“relaxing stay, food good, hotel shabby in some areas needs updating, inconsistent therapies”

Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hoar Cross
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Room was better than expected. Spa experience up to expectations. Classes I attended, salsa, sculpt and tone, aquasplash and yoga brilliant instructors. My daughter and i both had the hot stone back neck shoulder and face. Hers with Laura lasted the full time, mine didn't. Also I did not have hot stones between my toes or to hold. The therapist Charlotte had no idea what osteoporosis was and I had to explain this to her. I expected the same as my daughter and was not very impressed. I go for regular massages to a therapist near home and had expectations which were not met.

Some areas of hotel were shabby and an update is well overdue, threadbare chairs in lounge. Also tea and coffee were free in one lounge but no peppermint or camomile which I would expect at a spa.

Room Tip: We had a twin room with aerobath Room was fantastic, beds comfy.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank BeckyB254
Hoar Cross Hall S, Public Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear BeckyB 254,

Thank you for your review, I have asked our supervisors to speak with your therapist as I am a little concerned with your comments and all feedback is taken seriously thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We do offer unlimited 24 hours per day complimentary tea/coffee however should you wish any specialist drinks we do have three areas they can be purchased throughout the day.

I am pleased you left here feeling relaxed.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

This was my first visit to Hoar Cross Hall and hopefully it will not be my last. We had a wonderful time and were very impressed by all of the spa facilities that we used - the whole experience was very relaxing. The rooms were lovely and very comfortable. The evening meal in the ball room was very tasty as was breakfast and lunch the next day. The only bit of confusion that we had was getting used to the enormity of the building and finding our way around but this just added to our own entertainment!! The staff were all very helpful pointing us in the right direction - I will definitely return and loved every minute of my stay.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BexHadders1st
Dear BexHadders 1st

Thank you for writing such a wonderful review for us, we are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay so much that you wish to return, I do hope you were offered a map to help you navigate your way around our lovely hotel and grounds.

We would love to welcome you back again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We decided to take a two night break at a spa hotel to escape from the bad weather we had all been having. Having enjoyed a previous stay at Hoar Cross we decided to go again. We had a great time. The staff could not be more friendly or helpful and our room was bigger and better than on our previous visit. We look forward to going back again!

• Stayed February 2014
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear Reggie Roamer,

Thank you for your review, I am so delighted to hear you found our staff friendly and helpful, and that your room was to your liking, we would love to see you again soon.

Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have just returned from a short stay here and all I can say is what a great experience it was from start to finish. This was our first visit to Hoar Cross Hall and we were not disappointed.
All the staff we encountered were friendly, helpful and courteous.
Our room was lovely and clean with a nice view of the grounds.
Dining was a great experience in the ballroom, helped along by a friendly and attentive waiter. The food was perfect and tasty and the bottle of wine well priced.
Drinks followed in the champagne bar with friendly staff and comfortable surroundings.
Breakfast was served in the Plantation Restaurant and was perfect. The cooked selection, particularly the sausages, was very very tasty.
This was followed by a walk in the lovely grounds with views over the Staffordshire countryside.
A relaxing time was had in the sun lounge with free coffee and newspapers.
Lunch was another good experience with lovely soup and a good selection of salads. There was also a tasty looking hot selection.
We left shortly after this having had a wonderful and relaxing experience. We could find no fault at all with anything and it was well worth the £189 pounds paid for what was a full board package.
In conclusion, we find the recent reviews somewhat surprising given the pleasant experiences we had!
Please don't let them put you off. It's well worth visiting. Well done and thank you to everyone at Hoar Cross Hall.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Dear Tim 757,

What a great review, I am so grateful you have taken the time to write this for us.

Customer service and satisfaction is very important to us, and from reading your review we did get this right for you both.

We hope to welcome you back again.

wolverhampton
Reviewed 20 February 2014

went for a day spa experience with friend and family, the staff there are so attentive and the treatments we recieved were all top class,at lunch I was disapointed with my main course , I had linguni which was really bad ,no flavour at all, to be fair they did offer me something else , but the others had eaten by then so i declined the offer, On the plus side One member of our party had phoned before arrival and stated dietery requirements and the were very obliging and she said her meal was perfect.so it was just bad choice on my part, Could highly recommend for a nice relaxing day doing everything and nothing, thanks Hoar cross.My only negative of the day is the prices they charge for tea and coffee but there is plenty of free water spas everywhere.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear GoldSue,

Thank you for your review, I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit to the spa.
Our Chefs are always happy to cook something distinct for anyone with special dietary requirements, they always go the extra mile to keep guests happy and safe.

We do have a coffee/tea lounge with complimentary drinks as well as your welcome juice on arrival.

We hope to see you again.

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We had a very relaxing weekend. Staff very friendly and eager to help. Rooms were very clean and comfortable. The spa was very relaxing and we enjoyed the facilities one of our party enjoyed the yoga. Food was good and restaurant staff very helpful

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Bea T,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, we have always prided our selves in the past for great customer service and friendly staff, its wonderful to know we delivered this on your recent stay.

England
Reviewed 20 February 2014

This was my fifth visit to Hoar Cross and will probably be the last. I booked through Secret Escapes at £189 per couple for an overnight stay saving £109 on the rack rate. On previous visits the arrival time was 10am with lunch on the first day and departure was 7pm the following day. Now arrival is 11am, lunch on first day costs £15 and departure is 6pm. We opted to prepay for lunch on arrival and wish we hadn't bothered it was not worth the money. On arriving in the restaurant for lunch we were told we did not have a stamp for that day so we had to return to reception to get it rectified - another waste of our time!

We were told our room would not be ready until 2.30 so at that time we went to collect our key. Our room, 312, on the second floor was lovely but there was a strange smell. On reflection we should have complained but as we were anxious to use the facilities we opened the window and left. The horrible damp smell did not dissipate at all during our stay and when we mentioned it to a cleaner just before leaving she told us that management were aware of the smell and didn't know what it was and she said the room should not be let. The spa bath in the bathroom did not work and there was no remote control to work the TV.

On previous visits towels were freely available in all changing rooms but now you have to go to treatment or gym reception to obtain a towel. Free tea and coffee was.provided in the cafe but now you have to purchase it at £2.95 for a coffee. It is not advertised that if you go to the Sun Terrace Room there are machines with free tea and coffee (I had been tipped off before our visit). An overnight stay also included a facial or massage - now it is an extra £47.

Our first day was like a bank holiday at Butlins, so crowded it was unbelievable. No chance of getting a lounger by either pool although it was obvious towels had been left just to secure a place. The second day was better but still limited access to loungers.

The dinner was superb and the live pianist was very good. However breakfast was a different matter. The choice of cereal was Rice Krispies, Bran Flakes or Cornflakes - really cheap options! The fruit on offer was tinned apart from apple slices. The advertised 'bread basket' was indeed a basket but full of cheap sliced white bread which does not work if you want a continental breakfast - the bread rolls at dinner were delicious.

If we had paid the full price I would have been livid but at the price we paid I was just very disappointed. A friend wants me to repeat our visit to Hoar Cross but I am afraid she would be disappointed and I would be embarrassed.

There is a loyalty programme and after my third visit I was awarded a lovely fluffy Hoar Cross bathrobe. Now after three visits you get a free file and polish!

Now that Steve Joynes has passed on the running of Hoar Cross to his son it smacks of greed and selfishness. The feeling of being pampered has been replaced by a feeling of being ripped off.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Sue H
Dear Sue H,

Thank you for your review, I am very sadden to read of your disappointment.

I apologise for the problem with your room if you had of contacted main reception we could have moved you to another room immediately, we have now found the problem that is being worked on by our maintenance team, and the spa bath is in full working order.

We no longer offer piles of towels in every changing room, however you can collect them from any of the four desks, and change them as often as you wish.

An overnight stay that included a treatment used to be more for one person than you paid for the two of you at a weekend, we have reduced the price so our guests can then choose the treatment of their choice, and use the money they are saving to spend on things they really want.

The old loyalty card you are writing about was when you had one stamp for every two nights here, now our loyal guests receive a stamp for every night they stay, even when they are on very special offer rates.

Travellers are raving about these Hoar Cross hotels

Swinfen Hall Hotel
#2 of 7 in Lichfield
Three Horseshoes Country Inn & Spa
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield

Been to Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!