“welcoming to a gay couple” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel

Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hoar Cross
“welcoming to a gay couple”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

My partner and I (gay male couple) have just come back from a weekend at this hotel. I found the weekend break on Secret Escapes and booked us both in as a birthday present to my partner. I was slightly anxious about going as this was our first ever spa break and I was anticipating we would stick out like sore thumbs as a male couple in an ocean of robe-wearing females. What we found was that yes, there is obviously more women than men at a spa hotel (no-brainer), but there were men there with women and the whole atmosphere was relaxed, non-claustrophobic and familiar in terms of both staff and other guests.
Check-in late on Friday evening was uncomplicated and our check-in guy was very friendly, polite and gave us a nice warm welcome issuing us with welcome packs.
Room I would say was only disappointment. It was a "classic room", so I wasn't expecting a royal suite, but what we had was a small corner room with an oversized chandelier and very little room to walk around. I think also for a male couple the bed was on the small size. The bathroom was lovely though and had a nice jacuzzi-bath which we loved.
Breakfast and lunch follow a buffet-style in a very bright and cheering restaurant overlooking one of the many pools, and the food was of an excellent quality with fresh meats and a huge selection. Staff were lovely.
Dinner was served in a palacial ballroom and the food we both agreed was of a good quality. The waitress we had was gentle, polite and welcoming but I feel overstretched and maybe they need some more people serving.
The spa itself was what impressed us most. We come from London which has spa's that are actually overcrowded pools with a few sauna's scattered around it. This spa was overwhelming huge, to the point that we got lost trying to find different pools. Even without cycling, archery, walking the beautiful grounds, there was enough to occupy us for a whole day just in our swimwear. Hydrotherapy pools, multiple foot massages, saltwater pools, so many jacuzzi's, and none too overcrowded. My partner went for a back massage and hand treatment at one point and I had no problems finding a deck chair to sit at the pool and read - really relaxing and exactly what I wanted.

In conclusion, we were anxious about coming to a mostly-female hotel for a weekend break but left feeling relaxed and that we got value for money (via secret escapes - cannot really judge prices without this as we got an offer). I think maybe the hotel needs to market itself more in gay magazines as I can imagine gay groups would be attracted to this style of weekend, and there are already lots of male treatments that would appeal.

3 Thank Matt O
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Matt O,

Thank you for your review.

I am so pleased to read you enjoyed your time with us and managed to fit in some of our wonderful spa facilities. We do have 96 rooms in the hotel so should you return and you feel your room is a little on the small size please ask at main reception and if possible we can get you moved, we always aim to please customer service and satisfaction is very important to us.

We hope to welcome you both back here soon.
Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (395)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

I had an amazing o earning hot stay this weekend 17th may. Everything about it was perfect. The food was excellent so was the service and the grounds and building is lovely very English. I had a 60 minute full body massage that was to did for. I will definitely be returning and recommending this place to my friends.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sharon S
Dear Sharon S,

Thank you for writing us this review.

I am delighted you enjoyed your visit so much and you wish to return to us, it makes me extremely happy to read that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay, thank you for sharing your comments.

Rugeley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

My partner and I had a morning relaxing at hoar cross, we enjoyed it thoroughly, we spent 1 hour using all of the facilities round the pool, and then had a relaxing coffee outside in wonderful surrounding, a casual walk around the beautiful garden before a splendid lunch, a most relaxing morning, recommended, I will certainly do it again.

1 Thank Roydw1944
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2014
Dear Roydw 1944,

Thank you for taking the time to write us this review.

We are delighted you enjoyed your time with us and managed to see the wonderful gardens.
I am so pleased you wish to return and hope we can welcome you both back soon.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

We planned a wedding in a matter of 5 weeks and decided we wanted somewhere to host a dinner for our 20 guests to we spoke to Hoar Cross about booking a private dining room. Claire who helped us organise was fantastic and I would recommend to anyone looking to host a meal for a special occasion... The room was fantastically priced (and at no point did they charge extras or try to get is to pay for an expensive wedding package as I know at lot of hotels do to make it worth their while) and was beautiful with gorgeous chandeliers and views over the gardens. The 3 course meal at £35 per head was great value .. We had about 6 or 7 variations on each course so our guests could choose own meals rather than a set menu and they all came out at the same time... The waiter staff we brilliant... So attentive, friendly and professional. Jamie and Alison in particular were fab! Nothing was too much effort for them. We continued till around 11pm and the staff were on hand right till the very end. The hotel itself is stunning... Spa area has plenty of variety and different spaces to enjoy and relax so although busy it never felt too crowed. After checking out the day after our wedding meal we set off on a honeymoon which was a complete disaster as the hotel we booked for a 3 night stay turned out to be more like Fawlty towers... We called hoar cross and explained asking them for a deal for the following 2 nights to rescue our honeymoon and they did not disappoint! We were put up in a suite called 'princess Elizabeth' which was amazing beyond words.... With stunning interior, a sun terrace and sauna. We are so thankful to Claire and the team for what they did for us. We could not fault anything from the service, effort and attention to detail of the staff, gorgeous rooms, evening meals and grounds. All our wedding guests are looking to return on spa days and/or overnight stays of their own.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Mrsc101214
Dear Mrs C101214,

Many congratulations and best wishes for a long and happy life together from Hoar Cross Hall.

We are delighted you choose us to be part of your big day and that the whole experience went so well for your both, thank you for taking the time to write us this wonderful review and for your kind words about the staff, I will pass your comments on to them and I know they will be thrilled they could make a difference for you. We are always happy to offer a specific one off exclusive package for anyone looking for something distinct.

Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

We just had a really lovely overnight stay in a beautiful room with very comfy four poster bed overlooking the stunning landscaped gardens.our Experience was thoroughly delightful and the atmosphere in the dining room was comfortably busy with a very reasonable three course meal which was delicious and accompanied by relaxing live piano entertainment. The staff we encountered were pleasant attentive and professional. Obviously there is refurbishment going on which can only enhance further in the future but we did not suffer any inconvenience at all during our stay. We did notice coffee not automatically offered at the end of the meal but it is available you just ask for it.
Our breakfast was terrific, with good quality and plentiful choice.
All in all it was a really lovely stay which we would be very happy to repeat.

Room Tip: We stayed in the original part of the house which has great character so if that is what you are loo...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank JOH186
Dear Joh 186,

Thank you for writing us this review.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay, I agree the view from our four poster bedded room (434) is just wonderful overlooking the formal gardens.

We have now started our refurbishment and we are all very excited about the new look we are going to get, I hope you like it too and we see you soon.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

This grand manor is incredible as your drive on the approach. Staff very welcoming and a great start...from that onwards, I found the place to be the antithesis of relaxation. No beds in the pools available, no free slippers, towels and gowns dropped everywhere and people, people, people. Overbooked seems to be a thread on TA and the place needs some TLC.

Food was great, staff very friendly and the setting is awesome. Just feel the core product is not to standard and is nowhere near the luxury the bricks and mortar deserve.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Buckee1
Dear Buckee 1,
Thank you for writing us a review.

I do feel your tittle is a little unfair and nothing could be further from the truth as we have now started our major refurbishment, and have just taken delivery of some wonderful new water beds for guests to use complimentary, this is just one of many new items we are going to introduce at the very start of this exciting project.

I am pleased however you found the building and grounds awesome and the staff friendly, I hope you will able to visit us again when our work is complete.

Travellers are raving about these Hoar Cross hotels

England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Enjoyed a weekend spa break at this hotel with my partner.
We enjoyed the spa but the directions to the hotel facilities were poor. The spa pools are magnificent and the overall experience was good.

The food was average and the service was dreadful during Saturday evening. There did not appear to have a manager present. The attention to detail was lacking and we had to ask the waiting staff for water several times. The food lacked seasoning and tasted bland. The menu wasn't particularly exciting.
The pianist was excellent and we really enjoyed listening to the music.
Breakfast and lunch time service was more efficient due to the presence of management and more attentive staff.
The hotel room was really lovely and very clean. The reception staff were friendly and check in / check out was quick.
Overall the experience was average.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Pearl2009
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Pearl 2009,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.

I will pass on your feedback to our food and beverage team about the lack of attention and detail at your evening meal, I do apologise for any disappointment this caused.

I am delighted to see you found the reception staff friendly and enjoyed your room, please be assured customer service and satisfaction is very important to us and we are constantly striving to improve in all areas so that we can achieve the standard to which we aspire.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoar Cross
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
#1 of 1 in Aldridge
Three Horseshoes Country Inn & Spa
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,488 reviews

Been to Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!