“Great day”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hoar Cross
wolverhampton
“Great day”
Reviewed 20 February 2014

went for a day spa experience with friend and family, the staff there are so attentive and the treatments we recieved were all top class,at lunch I was disapointed with my main course , I had linguni which was really bad ,no flavour at all, to be fair they did offer me something else , but the others had eaten by then so i declined the offer, On the plus side One member of our party had phoned before arrival and stated dietery requirements and the were very obliging and she said her meal was perfect.so it was just bad choice on my part, Could highly recommend for a nice relaxing day doing everything and nothing, thanks Hoar cross.My only negative of the day is the prices they charge for tea and coffee but there is plenty of free water spas everywhere.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear GoldSue,

Thank you for your review, I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit to the spa.
Our Chefs are always happy to cook something distinct for anyone with special dietary requirements, they always go the extra mile to keep guests happy and safe.

We do have a coffee/tea lounge with complimentary drinks as well as your welcome juice on arrival.

We hope to see you again.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We had a very relaxing weekend. Staff very friendly and eager to help. Rooms were very clean and comfortable. The spa was very relaxing and we enjoyed the facilities one of our party enjoyed the yoga. Food was good and restaurant staff very helpful

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Bea T,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, we have always prided our selves in the past for great customer service and friendly staff, its wonderful to know we delivered this on your recent stay.

England
Reviewed 20 February 2014

This was my fifth visit to Hoar Cross and will probably be the last. I booked through Secret Escapes at £189 per couple for an overnight stay saving £109 on the rack rate. On previous visits the arrival time was 10am with lunch on the first day and departure was 7pm the following day. Now arrival is 11am, lunch on first day costs £15 and departure is 6pm. We opted to prepay for lunch on arrival and wish we hadn't bothered it was not worth the money. On arriving in the restaurant for lunch we were told we did not have a stamp for that day so we had to return to reception to get it rectified - another waste of our time!

We were told our room would not be ready until 2.30 so at that time we went to collect our key. Our room, 312, on the second floor was lovely but there was a strange smell. On reflection we should have complained but as we were anxious to use the facilities we opened the window and left. The horrible damp smell did not dissipate at all during our stay and when we mentioned it to a cleaner just before leaving she told us that management were aware of the smell and didn't know what it was and she said the room should not be let. The spa bath in the bathroom did not work and there was no remote control to work the TV.

On previous visits towels were freely available in all changing rooms but now you have to go to treatment or gym reception to obtain a towel. Free tea and coffee was.provided in the cafe but now you have to purchase it at £2.95 for a coffee. It is not advertised that if you go to the Sun Terrace Room there are machines with free tea and coffee (I had been tipped off before our visit). An overnight stay also included a facial or massage - now it is an extra £47.

Our first day was like a bank holiday at Butlins, so crowded it was unbelievable. No chance of getting a lounger by either pool although it was obvious towels had been left just to secure a place. The second day was better but still limited access to loungers.

The dinner was superb and the live pianist was very good. However breakfast was a different matter. The choice of cereal was Rice Krispies, Bran Flakes or Cornflakes - really cheap options! The fruit on offer was tinned apart from apple slices. The advertised 'bread basket' was indeed a basket but full of cheap sliced white bread which does not work if you want a continental breakfast - the bread rolls at dinner were delicious.

If we had paid the full price I would have been livid but at the price we paid I was just very disappointed. A friend wants me to repeat our visit to Hoar Cross but I am afraid she would be disappointed and I would be embarrassed.

There is a loyalty programme and after my third visit I was awarded a lovely fluffy Hoar Cross bathrobe. Now after three visits you get a free file and polish!

Now that Steve Joynes has passed on the running of Hoar Cross to his son it smacks of greed and selfishness. The feeling of being pampered has been replaced by a feeling of being ripped off.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Sue H
Dear Sue H,

Thank you for your review, I am very sadden to read of your disappointment.

I apologise for the problem with your room if you had of contacted main reception we could have moved you to another room immediately, we have now found the problem that is being worked on by our maintenance team, and the spa bath is in full working order.

We no longer offer piles of towels in every changing room, however you can collect them from any of the four desks, and change them as often as you wish.

An overnight stay that included a treatment used to be more for one person than you paid for the two of you at a weekend, we have reduced the price so our guests can then choose the treatment of their choice, and use the money they are saving to spend on things they really want.

The old loyalty card you are writing about was when you had one stamp for every two nights here, now our loyal guests receive a stamp for every night they stay, even when they are on very special offer rates.

Travellers are raving about these Hoar Cross hotels

Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

Me and my partner stayed at Hall Cross Hall for one night when we arrived the receptionist was polite and helpful we went to out room to find it was of a poor standard and cleanliness was not up to scratch.... We decided to try the spa area which was absolutely filthy I felt far from relaxed after spending time in there nothing like what I expected I have visited the spa ten years previously and it was a completely different experience all together, on the evening we had a meal the food was not up to scratch, I have been to many hotels/spas and restaurants and the quality of the food was what you would have expected from an etap hotel ..... Any complaints made to staff were completely dismissed and the general manager was one of the rudest most degrading people I have ever met ! We payed £160 on right move for the room including breakfast we had no treatments a light lunch and a few drinks we payed for our dinner separately so when on check out to find we got a shocking bill of almost £500 not including dinner we were horrified ... I have never had such a bad experience, I left the hotel feeling upset and £500 lighter never in my life have I had such terrible service and been treated so poorly by a general manager I am truly disappointed

• Stayed February 2014
5 Thank Annabelle-tibbate
Dear Annabelle-Tibbate,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, I am sorry to hear of your disappointment.

All our prices are clearly displayed for all our guests to read, either if you are booking directly or using one of the on line booking agents that we use, with a full list of terms and conditions and a description of what your package of choice includes. As such there should be no surprises. We often hear a lot of positive reviews regarding our food and quality however when we do have constructive comments we will always take appropriate action in order to ensure the guest experience is preserved.

The remark pertaining to lack of courteousness is disparaging and do feel you should contact myself directly to discuss the accuracy of your comments.

Customer Service Manager
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

I wanted to treat my partner to a relaxing luxury night away, I'd heard very good reports about hoar cross to say I was disappointed is an understatement, the total cost for our stay for one night came to £500 and this only included a massage for my partner and a few drinks, everything is so over prices a bottle of everyday white Zinfandel with our meal cost £29. I paid for my partner to have a 50 minute massage he was back within 35 minutes. The hotel is looking very tired and dated and many of the spa facilities are out of order. I couldn't wait to leave. We both came away very disappointed and £500 lighter. I can safely say we will not be returning.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Gareth-jayson
Dear Gareth-Jayson,

I am sorry to hear of your disappointment following your recent stay.

Did you ask to speak with a duty manager at the time of your stay as we always try to rectify any problems or disappointment whilst you are here, so you can enjoy your experience and not leave feeling unhappy.

I assure you customer service and satisfaction is very important to us.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I booked a surprise overnight stay for myself and my partner for Valentines weekend. This was the first time either of us had been to a spa resort and we weren't left disappointed. The staff were courteous, highly efficient and very friendly throughout the duration of our stay, particularly during the evening dinner. In fact, the dinner was one of our highlights: the ballroom felt very grandiose, the food some of the best we've eaten anywhere (both here and abroad), and the atmosphere very relaxed and friendly.

We stayed in Room 229, which was one of their "Luxury Suites". It overlooked the beautiful Italian gardens, and had a very spacious and well-fitted lounge area. The room service staff had done a marvellous job of preparing the room for us (I say this because cleaning staff often get overlooked, or have a rough time on review sites such as this, so I feel the need to make my appreciation explicit).

The spa facilities were on the whole very good. Some of the facilities I must admit to not seeing the benefit of (given that myself and my partner are spa newbies): such as the Kneipp pool, and the blue circular room with jets of water which seemed too low down to be of any use. The other facilities (such as the saunas, steam rooms, Jacuzzis, swimming pool, plunge pool, saltwater pool, etc.) were much more like what I expected. All of the facilities were kept spotless and at most times there were sufficient loungers to relax on.

In terms of the breakfast, this was your standard buffet selection, albeit with very efficient and courteous service. Unfortunately due to other commitments we were unable to stay for lunch (which was included in our package) so we cannot comment on that.

The only three (very minor) downsides were that the walls of our room were paper thin - we could hear pretty much every sentence of our rather chatty neighbours, and listen to them using plug sockets right behind our heads in bed (which alarmed us the first time we encountered it!). The second is that the fan above the bed didn't work, which we could have used given the very warm temperature of the room. The third downside was the fact that all of their spa treatments (not included in the price of the package) were totally booked up with a lengthy waiting list. This was perhaps unavoidable given the last minute nature of my booking. But as I say, these are the most minor niggles in an overall fantastic stay.

Verdict: 9 / 10

It was a shame our schedules only allowed for one night's stay! I would thoroughly recommend this spa resort (and, for the record, we found no evidence of some of the cleanliness or service issues reported by previous reviews). Can't wait to book here again in the future.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lee O
Dear Lee O,
Many thanks for writing us this review I am delighted you enjoyed your Valentines getaway.

As you have been so helpful and given us the room number you stayed in I can ask our maintenance team to check out the fan above the bed and get this fixed.

I will pass on your comment to the staff it is always so nice when someone lets us have feedback of a positive nature, as unfortunately it is almost always the people who wish to say negatives things that take the time to write a review.

I do hope we can welcome you back again soon, look at our website for up coming offers.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

We went to hoar cross hall on the 16th of feb me and my boyfriend stayed in a luxury suite which was great, bath was lovely and bed everything clean. Our 3 course meal was also beautiful, my only problem is that I think for the price we payed £400 plus a 110 service charge, there should be some kind of treatment included in this back massage or facial, also the service was not the best this time as having to wait for drinks for ten minutes at oasis bar and bar later on.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Hannah 667,

Thank you for your review I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your room and evening meal.

I do not know what you mean by a 110 service charge ? we do put a optional 3% gratuities on as a staff tip to share between every department, which can be taken off at the check out should you wish as it is optional, it would never come to anything like this amount. If you wish for me to check into this for you please contact me directly.

Customer Service Manager
Three Horseshoes Country Inn & Spa
Weston Hall
Weston Hall
#1 of 11 in Stafford

Been to Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!