We stayed at Hoar Cross Hall over half term on a 1 night/2 day New Year Pacakge. This was our 7th visit at this wonderful place! We are 4 working mums with busy lives and look forward to our annual spa break every year. We stayed in the Louisa Suite (room 230) which is a quad room.
The booking process wasnt good. We actually altered our pacakge (when we realised we couldn't arrive until 2pm, previously we would arrive at 9am) so we changed it to allow us to arrive at 11am and this also gave us a 40 minute complimentary treatment. Many people we spoke to found the arrival time change to be a bad one - having 2 full days is a real bonus. No notification was sent regarding our change in package and had to be chased up.
Checking in was excellent. The receptionist was cheerful and chatty and very professional. Complimentary tea and coffee has now been moved to what was the Quiet Room. This room got very busy (and messy) and cups/milk etc ran out which we had to point out to staff. However 2 members of staff quickly came and removed cups and restocked. I do believe the staff are stretched in many areas.
The pool areas were lovely but very busy and it was a struggle to get a lounger. We sat for 45 minutes and 6 beds opposite us remained unused but had towels/robes left on them. Very selfish of guests we felt. This needs monitoring by staff.
At 2pm we went to collect our key but our room wasn't ready. We were told to come back at 2.15pm but the room still wasn't ready. This meant we were hanging around waiting. At 2.45pm we were given the keys but when we got to the room staff were still cleaning it and didn;t finish until 3.30pm. We were not happy about this at all. we waited 1 and a half hours for it to be cleaned. Again, staff are stretched. There is just not enough maids to clean all the rooms.
The room however was lovely. New quilts have been added and flat screen TV's. Had a great nights sleep.
We all had treatments which were good. Staff are professional and we all felt relaxed.
We had a wonderful evening meal and feel that the changes made in the restaurants are excellent. The food at dinner was delicious, probably the best we have ever had. The staff were really good and we had a laugh and a joke with them. They do ask whether you want bottled water (at an extra charge) but we just asked for tap water which wasn't a problem. Breakfast and lunch in the Oasis restaurant were also improved. The decor has been altered and is much fresher and contemporary.
We went to a Pilates class held by Dean and it was good, we also used the gym - again good facilities with staff there if needed.
The Slumber Lounge has lost the big vibrating chairs, which we felt was a pity. The new ones look cheap and are very noisy. We also felt it was quite cool in there. But still a lovely area to relax. The changing room floors have been tiled which makes the area much fresher! We all love the fact that the carpets are slightly worn as it adds to the character of the place. None of us felt that the decor/furnishings were shabby.
Check out was a pain. We wanted to divide wine and other things on our bills up but the new system doesn't allow this so we spent 30 minutes with a very paitient member of staff working out our individual bills (thank you Joy you're a star!) This is something that needs addressing. Computer systems should allow you do this surely!
So, we have noticed changes this year, many for the better but some need re-thinking. Checking in at 2pm doesn't really give you 2 days only actually 28 hours! We will certainly return next year as it is good value when comparing it to other spa's. We always feel sad to leave and every year we talk about staying for 2 nights!!
I wonder whether Hoar Cross Hall management have actually asked any repeat visitors their thoughts on the changes they are making? I hope so as the customer is, after all the most important part of Hoar Cross Hall!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are a beautifully restored Grade II listed building. We Combine the pleasures of staying in an elegant English Stately Home with the facilities of a modern luxury spa resort, you'll be able to enjoy superb surroundings, fine dining and beautiful bedrooms suites and penthouses. Hidden away in 80 acres of English countryside, the spacious grounds have lakes and wildlife in abundance. Make use of the Tennis Courts, Golf course Practice Area & Driving range. We offer a variety of mouth-watering dishes and a host of therapies to wash away the stresses of everyday life. Treat yourself to a coffee or a slice of cake in the Oasis Cafe. We pride ourselves on our outstanding hospitality, so relax and let our dedicated staff take care of you. Winner of England's Leading Resort at the World Travel Awards for 7 consecutive years. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Expedia, Evoline ltd, Hotels.com, Ebookers and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hoar Cross Hall Health Hotel Hoar Cross
- Hoar Cross Hall Health Resort
- Cross Hall Hoar
- Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel Staffordshire