“A complete waste of time!”

Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hoar Cross
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A complete waste of time!”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I made a booking for Christmas when I ran up to find out where my email was to confirm this they know nothing about my booking, tried to blame my friend for making a mistake with he booking, my friend never been rang them ever, it's now completely destroyed our chistmas as it the 7 th of December and we will be un able to get anywhere eles. They also did this to me in January when we got there they said it was for a different day and if the weren't for the email they sent me with the right date on it we would have have to go home, ( but according to them just on the fone they never send emails) I think the are all liars there no one knows the right arm from there left. Also my last stay there we asked for no smoking and and all along the corridor smelt of ciggys, was even coming thoughts our room. We also waited nearly a hour for breakfast we rang up to the room had to ring up twice to find out where it was,This place is not all it's suppose to be and if you want to avoid disappointment I would avoid this like the plague, be very aware that when you speak to anyone the havnt a clue what someone eles just told you, then try to shift the blame to anyone they think they can get away with, I had been 4 times in 3 weeks and one to 2 of the four visits we was either let down or something was wrong. I am writing this on here as I don't want anyone eles to be let down spesh over Christmas or anytime as this is not a cheap place to stay, but you get cheap quality, please read this and don't fall into the same trap I did and face the disappoint we just have. Be aware if you do get the booking you asked for once you have paid the customer service goes out of the window, all they are interested in is taking you money then if you have a issue with anything they just ain't bothered, you will be lucky if they even ring you back tbh.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Claire J
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Dear Claire J,

Thank you for your review.

We have not offered the service of online bookings for Christmas as this is such an important time of the year, we thought the personal touch of speaking to one of our fully trained reservationist would be much better service to our customers plus all the little extras we have offered with this package requires us asking very specific questions to make sure we get things perfect for everyone attending.

This has proved to be so popular we had sold out by the 7th December however Hoar Cross Hall does wish you a wonderful Christmas and happy New Year.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
cheshire
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

Booked a one night stay the winter wonderland package, facial included and mulled wine with dinner, with two lovely friends, all of us have stayed before over the years. Hoar cross is a lovely place to relax and unwind. The hall is beautiful and grand with fabulous grounds, you really feel your somewhere special. Food was good especially the evening meal. Spa facilities good, sauna, steam, hot tubs, heated beds ect. Nice gym lots of classes availible. Our room was lovely! It was a triple room with two bathrooms and a two tv's. It was large, clean and bright so fantastic! The hall looked beauiful at this time of year, all decorated for Christmas! Our stay was problem free, staff were all polite and helpful from reservations ,checkin staff, porter , waiting staff and treatment girls. Yes hoar cross is large to negotiate ,yes some areas need a refurb, yes there are not as many staff as in the past, did this effect my stay? Not at all! I wud just say if the residential pool was brought up to standard it would be wonderful, as it is looking old and tired, my only negative. Also it's good to remember that although rooms r available from 2pm you can use facilities from 11am. Bring flip flops and swim wear in a separate bag, there are lockers in all changing areas. Check out
Is 11am but again full use of the facilities r available till 6pm, so take advantage of this. Thanks again hoar cross for a wonderful stay!

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank yummymummy33Cheshire
Dear Yummymummy33,

Many thanks for you review, I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us.
Most of our triple rooms have two bathrooms, always ask when booking and they will be happy to offer this if available.

I do think your suggestion of bringing an extra bag for the changing rooms so you can use all spa facilities and classes as soon as you arrive is a great idea.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

Where to begin, we booked this as our honey moon as a we decided to treat ourselves to a luxury weekend, the service was shocking, food was ok when after what can only be described as a scene from a carry on movie unfolded for about two hours, the staff looked about 10 and no one had a clue what was going on and how to manage the situation. My partner suggested this as she came some years before yet she said that never again would she come, although when it came to paying the bill at the end the service was second to none I guess it's not just the government on cut backs

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tripster1973
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Tripster1973,

Thank you for taking the time to write us your feedback, I do apologise for any disappointment please contact me directly if you wish to discuss this further or should you wish to ever return.

I will personally ensure your visit is memorable for all the right reasons, I can assure you we do take your comments seriously.

Travellers are raving about these Hoar Cross hotels

Midlands
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Echoing the other reviewers in that I was disappointed to return to Hoar Cross and find a few niggles.
Positive -
the staff were extremely friendly and helpful
Lots to do both inside and out with great facilities
Food was excellent

Negative-
The room was needing some updating - the shower was very very loose, the small light and fan did not work in the bathroom and the curtain tie hook was hanging off the wall
Queues to check in which is not expected at any hotel
Queues for lunch - surely they know how many are booked?
Avoided the huge queue for breakfast - plenty of tables but not enough people clearing and setting up

Overall disappointed as Hoar Cross is not a cheap option - will be checking out Ragdale Hall for our next spa stay

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank McCloy
Dear McCloy,

I do apologise that not all aspects of your stay were up to our usual standard, should you wish to return please contact me directly and I will ensure your stay is memorable for all the right reasons.

Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a 2 day 1 night spa break here and have to admit it's gone downhill in 18 months since my last visit.

All we seemed to do was queue for 2 days,

Check in took ages, only 2 small groups in front of us but tok over 20 minutes of waiting before we managed to get checked in and then no one to help with our bags.

Lunch was nice but we has to ask 3 times and wait for ages for fresh items to be brought out to replace empty trays at the buffet.

Dinner was in the restaurant but again our dessert order got forgotten and we waited half an hour and asked several times also drinks took ages.

Huge queues for breakfast and that was just to wait to be seated at a table, we saw loads of empty tables but no staff to set them for ready for guests. Once we managed to get a table we couldn't even get a tea or coffee as no one came to take our order. We couldn't have toast as there was another large queue waiting for bread! we couldn't have a cooked breakfast as there was another large queue waiting for eggs, beans etc as they had also run out.

Another issue was towels, you were given 1 and then if you wanted another you had to go to the reception and ask! This is a spa so you are constantly in the pool or sauna and shower etc so you towel got wet very quickly.

We found the spa area very very busy and struggled to find anywhere to sit as there was not enough chairs for all the guests.

It was also very noisy, not very relaxing really to be honest.

The treatment was very nice however seemed like more of an opportunity to sell product at the end of it, maybe they should spend more time doing the treatment rather than discussing your prescription at the end,

Will try somewhere else next year

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Katesc111
Dear KatesC111,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, I was very concerned to read your feedback following your recent visit, please contact me directly should you wish to discuss this further.

Please be assured customer service and satisfaction is important to us.

Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We booked a one night special via Secret Escapes and found it to be great value. After a chaotic start at the reception we visited the Champagne bar and found prices to be quite reasonable compared to most hotels.
The lunch and breakfast room looks fine and the food was acceptable but it was pretty disorganized. More serving stations and staff are required for the number of people being served.
The spa facilities were good - plenty and varied - and there are 2 tennis courts, a table tennis table and games room with pool table as well as the lovely gardens for walking. Plenty to do.
Dinner was served in the main restaurant - 3 courses and pretty good and our bedrooms lived up to their luxury tag. Overall, great value for money and far more positives than negatives.
Overall

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear GaryM,

Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased you enjoyed your time with us, and explored our whole resort.

We hope you will return and perhaps you might try the archery or golf academy on your next

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2013

This was our second visit to Hoar cross and felt sad that the whole hotel/spa has
fallen into a poor to average review from a first class review 2 years ago.

The positive

The staff were all friendly and helpful, hence the three stars instead of 1
The food was in the main of good quality if a little slow
Staff tried hard to answer and resolve issues as much as they were able.

The negative

The room whilst beautiful in its position and stature has paint coming off the ceiling, and all furniture looks tired and needs upgrading.
My main concern is the cleanliness,
Whilst in the pools I noticed what looked like worn grey tiles around the surface of the pool, to my horror it was ground in dirt/scum which could be removed with your nail double yuk. I brought it to the attention of the manager who promptly assured me that the pools were cleaned every week!!! but that he would look into it, and he reassured me that there would be people cleaning the pools that evening.
However on my visit the following day all of my nail marks from the previous day were still there triple yuk!!. Please note that I may have been the one to bring this to the managers attention but there were others in the pool who were equally bothered by this. Had the pool been competently cleaned I would never have given a negative feedback.

I don't expect this level of dirt anywhere and feel it is a health and safety issue that really should be addressed sooner rather than later.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank SAJ2158
Dear SAJ2158,

Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention, I have personally been to look around the pool area and can assure you this has now been addressed, we have also had one of the Jacuzzi’s out of action for two days for a deep clean to be carried out on that also, I apologise for any inconvenience this caused.

We are planning some areas to have a make over next year which we are very much looking forward to.

I am so pleased you found the staff to be helpful and friendly, and hope you will come back to visit again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoar Cross
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
Boars Head Hotel
Boars Head Hotel
#1 of 1 in Draycott in the Clay

Been to Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!