“Disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hoar Cross
Cayman Islands
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

I did a lot of research for a spa to visit with my mum over the Easter break and choose Hoar Cross Hall as the pictures looked amazing, and the place was just as pictured, grounds beautiful, house amazing with lots of history.

However the beauty aside the food was disappointing worse than even I could make, and I admittedly can not cook. Took 1.5 hours between starter & main & the couple sitting next to us who arrived 30 minutes after is got served before is. The wine was awful, undrinkable.

Played tennis & archery which was great, plenty of activities to do there.

Room was ok, comfy but there was mascara on the pillow.

Staff were nice, helpful and polite.

Overall wouldn't go back again, but it has lots of potential & a very nice building.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank The-Cayman-Concierge
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014
Dear The-cayman-con,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, I was very sorry to read you did not wish to return, we do have a very exciting refurbishment underway, and a new food and beverage manager which we are very confidant will have a positive effect on all dinning experiences here.

I am delighted you enjoyed the spa facilities and found the staff helpful and polite.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
Stafford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

As a review the contents of my complaint e-mail are included below. My family attended the spa on the 10th March 2014 and I sent the e-mail on the 14th. Other than a standard acknowledgement I have received no further response after 3 weeks, which just about says it all about the management of this establishment. I had deliberately waited to hear their side, before posting this, but they obviously couldn't care less. Dear Sirs, I attended Hoar Cross day spa on Monday 10th March 2014, as a late substitution for another party member due to a bereavement, a week prior to the booking. The no-refund policy (30 days) only allows for the movement of the entire booking without penalty and I think this is short-sighted if you value your customers; surely allowing credit in vouchers for an individual who cannot attend at the last minute would be a lot more customer friendly? Our party of four thus consisted of myself, my wife and two daughters. The three of them have attended both the day spa and stayed at the Hall itself on over half a dozen occasions spanning the last 10 years. They told me that whilst on previous visits they have left at the end of their stay rested, rejuvenated and looking forward to returning, this was not the case this time. All three commented to me that standards have slipped such an extent that next time they would rather try somewhere else instead. As a first timer, I wondered what they previously saw in the place as I observed no evidence of “luxury” and did not leave refreshed and relaxed, or indeed that I had received value for money. After checking in we were directed to the changing rooms. I spent several minutes trying to find the locker allocated to me without success, and had to return to the main reception and wait for someone to deal with my problem whilst other customers were checking in. Eventually the issue was resolved – I had been allocated a locker in the female changing room. On returning to the male changing room with a new locker number plus towel and robe I discovered that slippers are no longer provided free of charge, as assured by my wife. This is a change in policy ( and yes I’m aware of it now that I’ve read the information buried in the multitude of e-mail attachments sent to my wife) and obviously it’s a money spinning venture as no-one seems surprised that the 4 of us have been caught out, either on reception or in the “shop”. Trooping up to the shop in our robes to purchase slippers at £3.95 a pair was a very interesting experience involving sidling past painters and decorators who were trying to paint the stairs. As we made our way over the dust sheets I was already beginning to wonder who wrote the sentences “Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel is a Grade II listed stately home retreat that pairs period style with modern luxury and attentive service” and “total relaxation is the order of the day” on your website. The floor of the shop was heavily soiled so I particularly enjoyed standing on it barefoot whilst being directed to a basket of slippers by an un-surprised member of staff. I was told that further evidence of cost cutting included; a lack of fresh towels (now you have to go and ask at reception for a towel change), no complimentary tea and coffee, a marked absence of water dispensers, holes in the walls of the female changing rooms where items had been removed between the mirrors and no printed information pack sent out when booking. When we went in search of a mid morning drink my family were disappointed that the relaxing sofas in the cafe area had been mainly replaced with upright cafe style tables and chairs, poor for lounging and relaxing. The staff member there seemed uninterested in us, made no effort to engage, merely (eventually) taking our order and (eventually) less than graciously clattering it onto the glass table in the middle of the previous occupants dirty cups etc., before clearing them, but leaving all of the crumbs and mucky circles left behind. The “dirty” theme became further apparent when one daughter pointed out the dust lurking beneath the glass top of the table we were sitting at. I turned to see that both table lamps alongside us looked like they had never been cleaned between the top of the lamp and the shades. It’s no exaggeration to say they were “thick with dust”. (I took a photo of a finger coated with the stuff if proof is required). The room wasn’t particularly warm when wearing a robe, a theme that continued throughout the day, especially during lunch when the restaurant was distinctly chilly for the majority of us who weren’t wearing outdoor clothes. All four of us had a treatment booked before lunch. Originally all four were for facials. When I was substituted mine was changed to a back massage. When we arrived the printed information provided showed four back massages – an issue with how the codes were printed, and not a problem, we were assured. Except the 3 women were offered back massages and had to wait whilst the rooms were reset for them. They commented that the treatment rooms had been moved and were a poor substitute for those they had used in the past. Flickering lights, noise in the corridor and a running commentary from one member of staff did not make for a relaxing experience. My eldest was asked if her pregnancy “was planned?” during her facial. I’m told that the products used have been significantly downgraded and that at one time a detailed product list would be provided and attentively gone through; not any more. Lunch was OK, a good salad bar, warmish soup and decent main courses, but a barely warm apple crumble and my “chocolate tart” that was a pastry case with mousse piped into it were let-downs. After lunch I was informed it was time to relax and read a book in pleasant surroundings covered with warm blankets. No such luck. The rest area with leather sofas only had three blankets, all in use. The noise both from reception and the “corridor” alongside made it impossible to switch-off. Add the clatter from the restaurant re-setting and the chilly air and you can understand why we gave up and went back for a second swim. We might have lingered for another coffee before departing but to be honest the place has apparently been reduced to the standard of a council leisure centre. Actually that’s untrue; leisure centres I have been in recently were cleaner, more relaxing and had staff who looked like they enjoyed being there, which is more than can be said for somewhere that purports to be a “unique sanctuary”. At around £450 for the day we feel ripped off.read less

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Mark W
Dear Mark W,
Thank you for your review, I do apologise for the disappointment following your spa day, and also for the lack of response. The manager that your email was sent to has now left the company and we were not aware he had not responded to you.
We have never offered slippers to day guest visitors complimentary, you had used to be able to pre-pay for the slippers and robes or a tote bag and they would be waiting for you in the locker and of course your could then take them home, we do advise guests in our conformation letters that footwear is not provided, and suggest guests bring flip flops or slippers or they can purchase some on the day if they prefer.
You may change your towel as often as you wish at any of the 4 desks or even in the gym, at no cost whatsoever.
We now offer a complimentary juice drink on arrival but still have one lounge area that unlimited complimentary tea/coffee is available.
I have spoken with the restaurant staff and asked them to be mindful when relaying the restaurant of guests in the atrium trying to sleep and chill out.
I do assure you customer service and satisfaction is paramount to us and I hope we can prove this to you sometime in the future, thank you for your feedback.

Travellers are raving about these Hoar Cross hotels

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

I have visited Hoar Cross Hall several times over the past 10 years. I was really looking forward to my visit as my husband had purchased a gift voucher for my birthday as a special treat. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement, it just isn't the same. The property itself is beautiful and set in wonderful grounds and this cannot be faulted, but enter at your peril. I can't even really put a finger on what has changed but the personal touch has certainly gone. I personally think that more attention is now given to the day spa, which probably brings in more money, than the residential side, previously they were two completely different parts but now everyone seems to mingle.

When I arrived check in was good although my room wasn't ready as I was a little early and I was given my robe, towel and a welcome pack. When I did get to my room it was very dark and overlooked a hot tub, which the following day I had to spend the whole afternoon listening to a member of staff power washing the decking and the flag stones around it and I must admit when he had finished and I looked at it, I could have done a better job myself, it was still green.

There is now only one place that you can get the complimentary tea and coffee and quite frankly the room desperately needs a refurb and a bit of TLC.

The dining experience was fabulous in the past, how disappointed I was by this now. The fresh salmon at lunchtime has been replaced with "crab sticks" and there was very little meat around if you wished to have a salad. The evening meal was also disappointing, if you wished to have beef for you dinner then there was an extra charge of £9.00!! No vegetables came with the meal and again these were charged extra. On the first evening I plumped for the beef, it was okay but nothing spectacular and it came with chips, no option for potatoes etc. My meal on the first evening was okay but nothing special. The second evening was even worse, I chose prawn cocktail, I make a better one myself, it consisted of mulched up cheap prawns and a sliver of lettuce, nothing else in it and it came with homemade wholemeal bread, which resembled a house brick, in colour texture and weight, absolutely awful. I then plumped for what was supposed to be a homemade Hoar Cross burger, absolutely disgusting. I couldn't even manage to get a sweet down, I couldn't get out quick enough and I spent most of the evening and indeed during the night feeling sick.

The treatments I chose were really good and I was very pleased with them and at least this side of things seemed okay.

When I checked out it was pretty organised although they did try to overcharge me, I wasn't asked if everything had been okay. All in all the two nights cost approximately £600 in all including the treatments.

I can honestly say that I will not be returning to Hoar Cross Hall again unless they pull up their socks dramatically and I will now look for somewhere nearer to home.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
3 Thank billandshirley
Dear bill and Shirley,

Thank you for writing us a review.
You are correct we do still offer unlimited tea/coffee in the sun terrace lounge, which of course can be taken to enjoy in your favourite area, this lounge is on the refurbishment list that is now underway.
If for any reason you are experiencing noise in your room please contact main reception and we will always try our best to get this sorted out for you at the time.
We have taken the full Salmon off the lunch menu as so many of our regular guests were complaining it had not been changed for many years and was now coming across as old fashioned, I will pass on your comments to our head chef, who takes all feedback very seriously and would be happy to cook something special for you.

Please contact me directly and I will try to ensure your future visit is memorable for all the right reasons should you wish to return, thank you for taking the time to feedback your concerns to us, I can assure you we are constantly striving to improve and meet the standards to which we aspire.

Customer Service Manager
Birmingham, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Very pleaant overnight stay and nice massage. but lets me honest, mostly attract female groups.
Treatments were good. Although standard room where we stopped seemed to have rather thin walls-or maybe i just noisy neighbours.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
Dear Perry jw,

Thank you for your review, I am pleased to read you describe your visit as pleasant and you enjoyed your treatments too.

I would imagine all spa hotels have a larger female clientele, however I do believe it can tend to be more couples at the weekend.

Stafford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We have been visiting Hoar Cross for the past 10 years and have seen it go through quite a few changes but can honestly say it has greatly improved since our visit last year. Check in is far more efficient with your robe and treatment list been given to you on arrival - less waiting around. Complimentary tea and coffee is still available just not in as many places. We enjoyed afternoon tea on our first day which was delightful with our waitress explaining all about the various teas. We certainly weren't hungry after! our uneaten cakes were boxed up for later (we still didn't finish them!). Evening meal, breakfast and lunch were all excellent with something for everyone. The food was fresh, piping hot and with very efficient, friendly staff ( on our last visit this wasn't good). Christos the restaurant manager is an excellent appointment and has changed things for the better. I had a pedicure and a hot stones massage and again you couldn't fault the treatments. All the staff we met on our visit were friendly and spoke in the corridors. There are workmen making improvements but they are not noisy or in your way and for things to be changing they are needed. It's a pleasure to see Hoar Cross returning to the place it used to be. Please keep it this way.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Helen W
Dear Helen W,
Thank you taking the time to write us this review I believe this to be a very honest review, you are correct we do still offer complimentary tea/coffee and we are having work done, this is the start of our refurbishment that we know will greatly improve many areas and we are very excited about.

It is wonderful to hear you found the staff to be efficient and friendly on this visit, customer service and satisfaction is very important to us.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Alfreton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

Love this place. I've been 4 or 5 times now to the day spa. Go in the week and it's cheaper. Lunch included and it's very nice too. Drinks are extra. There's a swimming pool with a swim in cave, sauna, steam room, sauna ruin, and plunge pool at the other end. Foot massage pool and water jets. There are sunbeds around to relax on and there is a row of heated tiled beds but beware as you WILL nod off. The treatments are first rate. I've had a facial and massages and both were good.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear 0798 Anne,

Thank you for writing us a review, I am delighted you enjoy your experiences with us, it’s wonderful to hear you use the great spa facilities and treatments too.

We hope to see you again soon.

Leicestershire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

I have been going here with my best friend for the last 10 years. We couldn't make it last year as we were both going through a tough time, so this year we decided to go for some relaxation, as we have done in previous years.
We arrived on the Friday, we were on a two night retreat. Check in was fine and we relaxed for 20 minutes until our room was ready. We had treatments booked, booked our dinner and relaxed in the champagne bar with a pre dinner drink. We both agreed it was how we remembered hoar cross. That was until the Saturday! After a very relaxing day having treatments that totally relaxed us, we finished our evening with a brandy in the bar, then headed off to bed around 11pm. At midnight I was still awake, there was a hen party going on in a room on the ground floor and there was very loud music and girlie screaming, now I'm all up for people having a good time but things got worse. It was 12:50am when I'd had enough, the music was definitely louder as I could make out all the words to the songs that were being played and the screaming and shouting was also getting louder. I decided to phone reception as after a relaxing day, this was now a stressful ending. After several attempts at getting the phone answered, I was told the party would end at 1:30am, no apology was really made. I suggested that if I was aware of this party then at least I would have been prepared, probably have stayed in the bar longer!!! True to their word the music stopped at exactly 1:30am, so I was pleased I could now go to sleep. How wrong I was, the 'hens' then proceeded up stairs shouting and singing as they came and then decided to shout from one end of the corridor to the other. There are notices all other the hotel asking for guests to respect other guests may be sleeping. Well I guess after a night of partying, that was too much to ask. I'm not a party pooper but do wish they would have forewarned me. I am fearful these events will spoil the reputation of hoar cross, especially now they do weddings. I admit this is the most idilic setting to get married but perhaps they need to have a separate part of the hotel for that and that way no other guests would be disturbed.
Dinner on the second evening was also eventful. Our waitress was training she had no idea of how to serve and pour wine, I had to suggest or should I say stop her pouring half a bottle of wine into my glass. Food was wonderful though so perhaps a little more training was needed before letting loose on guests.
My friend left hoar cross after second day, but I had booked a third night as I was being joined by my man. He was totally impressed with the ambience of the place having never been there before. We placed his bags in our room and headed off to the bar for a glass of prosecco. He ordered a bottle and two glasses and instead of the waiter bringing it over for us, which should have been the case, we had to carry it to a table ourselves. We then had to clear the table as all of the tables in the bar area were covered in coffee cups, plates and tea pots! The waiter was on his own admittedly but my guest was not very impressed and nether was I.
We finished the prosecco and headed to get changed for dinner.
We were being served by the trainee waitress again, I asked to try the wine before and she proceeded to pour the wine until I stopped her to say just a little to taste, not half the bottle. She clearly had not learned a thing from the previous evening. The wine was fine and she started to pour some into my guests glass, missed it, spilt what was about £5 's worth all over the table cloth, when you're paying an obscene amount of money (£50) for a good wine I don't expect to share it with the tablecloth.
The food again was wonderful though. The next day we went to check out and settle our account. There was only two people in front of us, but it took forever! There were two people on reception, not checking in anyone and not one of them came over to assist. We had planned to stay for dinner, but my guest was not impressed with the service so we went to a lovely country pub instead.
A real shame about my experience this time as I will probably look at other options in the future.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Caz D
Dear Caz D,
Thank you for taking the time to write us this review, I am sorry you were disappointed with the level of service you received, please be assured we do take all feed back very seriously and we are regularly training and improving the standards of service we offer.

Should you wish to return please contact me personally and I will happily oversee your booking for you and try to ensure your stay is memorable for all the right reasons.

Customer Service Manager.
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
#1 of 1 in Aldridge
Three Horseshoes Country Inn & Spa
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,497 reviews

Been to Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!