This was my fifth visit to Hoar Cross and will probably be the last. I booked through Secret Escapes at £189 per couple for an overnight stay saving £109 on the rack rate. On previous visits the arrival time was 10am with lunch on the first day and departure was 7pm the following day. Now arrival is 11am, lunch on first day costs £15 and departure is 6pm. We opted to prepay for lunch on arrival and wish we hadn't bothered it was not worth the money. On arriving in the restaurant for lunch we were told we did not have a stamp for that day so we had to return to reception to get it rectified - another waste of our time!
We were told our room would not be ready until 2.30 so at that time we went to collect our key. Our room, 312, on the second floor was lovely but there was a strange smell. On reflection we should have complained but as we were anxious to use the facilities we opened the window and left. The horrible damp smell did not dissipate at all during our stay and when we mentioned it to a cleaner just before leaving she told us that management were aware of the smell and didn't know what it was and she said the room should not be let. The spa bath in the bathroom did not work and there was no remote control to work the TV.
On previous visits towels were freely available in all changing rooms but now you have to go to treatment or gym reception to obtain a towel. Free tea and coffee was.provided in the cafe but now you have to purchase it at £2.95 for a coffee. It is not advertised that if you go to the Sun Terrace Room there are machines with free tea and coffee (I had been tipped off before our visit). An overnight stay also included a facial or massage - now it is an extra £47.
Our first day was like a bank holiday at Butlins, so crowded it was unbelievable. No chance of getting a lounger by either pool although it was obvious towels had been left just to secure a place. The second day was better but still limited access to loungers.
The dinner was superb and the live pianist was very good. However breakfast was a different matter. The choice of cereal was Rice Krispies, Bran Flakes or Cornflakes - really cheap options! The fruit on offer was tinned apart from apple slices. The advertised 'bread basket' was indeed a basket but full of cheap sliced white bread which does not work if you want a continental breakfast - the bread rolls at dinner were delicious.
If we had paid the full price I would have been livid but at the price we paid I was just very disappointed. A friend wants me to repeat our visit to Hoar Cross but I am afraid she would be disappointed and I would be embarrassed.
There is a loyalty programme and after my third visit I was awarded a lovely fluffy Hoar Cross bathrobe. Now after three visits you get a free file and polish!
Now that Steve Joynes has passed on the running of Hoar Cross to his son it smacks of greed and selfishness. The feeling of being pampered has been replaced by a feeling of being ripped off.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We are a beautifully restored Grade II listed building. We Combine the pleasures of staying in an elegant English Stately Home with the facilities of a modern luxury spa resort, you'll be able to enjoy superb surroundings, fine dining and beautiful bedrooms suites and penthouses. Hidden away in 80 acres of English countryside, the spacious grounds have lakes and wildlife in abundance. Make use of the Tennis Courts, Golf course Practice Area & Driving range. We offer a variety of mouth-watering dishes and a host of therapies to wash away the stresses of everyday life. Treat yourself to a coffee or a slice of cake in the Oasis Cafe. We pride ourselves on our outstanding hospitality, so relax and let our dedicated staff take care of you. Winner of England's Leading Resort at the World Travel Awards for 7 consecutive years. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Agoda, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hoar Cross Hall Health Hotel Hoar Cross
- Hoar Cross Hall Health Resort
- Cross Hall Hoar
- Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel Staffordshire