“So disappointed on our return”

Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hoar Cross
Derby, United Kingdom
“So disappointed on our return”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

This was our second visit to Hoar cross and felt sad that the whole hotel/spa has
fallen into a poor to average review from a first class review 2 years ago.

The positive

The staff were all friendly and helpful, hence the three stars instead of 1
The food was in the main of good quality if a little slow
Staff tried hard to answer and resolve issues as much as they were able.

The negative

The room whilst beautiful in its position and stature has paint coming off the ceiling, and all furniture looks tired and needs upgrading.
My main concern is the cleanliness,
Whilst in the pools I noticed what looked like worn grey tiles around the surface of the pool, to my horror it was ground in dirt/scum which could be removed with your nail double yuk. I brought it to the attention of the manager who promptly assured me that the pools were cleaned every week!!! but that he would look into it, and he reassured me that there would be people cleaning the pools that evening.
However on my visit the following day all of my nail marks from the previous day were still there triple yuk!!. Please note that I may have been the one to bring this to the managers attention but there were others in the pool who were equally bothered by this. Had the pool been competently cleaned I would never have given a negative feedback.

I don't expect this level of dirt anywhere and feel it is a health and safety issue that really should be addressed sooner rather than later.

3 Thank SAJ2158
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear SAJ2158,

Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention, I have personally been to look around the pool area and can assure you this has now been addressed, we have also had one of the Jacuzzi’s out of action for two days for a deep clean to be carried out on that also, I apologise for any inconvenience this caused.

We are planning some areas to have a make over next year which we are very much looking forward to.

I am so pleased you found the staff to be helpful and friendly, and hope you will come back to visit again soon.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

Overall we (party of three) did not feel that the day reflected the price that we paid.
• We booked over the telephone and were told to expect some postal confirmation of the reservation and information. By the 18th November, we had yet to receive anything and sent an enquiry email. Upon this request we received an email with the necessary information with no acknowledgement of the fact that we had to chase it up.
• We chose the establishment for the opportunity to try out archery. We enquired regarding this at the time of booking and were informed that this could be booked on the day. We were given the choice of morning or afternoon facials and opted for morning as this would allow for archery. However, on arrival we were informed that our facials were booked for the afternoon and at separate time slots. They did not take into consideration that we were a party of three and would expect that our facials be in the same time slot. As our facials were scheduled in the afternoon instead of the morning as requested, we were unable to take part in archery and lunch was delayed, which impacted upon High tea, which followed soon after. At no point did any member of staff try and accommodate us and we had to try to re-schedule things ourselves, without any success.
• The treatment itself was extremely disappointing. It was advertised as a ‘Hoar Cross Hall Signature cleansing facial’, we would expect at the minimum the basic components of a facial and consistency. The three of us were all booked in for a signature facial and all three had incomplete and differing facials. We left feeling that the facials were poorly done and not worth the money paid for them and were certainly not ‘heavenly’ or ‘indulgent’ as described. We have had many facials and this was by far the worst we have experienced and the most expensive.
• Lunch was lovely; however the High tea was not. Our dietary requirements were not accounted for, despite informing them by email before the day. We made sure the staff knew when we were seated for tea that we are vegetarians, but still sandwiches which contained meat were served and we had to again inform the staff that we are vegetarians. The food served at High tea again did not reflect the quality expected when paying such prices and at such an establishment.
We expected higher standards and felt the level of service and quality received was under par and we felt and believe that we were ripped off. We would not recommend this spa and certainly will not return.

5 Thank AP812013
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Dear AP812013,

Thank you for your review, it is disappointing to note your comments.

However I do feel if you had expressed your comments on the day we would have been in a better position to suitably resolve things for you.
Our aim is always to give value for money and ensure a most pleasurable visit, customer service and satisfaction is very important to us.

I note we are in separate correspondence to you and very much hope we can ensure a happy resolution.

Customer Service Manager

Travellers are raving about these Hoar Cross hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

We had a wonderful relaxing stay at the spa but one thing marred our stay when we checked in the two on the desk were chaotic and disorganised to say the least - Catheryn and Marrick were almost comedic panicking with their disorganisation and with a queue of guests trailing out of the door. Crossing our fingers the whole stay would not be like this we were fortunately extremely happy with everything having a relaxing time. Very cautious we geared ourself with extra time for checkout but with Joy it was a completely different professional and stress free experience. We wondered if the first two were perhaps work experience or had just not received the training? We will return but will call ahead to check whose on reception!

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank Travellingsussexlady
Dear TravellingSussexlady,

How kind of you to take the time to write us a review, Sorry your check in was not as smooth as it could have been.

However I am delighted to hear your stay was enjoyable and relaxing and that Joy was such a star on check out.

Stone, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

My partner and I visited the Spa yesterday, it was my first time at the Spa infact first time I have ever done anything like this!!! I totally enjoyed the day. We both had Reflexology and a pedicure which were great and the staff were lovely too. Three course lunch was superb, the staff being great again. The only very small issue I had was we had cups of tea in such beautiful surroundings but the tea was served in plain old cafe cups.... Where are the Bone china cups ?

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Bagpuss888,

Thank you for your kind words, I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your day so much and that the staff were so great.

I have taken on board your comment about the cups and will be sure to pass this on to our operations manager.

We hope to see you again soon.

kind Regards
Staffs
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

We've been before, a couple of years ago and loved it so I decided to treat my partner for his 50th Birthday last weekend. I booked a suite with an outdoor hot tub, which was by no means cheap, and we were both really looking forward to going.
Having just returned all I can say is disappointed ! The whole place is starting to look shabby & dirty. The Sofa's are thread bare, and free coffee is now only available in one room ! Come on Hoar Cross don't you think the guests are paying enough to stay to warrant free coffee in all areas ?!
The queue to check in was huge, and the welcome was not very warm !
Now onto the Spa, which was packed by the way, so there was more chance of winning the lottery than getting a bed anywhere. One of the jacuzzi's was out of action all day - unacceptable ! Some of the heated beds weren't working and the whole Spa had a feeling of neglect.
Next I'll talk about the 'suite'. This is no more a suite than I am Britney Spears !! There were stains on the carpet, and the leather armchairs looked dirty and had definitely seen better days ! A small fridge had been plonked on the floor in there ..an obvious after thought ! Also 50 percent of all the chandelier lightbulbs weren't working..this is poor and could be so easily rectified. The heated towel rail was discoloured and stained. The surfaces hadn't been wiped and still had sticky wine glass rings all over them...YUK !
The outside hot tub was over looked by 2 rooms, so you have to get used to the curtains twitching as fellow guests have a few good peaks to see what you're up to !! It looks as though there used to be a canopy over the top, but it's not there anymore so don't expect any privacy ! Also if you're only staying for one night be prepared to not get full usage out of the hot tub, as it sanitises for hours and hours and you're not allowed in !
The food was lovely though, and we enjoyed all our meals.
In a nutshell this place, in our opinion is going downhill fast and is in desperate need of some TLC. It's not a cheap place to stay and we feel there is a lot of cutting corners and penny pinching going on now. Unfortunately this visit has changed our opinion of the place and I doubt very much that we will ever return. Raise your game Hoar Cross or you'll be losing good customers like us in droves !

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank helenbrown911
Dear Helenbrown,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.

Please always ask to speak with a duty manger if there are any aspects of your room you find unacceptable and we will always try to resolve this for you whilst you are still here.

We do still offer complimentary tea/coffee and yes just in one area now, however this is unlimited and available 24 hours a day.

You are allowed in your hot tub from as soon as you get the key to your room at 2pm we do however ask guests not to use them after 11pm to be mindful of noise for other guests staying close by.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed all of your meal.

Should you wish to return please contact me directly and I will try to ensure your stay is memorable for all the right reasons.

Customer Service Manager
Stafford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

I recently spent a day at Hoar Cross Spa Resort with my sister.

We found the place grubby and tired. In the upstairs cafe the tables and sofas were very dirty and worn. There were display cabinets everywhere which were thick with dust and in the salt water pool behind the loungers the floor was thick with fluff and dust and it was obvious the loungers had not been moved for some time.

I must say however the staff were all extremely helpful when we were constantly lost due to the layout of the spa facilities. We spent most of our morning trying to find our way around.

I would also say the food and the service in the restaurant were top notch.

I enjoyed my day but won't be visiting Hoar Cross again.

1 Thank 40winks40
Dear 40Winks40,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, I am pleased to say some areas will be having a refurbishment some time next year. We are constantly working to improve all areas of the hotel and spa.

Thank you for your kind comment about the staff.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

I've stayed at a number of spas in the UK and compared to others, this is the worst. Fine if you're visiting for a day but if you're planning to stay for a few days then I'd stay away. The gym is great, the spa is great but the food is appalling. The chef has clearly no comprehension of healthy food or nutrition. Breakfast was ok, although it's hard to get that wrong. Lunch was unbelievably a full roast diinner with fruit crumble and custard with custard for desert. There was a salad bar but the salads were unimaginative and lacking in any vegetarian option and not a piece of fruit to be had. On the first night, I found just one vege option on the menu that I liked, mushroom pasta, but the pasta was so overcooked that it was like eating melted plastic (and tasted like it too). So bad, I sent it back and had cheese and biscuits instead. Dinners went downhill from there - the kitchen staff.were clearly trained at a Brewer's Fayre carvery and what they lacked in cooking skill they made up for in an even greater lack of an understanding in a nutritional, balanced diet. The manager explained that this is a spa resort, not a health spa. I'm not sure how that excuses poorly cooked food with no flavour but if you're looking to improve your health, stay away.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite with no neighbours.