15, 23, ive stopped in all of these and they are all superb, not too sure about the re...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dave u
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Just had a weekend at this hotel whilst visiting my daughter and was very happy with my choice. Brian and the staff were very helpful and polite and the room was comfy and clean. The bar closes early but they are quite happy to stay open for you if you are in there.No complaints.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo