“Changes, yes....most for the better...we will return!”

Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hoar Cross
Reviewed 23 February 2013

We stayed at Hoar Cross Hall over half term on a 1 night/2 day New Year Pacakge. This was our 7th visit at this wonderful place! We are 4 working mums with busy lives and look forward to our annual spa break every year. We stayed in the Louisa Suite (room 230) which is a quad room.

The booking process wasnt good. We actually altered our pacakge (when we realised we couldn't arrive until 2pm, previously we would arrive at 9am) so we changed it to allow us to arrive at 11am and this also gave us a 40 minute complimentary treatment. Many people we spoke to found the arrival time change to be a bad one - having 2 full days is a real bonus. No notification was sent regarding our change in package and had to be chased up.

Checking in was excellent. The receptionist was cheerful and chatty and very professional. Complimentary tea and coffee has now been moved to what was the Quiet Room. This room got very busy (and messy) and cups/milk etc ran out which we had to point out to staff. However 2 members of staff quickly came and removed cups and restocked. I do believe the staff are stretched in many areas.

The pool areas were lovely but very busy and it was a struggle to get a lounger. We sat for 45 minutes and 6 beds opposite us remained unused but had towels/robes left on them. Very selfish of guests we felt. This needs monitoring by staff.

At 2pm we went to collect our key but our room wasn't ready. We were told to come back at 2.15pm but the room still wasn't ready. This meant we were hanging around waiting. At 2.45pm we were given the keys but when we got to the room staff were still cleaning it and didn;t finish until 3.30pm. We were not happy about this at all. we waited 1 and a half hours for it to be cleaned. Again, staff are stretched. There is just not enough maids to clean all the rooms.

The room however was lovely. New quilts have been added and flat screen TV's. Had a great nights sleep.

We all had treatments which were good. Staff are professional and we all felt relaxed.

We had a wonderful evening meal and feel that the changes made in the restaurants are excellent. The food at dinner was delicious, probably the best we have ever had. The staff were really good and we had a laugh and a joke with them. They do ask whether you want bottled water (at an extra charge) but we just asked for tap water which wasn't a problem. Breakfast and lunch in the Oasis restaurant were also improved. The decor has been altered and is much fresher and contemporary.

We went to a Pilates class held by Dean and it was good, we also used the gym - again good facilities with staff there if needed.

The Slumber Lounge has lost the big vibrating chairs, which we felt was a pity. The new ones look cheap and are very noisy. We also felt it was quite cool in there. But still a lovely area to relax. The changing room floors have been tiled which makes the area much fresher! We all love the fact that the carpets are slightly worn as it adds to the character of the place. None of us felt that the decor/furnishings were shabby.

Check out was a pain. We wanted to divide wine and other things on our bills up but the new system doesn't allow this so we spent 30 minutes with a very paitient member of staff working out our individual bills (thank you Joy you're a star!) This is something that needs addressing. Computer systems should allow you do this surely!

So, we have noticed changes this year, many for the better but some need re-thinking. Checking in at 2pm doesn't really give you 2 days only actually 28 hours! We will certainly return next year as it is good value when comparing it to other spa's. We always feel sad to leave and every year we talk about staying for 2 nights!!

I wonder whether Hoar Cross Hall management have actually asked any repeat visitors their thoughts on the changes they are making? I hope so as the customer is, after all the most important part of Hoar Cross Hall!!

1  Thank louby41
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2013

Dear louby41

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We are so glad that you liked your quad room and the new quilts and TVs. The massage chairs in the Slumber lounge have been removed as the Italian company who supply them are no longer trading and parts are unavailable.
We are in negotiation with our new software company with regards to bill amendments and hope this will be rectified soon.

We are very glad to hear that you will be returning to us. Please check our website for special offers.

Kind Regards.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,338)

Reviewed 22 February 2013

I came here with a friend who has visited several times before. The spa and pool area were lovely. Very tranquil and relaxing! The food was gorgeous. Very good quality with lots of choice. We had been upgraded to a room with an outdoor hot tub. This was wonderful - a pity we had to go and have our evening meal! Very good value for money and although neither of us had any treatments we still found the time went too quickly! I hope to visit again soon.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Dear harveyswalsall_UK

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We are pleased that your first time with us was so enjoyable, and we look foward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 22 February 2013

This has been my 6th year at Hoar Cross Hall not Eden Day Spa. In addition this has been my mum's 12th year. We have never experienced a poor over night stay but we did feel the decor was slightly shabby on our last visit in 2012. However, my father booked our most recent visit booking our 'usual' package. A 1 night stay, complimentary treatment, x2 lunch, a dinner and a breakfast. This was a superb package. However, my dad was not informed during his phone call that the packages had changed which led him to booking us the same package but it now only includes one complimentary lunch and no treatment. This was very disappointing to find out which led us to feel the package was over priced. We couldn't book a treatment as fully booked (understandable as it was half-term) so we spent 2 days without a treatment (However they are fantastic and the therapists are lovely so I would recommend the treatments even though we couldn't have one this year). We didn't receive any written confirmation by post so feel communication could be improved, and a leaflet/booklet would have been nice to inform us of recent changes to packages especially as we are returning,loyal customers.

Now Hoar Cross has been 're-branded' I definitely believe that it is a working progress and I have faith the standards will improve! We had a fantastic 3 course meal, our waiter was attentive and restaurant manager looked very supportive of staff. Food was beautiful with a variety of choice and we ate in a lovely ballroom with a calm atmosphere. Lunch was fantastic with a great selection of hot and cold food.

Our room, which slept 3 people, was beautiful. Could not have asked for better and was suitable for our every need. Plasma TVs, 2 bathrooms, walk in cupboard! Best room we have stayed in so far :-)

Now there isn't a divide between residential and day visitor facilities, we have noticed a difference and feel residential guests are at a disadvantage. But again, personal choice/opinion. The new dressing gowns aren't as nice as the old, lovely cream ones! But I am being picky.

Definitely returning next year - not giving up on HCH! Worth a visit and strongly recommend the over night stay to get the best experience. Perfect location with no phone signal - best way to relax!Excited to see the changes ahead - hopefully for the better.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear SJP_2013

Thank you for atking the time to write a review. We apologise that the reservations team did not explain the new package changes. We have reduced the price to reflect the non-inclusive treatment rate. However packages that include treatments can be found on our website as special offers.

Glad you enjoyed one of our new additions - the plasma TVs.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 22 February 2013

Generally had a great time here but felt it relied greatly on the staff, they seemed to be either brilliant or terrible. For example, over two days we did the same activities and enjoyed them all with one instructor but not with the other. Some waiting staff were incredible (mostly at dinner), others made us feel like we'd caused a huge inconvinience by ordering an orange juice at lunch. We were even asked to pay with the correct change.

My only other issues were the fact that people 'saved' seats by pools by leaving their towels on them. I perched on the end of my mother's seat for over an hour and ended up counting that during that time 18 seats werecovered with people's towels/books but were not used at all. I think there should be some policy for this, and maybe a policy for how long it is appropriate to stay in the jacuzzi as many groups would try and keep it to themselves for hours.

The highlight was my treatment, as well as the activites, I had a facial and head an shoulder massage from Polly who was brilliant and I believe deserves credit.

The facilities were excellent but hard to find and it wasn't made clear what was available to use/weher it was etc. A brochure/map would help on arrival immensely.

Dinner was exceptional. Very very few issues with the food itself. Huge shame the wine list is so unvaried, every white wine had 'tropical notes' or was chardonnay, except one whihc was sadly only by the bottle! The cocktails were also mostly made wrong, so I do believe that the drinks list needs seriosuly revising. Although maybe I picked up on this only because I am in the industry. On that note there was a huge disappointed for me as the website boasts of artisan cheeses... There were none.

Overall brilliant and will be back but just minor issues with service/need of map or induction/produce.

Dear Rebecca R,

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall. We are still in the process of training staff within certain areas, however customer service is always important to us.
There are signs up within the pool area asking customers not to reserve the loungers with their properties, however this at times is not adhered too.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Regards.

Reviewed 21 February 2013

Oh my god what a load of moaners you get on here! No free coffee in the coffee shop? pay £1.80 if you want to sit in there, which is a lot less than you'd pay in Costa, or get off your bum and walk to the room where the free coffee is still on offer!

We stayed just for one night and had 2 days chilling out and using the spa facilities. Everywhere was spotlessly clean, heated comfortably throughout and our room was lovely as usual. Tea, hot choc, coffee and biscuits in the room and beds lovely and comfy.

The Eden Day Spa merged a few months ago with Hoar Cross Hall, and you get the best of both worlds when staying over. Excellent facilities, see their website for full details http://www.hoarcross.co.uk/

Food in the restaurants was first class, and it is so lovely to eat there in the evening while the piano is being played. Wonderful atmosphere.

The place was very busy, and on more than one occasion we have seen famous faces there. Normally we ignore them as they are there to chill and get away from the limelight.

Today we encountered a lady TV personality with an infectious laugh who spoke to us in the changing room. So cross with myself for not telling her she looked fabulous and twenty years younger than when I last saw her on TV in the eighties!

If that's what being a regular at Hoar Cross Hall does for you, I will definitely be back for more!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2013

Dear Sanbria

Thank you for taking your time to write your review.

We are thrilled to see that you have highlighted so many positives about Hoar Cross Hall and that you plan to return again in the future...we look forward to seeing you when you do

Kind Regards

Reviewed 20 February 2013

Have stayed several times over last 8 years or so, last visit was in December 2012. There is a notable difference in the service, attention to detail and customer care since I last stayed here, I understand that the original founder has passed the management onto his son so perhaps that explains it. Organisation was very poor (pre-bookings were lost), Treatments in the spa were cut short and very noisy room. Did give feedback on check out but heard nothing back...still waiting... Leaves me with the impression that Hoar Cross has had its day - there are better options out there if you're looking to for a luxury spa hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jo C

Dear Jo C,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. All feedback is always welcome. I have passed on your comments to the Management departments involved, and they will be taking appropriate action where necessary.
Customer service is important to us and we apologise for any dissapointment.

Reviewed 19 February 2013 via mobile

I visited Hoar Cross Hall for a one night break at the weekend and came away with very mixed feelings about the place. On the positive side, the grounds are lovely and we were very lucky to have such nice weather to get outside and explore. Dinner was absolutely superb, excellent range of choices and I would say that the waiting staff were the best we encountered during our stay. They seemed genuinely dedicated to looking after their guests and ensuring your evening was as pleasant as possible.

There is a good range of wet facilities in the spa area including several steam rooms, saunas and detox features, including the icy cold kneipp pebble pool which was really invigorating! Although busy, there were plenty of places inside and outside the hall to find a spot of tranquility and quiet if you wanted to. The hall itself is a magnificent building and it was an experience in itself to stay somewhere so atmospheric and with such a story to tell.

There are issues here though. Other spas I have visited make a concerted effort to welcome you, show you around, provide a complementary drink on arrival etc. We were left to stand at an unattended desk before receiving perfunctory service. I reported that an adjoining door to the next room had been left open (and yes, there was somebody in the next room). Despite being told this would be sorted, it wasn't for the duration of my stay. We were also left waiting on check out for our luggage for almost fifteen minutes (we were the only people waiting at the time). There seemed to be a distinct lack of staff around during our stay; towels were running out and not being replenished quickly enough. The poor lady working on her own in the Oasis cafe was run off her feet trying to make lunches, clear tables and serve. Again we were left to stand for over 10 minutes waiting to be served. The member of staff was so apologetic  but clearly had too many tasks to accomplish by herself.

I feel that Hoar Cross Hall could be a really fantastic spa with a few more staff, smiles and a greater commitment to providing excellent service for their guests. The evening restaurant staff are already there. Maybe a leaf should be taken from their book. Providing a map and some information for guests on check in (such as classes and times) would also really help. Finally, seeking the views of guests through feedback would assist the managers of the resort to improve key areas which seem to keep coming up in a significant number of reviews here. Even asking your guests if they enjoyed their stay would be a start.

All in all I would be prepared to return at some point in the future to see if things have improved. A spa break is something I save up for and I want to come away feeling great about the whole experience. Sadly I didn't on this occasion.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank Reachforthesky
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review Hoar Cross Hall.

I can only apologise for the service you received on arrival. This is certainly not the standard we expect for our guests. I would like to assure you that the issues you have raised will be looked into and we do hope that you will return in the near future and see that positive changes have been made where needed.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoar Cross
Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court
Boars Head Hotel
Boars Head Hotel
#1 of 1 in Draycott in the Clay

Been to Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!