“A Superb Valentines Weekend Getaway”

Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hoar Cross
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I booked a surprise overnight stay for myself and my partner for Valentines weekend. This was the first time either of us had been to a spa resort and we weren't left disappointed. The staff were courteous, highly efficient and very friendly throughout the duration of our stay, particularly during the evening dinner. In fact, the dinner was one of our highlights: the ballroom felt very grandiose, the food some of the best we've eaten anywhere (both here and abroad), and the atmosphere very relaxed and friendly.

We stayed in Room 229, which was one of their "Luxury Suites". It overlooked the beautiful Italian gardens, and had a very spacious and well-fitted lounge area. The room service staff had done a marvellous job of preparing the room for us (I say this because cleaning staff often get overlooked, or have a rough time on review sites such as this, so I feel the need to make my appreciation explicit).

The spa facilities were on the whole very good. Some of the facilities I must admit to not seeing the benefit of (given that myself and my partner are spa newbies): such as the Kneipp pool, and the blue circular room with jets of water which seemed too low down to be of any use. The other facilities (such as the saunas, steam rooms, Jacuzzis, swimming pool, plunge pool, saltwater pool, etc.) were much more like what I expected. All of the facilities were kept spotless and at most times there were sufficient loungers to relax on.

In terms of the breakfast, this was your standard buffet selection, albeit with very efficient and courteous service. Unfortunately due to other commitments we were unable to stay for lunch (which was included in our package) so we cannot comment on that.

The only three (very minor) downsides were that the walls of our room were paper thin - we could hear pretty much every sentence of our rather chatty neighbours, and listen to them using plug sockets right behind our heads in bed (which alarmed us the first time we encountered it!). The second is that the fan above the bed didn't work, which we could have used given the very warm temperature of the room. The third downside was the fact that all of their spa treatments (not included in the price of the package) were totally booked up with a lengthy waiting list. This was perhaps unavoidable given the last minute nature of my booking. But as I say, these are the most minor niggles in an overall fantastic stay.

Verdict: 9 / 10

It was a shame our schedules only allowed for one night's stay! I would thoroughly recommend this spa resort (and, for the record, we found no evidence of some of the cleanliness or service issues reported by previous reviews). Can't wait to book here again in the future.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lee O
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear Lee O,
Many thanks for writing us this review I am delighted you enjoyed your Valentines getaway.

As you have been so helpful and given us the room number you stayed in I can ask our maintenance team to check out the fan above the bed and get this fixed.

I will pass on your comment to the staff it is always so nice when someone lets us have feedback of a positive nature, as unfortunately it is almost always the people who wish to say negatives things that take the time to write a review.

I do hope we can welcome you back again soon, look at our website for up coming offers.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We went to hoar cross hall on the 16th of feb me and my boyfriend stayed in a luxury suite which was great, bath was lovely and bed everything clean. Our 3 course meal was also beautiful, my only problem is that I think for the price we payed £400 plus a 110 service charge, there should be some kind of treatment included in this back massage or facial, also the service was not the best this time as having to wait for drinks for ten minutes at oasis bar and bar later on.

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Hannah 667,

Thank you for your review I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your room and evening meal.

I do not know what you mean by a 110 service charge ? we do put a optional 3% gratuities on as a staff tip to share between every department, which can be taken off at the check out should you wish as it is optional, it would never come to anything like this amount. If you wish for me to check into this for you please contact me directly.

Customer Service Manager

Reviewed 17 February 2014

So pleased we didn't pay full price to stay in this overcrowded (on a Sunday day and evening) 1980's very dated, damp and musty smelling , so called luxury (I don't think so) spa and hotel! Very outdated in every room of this hotel, very odd interior design .. Just chuck a load of Grecian pseudo statues, cherubs and gold baroque mirrors with 1970's dirty swirly carpets and call it 'luxury'! Very surprised the Management can get away with this rating! Desperately needs a TOTAL re-fit and someone who knows Interior Design to bring some Class to what could be a beautiful hotel and building. Really Naff furniture and plastic looking Greek pictures! Spa facilities outdated.claustrophobically busy and damp smelling! We won't be back! Best thing was the free Aromatherapy shampoo in the bathroom - truly. It's that bad. Receptionist on our departure asked us to post on trip advisor but didn't ask if we had had. Nice stay. BIG mistake!!!!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ali F

Dear Ali F,

As you have contacted me directly by email I feel we have both given our personal points of view to each other.

I agree we do need a refurbishment in some areas and this is planned to start sometime in April we also have further plans for more areas to be added throughout the coming year.

I do feel though that some of your comments are just your personal point of view and a little un true, our ball room is part of the original stately home and has many beautiful period features as does the long gallery.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Staff friendly and polite as usual, rooms up to high standard (best nights sleep ever!). Fantastic choice of food, will definitely return! Do not listen to miserable reviewers, try it for your self! Been visiting for the past 7 years and still as enjoyable as ever.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear CKW259,

How very kind of you to write us this review, I am so delighted you enjoyed your stay and want to return.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

i have stayed here 4 times now and each time it seems to be going downhill and the price going up. the 1st time i stayed was 3 years ago and you had lunch on the day of arrival, a 3 course evening meal, breakfast and lunch on day of departure, also a 30 min choice of massage,, 2 weeks ago the lunch on arrival meal does not exist anymore, nor does the free massage, but the price has increased !!! i will be looking at other alternatives in the future, for £99, lunch evening meal breakfast and light lunch on day of departure including 1x 60 treatment and 2 x 30 min treatments with qhotels,,ie crewe hall,

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank john r

Dear John r,

Thank you for your review, we had used to offer a midweek spa break that included a 25 minute facial or part body massage treatment and lunch both days but the price of that was from £175 per person, our prices now start from £149 per person and the only thing taken away a is the 25 minute treatment and the lunch, this then gives our guests the choice to have a full extra lunch or just a snack from one of our cafes, they can then choose the treatment of their liking and put the money they are saving towards things they really want. Of course all spa facilities and as many classes as you wish to take, with full use of the gym and golf academy, and over 80 acres of beautiful grounds to enjoy.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

When I received a day spa gift voucher with treatments as a gift I was very excited and couldn't wait to use it. Myself and two friends went this week and were very disappointed, for a number of reasons.
When we arrived we were given a print out with the times of our treatments and proceeded to the pool area. We were very surprised that the place looked like it could do with tidying up to bring it up to date, we were also was shocked to find that there was no complimentary tea or coffee. Some of the areas where you could go to relax reminded me of an old peoples home.....very dated.
The girl who did my first treatment was move interested in telling me about her shopping and eating habits than letting me relax. When I went to book in for my next treatment I was informed I should have been there half an hour earlier even though I turned up at the time stated on my print out. When I asked how could that have happened she just shrugged her shoulders saying " don't know" not even a I am really sorry let me she what has happened. She told me the only thing that she could do was book me in for the end of the day, I said I would prefer to have the treatment now as I wanted to spend time with my friends later. I was told " well that all I can offer". I went to the main reception to complain about the rudeness of the girl at the treatment reception. She didn't even apologise or smile, just said " let me go and see them " and walked off.
She returned 5 mins later with a therapist in tow and said you can have your facial now. Again not even a sorry for the mix up, the therapist who did the facial in the end was lovely and did manage to relax me as I was a little annoyed to say the least.
I understand that mistakes do happen however it is all about how you deal with your customers when it does happen and basically they did nothing of the sort, unhappy staff who have no customer relations do not make for a happy spa day. The room my friend had her facial in had mould around the window and cobwebs on the ceiling !!!! also there were a lot of the facilities out of order, a Jacuzzi, heated beds, some of the jets in the aqua spa area. I have had better spa days that I have paid a lot less for, If you are thinking of booking here for a spa day please think again, it is not worth the money.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Fiona S

Dear Fiona,
I am sorry to hear of the customer service issues you uncounted on your spa day, we do not tolerate our guests being treated rudely and if you wish to contact me directly with names I will be happy to take this further,I apolosige for any disappointment this caused.

We will be modernising when we have our refurbishment later in the spring, I am sure you will appreciate with a building this size it is a never ending task, we are currently having our roof repaired before the inside projects get started.

I assure you customer service and satisfaction is very import to us.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

I booked a last minute deal for myself and my husband, in need of a bit of relaxation, an overnight stay Friday to Saturday including B&B, Dinner and lunch on day of departure. Friends of ours have visited Hoar cross several times and had recommended. We tried to book treatments but were told there were no spaces available and they would contact us during the week before as we were on the waiting list should anyone cancel. We didn't hear anything.. On arrival the hall is quite lovely as are the grounds.The hotel staff were nice and no complaints there. However our room wasn't good. It was a large enough room but with a small window which you couldn't see out of and we were barely able to open the 'frosted' glass window which wasn't good as the smell in the bathroom from the drains was overpowering. Needing to get out of there we went to the spa and asked about treatments. We were told yes, there had been some cancellations so we both booked treatments. My husband had a sports massage a little later and I booked in for a pedicure on the Saturday. I attended a couple of relaxation classes which were nice. The pool area was way too occupied, far too many people, no loungers and far from a relaxing environment. The saving grace is the food on the evening was excellent and service was good. In the morning we attempted the spa after breakfast (which was quite disorganised and service very slow) but again it was overly crowded and not relaxing. My husband opted for the gym and I went off for my pedicure, however on arrival to the spa reception ( the younger staff were helpful but there was an older lady who was quite unfriendly) I was informed that the booking for treatment had been mistakenly booked for the previous morning, Friday instead of Saturday (it wasn't booked until 5pm on Friday evening!!) therefore there was no space to fit me in. No apologies were made. The girl did offer me a shorter treatment later in the day which was not the treatment I had booked so I declined. In the end we left the spa and went for a walk round the grounds before giving up entirely and going home early.

Room Tip: If you're given room 225 ask to be moved ( we didn't and regret this)