“Rude, inflexible and run to suit the needs of the staff not the customers. Not relaxing and not value for money”

Spa at Hoar Cross Hall
More attraction details
Owner description: We’re the experts at making people feel good and we’ve designed eden day spas to totally relax and indulge you.As you wind through the beautiful Staffordshire countryside you’ll get a sense of the peaceful tranquility that surrounds Eden Spa. By the time you get to the door, you will be in the perfect frame of mind to start relaxing and enjoying your day of total indulgence with us.
Reviewed 10 February 2010

I went to Eden Day Spa for a supposedly relaxing day with a group of colleagues. I arrived relaxed and became more stressed as the morning wore on. I found the staff rude and unhelpful. Terse at best. They told me I had to go for lunch at 12.00 and so could not do the one class I really wanted to do. (despite the fact that lunch sittings run from 12.00 to 1.30 so I could have arrived at 12.45). This became "my problem" rather than something they were pleased to accomodate or sort out for me. ( and I ended up speaking to 3 different people about it wasting half my morning). They were similarly unhelpful with 5 of my friends, except they expected me to mediate and tell them what they couldn't do. When my friends arrived late for lunch they were told they were too late to order. They did eat but the whole experience was stressful.
Furthermore the food was not freshly cooked and was mediocre to say the least. I had a hot buffett and it was Luke warm and soggy. Had probably been standing for hours. I have better food at the hospital canteen where I work.
If you wish to spend a day at a spa run ike a 1950s holiday camp with no flexibility and rude staff this is the place.

Eden Day Spa needs to sort out its customer services and the attitudes of staff. I am local and would use it a lot but certainly don't feel I can recommend it now.

PS For less than the cost of one day here you can have a month at esporta with the same facilities, lots of free classes and treatments that cost half the price.

3  Thank rbbarry
in 12 reviews
"gown"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 26 January 2010

This was supposed to be a relaxation day!!! A birthday gift I would be ashamed to tell the person who bought it me the truth!!! First time at the day spa after many visits to hoar cross hall. Well where to start... from start to finish I have never come across such miserable and unhelpful staff in a very long time. I agree with a previous review- the guests seem to be the last people on their minds. Grab your money and get rid of you was the feeling I got. Ridiculous meal times, no treatment availability, no magazines to buy or borrow( a book by Mr Joynes on how he made his millions was available if that desperate)!!! A real shame.... the most stressful day Ive had in a while!!!! DONT GO THERE

3  Thank girl1969
Reviewed 10 November 2009

Had a fab relaxing day at hoar cross eden day spa, on sat 7th nov. My two daughters sister in law my friend & myself, Our lunch (3 course ) was very nice, The new snooze room is lovely and relaxing and the relaxing room upstairs is just as nice this has lovely views of outside onto the garden, really nice & peaceful, the pool area has lots of loungers and water features ie: water foot massages etc. But i think the hardest thing i did on our day was breath, but it can be energetic if thats what you like, i chose to just relax & have a facial that was also very nice & relaxing as you can see that was what i went for...do nothing but chill out, and as they say a day is all it takes, we will return...soooon

Reviewed 11 August 2008

just back from another fab visit to eden hall day spa at hoar cross hall. Facilities all still top notch in the day spa section, however the residential (hoar cross) facilities I have to say are started to look jaded, and do need quite some investment. The day spa still looks brand new, with some fab water treatments inc foot massage pools, plunge pool, jacuzzi's, feature showers, steam room, heated loungers, swimming pool, saunas to name but a few. Also worth noting at eden day spa, a new snooze lounge, which is a gorgeous lounge with massaging armchairs, and light displays etc, very nice. Treatments still brill, I had full body deep tissue massage and skin specific facial. Lunch again top notch, choice of starters, mains and pudds all locally sourced and abs divine. I had staffordshire cheddar tarte, yoxall chicken sausages and fresh fruit salad. Will be back to Eden Day Spa v soon!

See more reviews
Reviewed 22 February 2008

We have been visiting Haor Cross Hall as day guests since it opened about 15 years ago. The first few years were great, it's convenient for us all to get to, the Hall is lovely and the grounds are great for a stroll after lunch. Our only complaint was the swimming pool did not get any natural light.

Gradually over the past few years the service seems to have grown worse and yesterday's visit to Eden Hall has almost convinced us to never go again. From start to finish we felt we had to fit in around staff schedules, from our lunch reservations at 11.30 - who in the name of Gucci eats lunch at 11.30? When we changed our time we were told that 'some-one has to be first'. I would think all of the day guests could have been accomodated in two sittings in the large restaurant so I guess the early start was for the convenience of the chef, so cooking was staggered. To be honest the food was OK but looked as if it had all been prepared way before it was served and none of the plates were even warm, never mind hot.

The facilities are extensive but how can so much money and effort have been put into building a spa aimed at relaxation and enjoyment have so little natural light. Unless you physically go out of the building into the grounds you do not see anything approaching a nice view. The hall is in beautiful grounds but there is not one place in the day spa where you would know that. You could have been in the middle of an M1 service station for all the natural light that was allowed into the building,

We did a yoga class for 90minutes and the teacher was as usual fantastic. However the room was dire, again there wasn;t a window in the place and the designers seem to think covering all the walls with mirrors would somehow help the situation, it doesn't. It's also hard to relax when you can hear the bump and grind of the music from the next door exercise class. Maybe more sound insulation would have been a good idea. Even the pool does not have any windows, there are several sky lights but they seem to have some sort of opaque glass as it wasn't possible to see the sky.

All over the spa there are signs advising, warning, telling, there is not one sign in the whole place thanking us for handing over a wodge of our hard earned cash and wishing us a pleasant stay. I ws sitting by the pool and as I had finished reading my magazine and was waiting for the jacuzzi to start up I counted 57 signs and that was without leaving my lounger!!!

I think that Mr Joyner has actually fallen into the trap of being a victim of his own success. There was every opportunity to make the day spa into one of the most fabulous in the country, it was being built from scratch, there was unlimited land in a fantastic setting, and seemingly unlimited money, so how they finished up with what could be a Travel Lodge in Sutton Coldfield is beyond my understanding. Years ago the staff were friendly, chatty and so keen to help you have a good day, yesterday I actually felt in the way on several occasions.

Overall we were really disappointed at how Hoar Cross Hall and it's spin off Eden Hall has gone down hill over the last 10 years and I think it will be quite a while before we return. We used to visit 4 or 5 times a year, but since 2005 have only been 3 times which is an indication in itself that's things ain't what they used to be.

Last word, we went to the Eden Hall Day Spa near Newark in 2006 and it was fabulous, it's just a much longer journey for us.

6  Thank Amanda64