“Gone down hill”

Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hoar Cross
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

I've stayed in this spa hotel 5 times and unfortunately this time, there was a noticeable difference to the service in the hotel.
On this occasion I booked as part of a group on a special offer. It was almost as if the hotel can't cope with the volume of people and there were queues to check in, for lunch, there were never any free sun loungers and service was poor in the restaurants.
Fine to have these great deals, but the number of people should be capped so that the overall enjoyment isn't lost. The staff clearly can't cope with the volume of people.
People hold sun loungers with their towels/dressing gowns and not returned for hours and yet the staff do nothing to remove these despite signs saying they would.

The hotel needs a major refurbishment and facelift. Areas look grubby and dirty.
For a spa hotel that calls itself "luxury", it needs some drastic work doing to it.

Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Janparton
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Jan Parton,

Thank you for your review, we have now taken a full time pool attendant to stop guests hogging the loungers when they are off using other facilities, she will be removing the towels and locking away for safety any personal belongings until they return, she will also keep the water areas safe and tidy.
In addition to this we have also purchased new loungers and have ordered padded covers for them for extra comfort.

Our refurbishment is now underway and we are hoping will be complete by the end of the year, I do hope you will return to see some of the exciting new things coming our way.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed here for 2 days and 1 night. There are a lot of good things to say about hoar cross but there are some improvements that would make it even better.
The grounds are gorgeous and the setting in the staffordshire countryside. The gardens and woodland walk are nice to stroll around after dinner. I read mixed reviews about the food on T.A but we found all the meals were lovely. The evening meal had a good choice and was cooked well. The only negatives was charging extra for a side dish of vegetables and coffee should be included but is extra too. I did get the impression that some penny pinching was evident during our stay which was disappointing- the worst being they don't provide slippers! I have never been to a spa where the disposable slippers are not supplied. Consequently people were walking around in all sorts of flip flops and slippers, not hygienic at all. It did strike me as a scene from carry on camping at times with mr fiddler charging for all extras. Oh you can BUY these disposable slippers by the way! Unlike other spas that have juices and drinks dotted around the place that are free there aren't any here, yes there is water about but that's your lot. There are numerous cafés where you can buy drinks. There is just one room where you can have free tea and coffee but it is best avoided as it stinks of stale fags as the smokers area is outside. The bedroom was nice, really large and overlooking the garden. The only problem was the decor as it seriously needs updating, it looked like it was last touched at least 15/20 years ago. It was very clean and comfortable though, but reminded me of the dynasty era. If all the rooms are like this it will cost a fortune to upgrade them. The spa bath was lovely too but again was really old and the settings didn't all work. The staff were all professional and pleasant during our stay and we had a massage each that was very nice. As for the spa itself, that was good, the biggest problem though was that half of it was out of use on both our days. There are two pools, the newer one and the old one-which was out of use. This meant that double the people were crammed into the one spa. There were not enough loungers for people which really did not please us. I would recommend before booking to check that there is not any maintenance before going,- if we had known I would have rebooked. We popped up to a relaxation room that I will call the graveyard for massage chairs, it was like a dingy old folks home with a host of knackered massage chairs gathered around. Most of them were broken and the ones that did work were ineffective. Clearly they haven't bothered to do anything about them as my mother who visited last year told me they were broken then. That isn't good enough. All in all we had a pleasant time, but there are lots of improvements that need to be made to bring it up to date all over, as at the moment it is a mixture of really old and tatty and really new. There is no consistency which is its biggest flaw.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank F1ossy
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear F1ossy,

Thank you for writing us a review, I am pleased to say we have now started our refurbishment and we hope should you return you will see a big difference.
We have water beds coming to replace the massage chairs which I hope you will agree will be very enjoyable.

Please be assured we do take all feedback on board and we are constantly striving to meet the standards to which we aspire.

Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel has had a refurb since my last visit and it's a lot better!

The spa is very large offering two pools and two seperate spa areas which gives great variety. With lots of classes, tennis, bikes to hire for free, outdoor gardens, large gym, treatments and 3 spa experience areas to explore you will have plenty to do.

We stayed in the 'princess Laura' room which had it's own terrace, very nice!

Only negative is that the food is overpriced for what you receive. £30 for three courses or £25 for two. However the restaurant is grand and service very good.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank GemiWinks

Dear Le Miss Chief,

Thank you for writing us a review, we do have lots to offer with a different class every hour throughout the day and for every fitness level, I am delighted you enjoyed your visit so much and got to use so many of the facilities.

I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

My sister and I took a short break at this hotel with our 90 year old blind wheelchair bound mother. We had thought this is likely to be the last time we could take our mother away as she is now going in to a care home. The people at Hoar Cross were amazing. Every member of staff was truly fantastic from the lovely ladies on reception who rushed around to find us bin bags and parcel tape so we could cover a dressing on her leg to get her in the shower. To the lovely Leigh a young porter who helped us to push mother around the grounds to get her outside to the Jazz BBQ. To the lovely lady running the BBQ who without even being asked asked if mother needed a blanket and cushion. To the lovely cleaning lady who when I warned her mother was sitting in her room while my sister and I went for a swim and might not hear if she wanted to service the room volunteered to check on her for us. To the Maître D of the breakfast room who was so kind assisting us with moving furniture to sit her comfortablyThe owners of the Spa must be so proud of their staff who moved heaven and Earth for us.
The food was also beautiful and the facilities brilliant. We will be back!

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room mother was in 106 which was pretty good for a disabled room very accessib...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Una H

Dear Una H,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, it is just wonderful to know our staff made a difference to the experience your Mother had when you stayed with us recently.

I will pass on your very kind comments to the staff who will be delighted, we hope to see you all again and send our best wishes to your lovely Mother who was just a joy when I meet her.

Customer Service Manager

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Hoar cross hall is a wonderful place to enjoy with a friend for a completely relaxing overnight stay. The hotel is fantastic. The food is delicious, the countryside surrounding it is beautiful, the staff friendly and helpful. My friend and I enjoy going there for an overnight stay, some precious beauty treatment and some truly healthy food. Sometimes the hotel does special offers so it is worth going on their site and they will inform you if an offer is coming up ! From the minute you arrive, everything is so easy, from booking in to going to your beautiful room . I would recommend hoar cross to everyone, even though I would like to keep it a secret

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful. Go and enjoy
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Polly G,

Thank you for this review, I am so delighted you and your friends enjoy your time here at Hoar Cross Hall, we adore welcoming back the regular guests that have stayed loyal to us and want to visit for some well deserved TLC.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

My sister and I have been coming here for ten years - it is our real treat of the year, and we have always enjoyed it.
We arrived at 11.30, and our rooms were ready straight away which was great. As always, the room was clean and luxurious. You are issued with robes, but these are cheap-feeling new robes that are shorter than the previous robes, and not as roomy. Also, you only get one towel.
We got into our robes then went down for lunch. It was okay, but not as nice as two years ago (when I believe the son took over the running of the hotel from his father). The whole salmon has gone, and the options are quite limited. I had baked potatoes and cheese for lunch, followed by victoria sponge! It was tasty and I enjoyed it.
We were lucky to secure a sun lounger each by the pool, and we enjoyed a swim and a spell in the steam room. Some of the facilities were out of order, which is a bit annoying. We each had a pleasant massage, then met up later on in the slumber lounge. The new massage chairs are horrid - they are very uncomfortable, flimsy and noisy. I opted instead to sit on one of the comfy sofas with a cosy blanket. Lovely.
Back to the room for a glorious power shower. We met at the champagne bar, and my sis paid a whopping £6.25 for a 175ml glass of rose! Yikes! My cider was an expensive £4.20. Into the dining room for our evening meal, which was enjoyable, but not at the same standard that I remember from a few years ago. The choices were limited too. You don't get a free cup of coffee after your meal any more - yet another cost-cutting exercise that is noticable.The service was attentive and friendly.
My sister and I went and sat in the long gallery after dinner, and listened to the wonderful pianist, which was a lovely end to a lovely day.
The following morning, we ate a lovely breakfast, although the sausages tasted a little cheap (more cost-cutting?). The staff were attentive and polite.
We were, again, lucky to secure a sun lounger by the pool, and the facilities that had been closed the previous day were now up and running. We spent a lovely few hours reading, swimming and having a lazy time. The comfy wooden sunbeds in the large relaxation room next to the pool have been replaced with black metal sunbeds that look extremely uncomfortable. I'm glad we didn't have to lie on them.
In days gone by, you used to get 2 lunches with an overnight stay - now you must pay an extra £15. For what you get, this is extortion! Not of the hot options appealed to either my sister nor I, there were no baked potatoes, so I had a ham roll, a piece of quiche, and a bowl of pudding. Very very expensive for what it was.
I know I sound like I'm moaning, but I remember the golden years when free tea and coffee was served in the long gallery, you got a 25 minute back massage included in your stay, and the second lunch was free. Now, it feels extremely over-priced and poor value for money.
Will we come back? Probably. I just wish that the new manager would listen to what his loyal customers are telling him, and consider reinstating the things that made this place 5 star.

Room Tip: \If you book early enough you can have a single room for no extra cost
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Sarahprh

Dear Sarah prh,
Thank you for your feedback, the package rate for midweek used to be £175 per person, yes this did include a 25 minute facial or massage and an extra lunch, we have now reduced the price for midweek to £149 per person and some offers even cheaper giving our guests the discount so they can put this saving towards a treatment they really want, not ever guests want lunch both days and now you have the choice and can just use one of the cafes which is a cheaper option.
The new metal loungers are also having pads on them to make relaxing a much better experience for you.
We do of course still offer unlimited complimentary tea/coffee in our sun terrace lounge for both residents and day guests to enjoy.

I am delighted the staff were welcoming and helpful and hope you visit again and get to enjoy the new features we are purchasing in our refurbishment.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

My husband and I visited on Friday 25th April as a birthday treat for him. We had never been there before and were very impressed by the look of the building as we approached. It was lovely and historic in the main building and check in was easy and quick. We stayed in one of the suites which was absolutely beautiful . It was on two floors and had a private balcony with a hot tub which was good fun. The Spa itself was very good and on the Friday we arrived was not too busy. We managed to get seats by the pool and had a relaxing chill out. Free tea & coffee was available in the Garden Room . We both had spa treatments - I had a pedicure and facial and my husband had an Indian Head massage and a body massage - which we both enjoyed very much. The buffet lunch and evening meal were great - the food actually far exceeded our expectations. Would definitely recommend this Hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear Tracey H,

Thank you for this great review I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us
It’s wonderful that we exceeded your expectations and that you would recommend our hotel to others. Many thanks and very best wishes we hope to welcome you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoar Cross
#2 of 7 in Lichfield
Stone House Hotel
Stone House Hotel
#2 of 5 in Stone

Been to Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!